• Feb 11th, 2021 11:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jan 31, 2021
22 posts
14 upvotes

Spare too old?

I have a donut spare that came with my car, and the tire was manufactured in 2007. Since it's a donut, it's suppose to be inflated at 60PSI.

Am I weird to be concerned topping up this tire? Since it's so old, can't it explode at such a high PSI?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9170 posts
3427 upvotes
IT's fine, don't overthink it.

Maybe just give a tap every now and then to make sure it is full.

Or, just get road side assistance and don't be bothered with changing spares at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5736 posts
2524 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Spare in my car is at least 3 years older. It'll most likely be fine as long you don't cracks in the sidewall.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2913 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Spare tire should be fine, ideally you would only use it for a short period (to get home or mechanic) and there is a speed limit on the tire sometimes. So should be fine in an emergency however I would not drive on it for weeks.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4185 posts
3473 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Melancolic wrote: I have a donut spare that came with my car, and the tire was manufactured in 2007. Since it's a donut, it's suppose to be inflated at 60PSI.

Am I weird to be concerned topping up this tire? Since it's so old, can't it explode at such a high PSI?
Take it out of the trunk and inspect it all around for signs of aging such as cracks in the rubber, any areas that seem to have hardened, etc. Check the pressure and top it up if needed. If everything looks good then you’re probably good to go another few years. It’s not going to explode in the trunk just sitting there, if it’s going to fail from age then it’ll fail when it’s under load when being driven on. So if you do need to use it in the future just keep the speed low and minimize the distance travelled on it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1624 posts
730 upvotes
Ontario
Best way to check it is to take it out and let the air out and check for cracks etc then, much easier when you can flex the sidewalls etc more. Then refill it to spec and put it back if good...
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Feb 9th, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Jun 10, 2008
461 posts
331 upvotes
Halton Hills
It's fine. Just top it up to 60psi once or twice a year.
Jun 4, 2020
562 posts
474 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I am with the rest of everyone here. Would also like to add that the tire in the bottom of your trunk isn't subject to UV, or anything else you pick up off the road - generally should be in pretty good condition.