Computers & Electronics

Spam and bitcoin emails. How do i stop them from emailing me?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2020 12:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
113 posts
33 upvotes

Spam and bitcoin emails. How do i stop them from emailing me?

Hi.
I believe about a year ago my Hotmail account was cracked.
Around that time, I received an email saying they know my password because they did include that information in the email and asked me to pay. I ignored the email and I changed my password with 9+ characters. For a year long, i stopped getting those emails. Recently, I'm getting these kinds of email again and I'm kind of annoyed.

I guess I cannot stop them from emailing me since they use different email accounts? I guess the only way is to terminate my email account entirely?

The only thing holding me back is that i cannot update my email address on certain websites that i am registered to.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
Shark828 wrote: Hi.
I believe about a year ago my Hotmail account was cracked.
Around that time, I received an email saying they know my password because they did include that information in the email and asked me to pay. I ignored the email and I changed my password with 9+ characters. For a year long, i stopped getting those emails. Recently, I'm getting these kinds of email again and I'm kind of annoyed.

I guess I cannot stop them from emailing me since they use different email accounts? I guess the only way is to terminate my email account entirely?

The only thing holding me back is that i cannot update my email address on certain websites that i am registered to.
These are generic spam emails. They're driven from a massive list of email accounts and passwords from a variety of hacked websites. I doubt that your Hotmail account was "hacked," but instead you probably used the same password on another site (as many people do) and it was associated with your Shark828@hotmail.com address. There's nothing you can do to get them to stop except to either delete your account or set up aggressive spam filtering, assuming that you're using a desktop email client.

Enter your email address on this site and it will give you a list of breached websites that leaked your information: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
113 posts
33 upvotes
Thank you for the reply. I will terminate my email soon. I need to move on in life.
Jul 6, 2017
149 posts
95 upvotes
Why would you switch e-mail addresses? There is no risk, as long as you change any compromised passwords. Just delete the spam.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3843 posts
1048 upvotes
Just keep sending it to the junk folder in hotmail or the phishing button.. eventually the filter will just filter these emails out. You always have to have one junk email address.....
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1034 posts
628 upvotes
Vancouver
Hotmail has email message forwarding. I have it set to forward to Gmail, which has an excellent SPAM filter and sends all such emails to SPAM.

Apart from that, I can suggest reporting the SPAM to Hotmail (so that they can improve their filters) and reporting it to SPAMCOP.NET (sends alerts to the hosting company/email sending provider)

Also as everyone else mentions, there is no risk and those emails are auto-generated from password leak lists. Stick to randomly generated passwords and use a password manager to ensure that even if a password is compromised it is NBD.

Finally enable 2 Factor Authentication wherever possible. Maybe even a H/W based key such as Google Titan
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42361 posts
6733 upvotes
Always employ good password hygiene and never use the same password twice. Also do not make the passwords easy for the threat actors to crack via brute force or dictionary based attacks. Use a password manager if you have to. Minimum 12 characters.
Proud to be an Indian.
Jun 15, 2011
42361 posts
6733 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Hotmail has email message forwarding. I have it set to forward to Gmail, which has an excellent SPAM filter and sends all such emails to SPAM.

Apart from that, I can suggest reporting the SPAM to Hotmail (so that they can improve their filters) and reporting it to SPAMCOP.NET (sends alerts to the hosting company/email sending provider)

Also as everyone else mentions, there is no risk and those emails are auto-generated from password leak lists. Stick to randomly generated passwords and use a password manager to ensure that even if a password is compromised it is NBD.

Finally enable 2 Factor Authentication wherever possible. Maybe even a H/W based key such as Google Titan
You never replied to my other post with your questions haha.
Proud to be an Indian.
Apr 29, 2018
1034 posts
628 upvotes
Vancouver
djemzine wrote: You never replied to my other post with your questions haha.
Hahaha I was just pulling your leg