• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2016 11:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
19 posts

Spare car keys

can anyone suggest a place that cuts spare cars. I have 2014 ford edge remote starter installed so I have extra remote but no extra key. Dealership want $300
was looking on amazon at the keys but not sure if they will work.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14084 posts
9301 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Only place is dealership, I don't think mom and pop shop will cut car keys (illegal).

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2183 posts
872 upvotes
GTA
Keys now (last 10 years or so) have the immobilizer chip in them to prevent theft, that is partly why they are $300. Weird you only got one key, all my cars have come with 2, sometimes a third valet key.

Is the remote starter the genuine ford option or a third party after market, because the dealer might have used your "second" key to enable the remote starter. They actually put the chip from the key or the key it's self inside the steering column to allow the third party starter to work. With out the chip near the ignition some third party starter won't work, this also allow a would-be thief to just put a screw driver in and turn and your car will start.

I'd ask Ford Canada head office how many keys you should have received. and then follow up with the dealer you purchased from.
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
How much is it to duplicate a basic vehicle key (no fancy remote or chip) just door and ignition key

Sorry to derail a little but I figured it wasn't worth a whole thread to ask this.
2003 Ford Ranger Std Cab
Jan 2, 2009
256 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Jaimz2k wrote: How much is it to duplicate a basic vehicle key (no fancy remote or chip) just door and ignition key

Sorry to derail a little but I figured it wasn't worth a whole thread to ask this.
Depends on the make/model and year of the car. It'll probably be a lot cheaper to get a duplicate key for an older GM/Ford than for a brand new Mercedes.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6076 posts
1572 upvotes
For most cars, it's under $10 at Wally World. It's just a piece of metal.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1265 posts
1253 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Only place is dealership, I don't think mom and pop shop will cut car keys (illegal).
Since when?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6420 posts
2085 upvotes
BC
Re.: Jaimz2k
Although immobilizers were not mandatory in Canada until 2007, many cars since the early 1990's have a transponder in their ignition key (even without remote locking option).

To make a basic duplicate key just able to lock and unlock the doors is dependent on the key cutting kiosk having a suitable blank to work from. (There is no way you are going to get a key cut there that will start the car.)
It maybe just a piece of metal, but they can't duplicate your key just for the door locks without the correct baseline, and they are not likely to stock blanks suitable for the complete range of vehicles.
House keys are their raison d'etre.

A professional locksmith is more likely to be able to help but will need your VIN and proof of ownership.
May 12, 2003
823 posts
252 upvotes
I got one cut for $40 last year, including the key itself
2011 lexus key...

he took out the chip from the old key and put it in the new key....
Dec 15, 2005
471 posts
34 upvotes
dladie wrote: can anyone suggest a place that cuts spare cars. I have 2014 ford edge remote starter installed so I have extra remote but no extra key. Dealership want $300
was looking on amazon at the keys but not sure if they will work.
Have you searched kijiji locally? In Montreal they're offering chip keys for about $150, half price.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1739 posts
1488 upvotes
You can get a new key cloned for very cheap. it will be an exact duplicate of the original key and will not be necessary to program it to the vehicle.

Call locksmiths in your area
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1495 upvotes
Montreal
i was able to get the casing and blank on ebay for $5. kent cutt the key for $5. I did this when I mangled my key, the immobilizer was intact and I swapped that out. If it wasn't, id need that still, but getting the key alone would have saved me $150.

I have been told some locksmiths can get the immobilizers for the car keys, but I am not sure how accurate that is.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2751 posts
1976 upvotes
Very cheap to get done. In fact search here.

Get oem key....key cut and program is 50-60
Feb 7, 2009
741 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
I had mine done at Part Source 2 years back... for a '00 Accord with immobilizer key. It was a pretty crappy job cause I have to jig it around in the hole for the key to work properly sometimes. Cost ~80...