• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 4:16 am
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9085 posts
1236 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it...
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25684 posts
3187 upvotes
Montreal
https://theconversation.com/amp/compare ... ion-138895

Interestingly you see the three waves that are similar in timing to what we see. Hopefully we get a break in February and third wave gets cut by vaccines

It should be noted in 1918 people had only limited evidence of the existence of viruses was and yet they managed to implement containment measures
Banned
Oct 14, 2020
72 posts
131 upvotes
it's crazy to think that 100 years later, the same thing is happening.
At least we don't have a World War as the backdrop.
Though maybe we need one.
Banned
Aug 13, 2020
30 posts
10 upvotes
None of you business…
mr_raider wrote: https://theconversation.com/amp/compare ... ion-138895

Interestingly you see the three waves that are similar in timing to what we see. Hopefully we get a break in February and third wave gets cut by vaccines

It should be noted in 1918 people had only limited evidence of the existence of viruses was and yet they managed to implement containment measures
I'm not sure the article actually says this and it seems to suggest to the contrary. "All this means that oscillations in COVID-19 cases are unlikely to come with the predictability that discussions of influenza “waves” in 1918-19 might suggest."
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3769 posts
3853 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: https://theconversation.com/amp/compare ... ion-138895

Funny story. I read the OP's link this morning and had to Google the past to see how things played out.

The two biggest differences b/w the Spanish Flu and COVID-19

1) The Internet/media
2) COVID-19's lack of death everywhere versus the Spanish Flu.

Both will increase the time this virus gets in control. If everyone under the sun was dying left right and center all of us would sign up to get a vaccine injected ASAP. We're not seeing that, so I am very curious to see how COVID-19 plays out from a vaccination/long tail perspective
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2015
149 posts
59 upvotes
Calgary, AB
angryaudifanatic wrote: Funny story. I read the OP's link this morning and had to Google the past to see how things played out.

The two biggest differences b/w the Spanish Flu and COVID-19

1) The Internet/media
2) COVID-19's lack of death everywhere versus the Spanish Flu.

Both will increase the time this virus gets in control. If everyone under the sun was dying left right and center all of us would sign up to get a vaccine injected ASAP. We're not seeing that, so I am very curious to see how COVID-19 plays out from a vaccination/long tail perspective
There was an even bigger difference between the Spanish Flu and COVID-19, namely, the advances in medical science between then and now. In 1918, there were no anti-viral drugs, no ventilators, not even any such thing as penicillin to help fight secondary bacterial infections caused by the flu. Microbiology was still in its infancy as a science. They did have x-rays to look at patient's lungs, but not every hospital had x-ray machines yet. All they could do was isolate patients and manage their symptoms.