• Dec 28th, 2019 11:12 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8270 posts
1829 upvotes
Toronto

Speakout 7-11 expiry date

I am currently on Speakout 7-11 prepaid and my balance expires on Dec 25th. Does that mean I have until the end of Dec 25th to top up my account, or do I have to refill before Dec 25th hits in order to carry over any existing balance?

I read the FAQ but it doesn't directly address this. https://www.speakoutwireless.ca
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7967 posts
2661 upvotes
Maple
appleb wrote: I am currently on Speakout 7-11 prepaid and my balance expires on Dec 25th. Does that mean I have until the end of Dec 25th to top up my account, or do I have to refill before Dec 25th hits in order to carry over any existing balance?

I read the FAQ but it doesn't directly address this. https://www.speakoutwireless.ca
Today is 24th, why don't you refill today without taking chances?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4324 posts
4377 upvotes
Vancouver
As I recall, it's the date stated, but the exact expiry time is uncertain, and of course there's no guarantee that that the web site or phone top-up will be functioning correctly on any given day. If it goes down, it probably won't get fixed on Christmas Day.

Do what teoconca said, pay at least one day early to be sure.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8270 posts
1829 upvotes
Toronto
M-e-X-x wrote: Happened to my mom before and there was a one week grace period. Not sure if that still exists.
The FAQ says there is a one week grace period, but I'm a bit concerned if that means my cell will be disconnected for the first half of the day until I submit the top up.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1039 upvotes
Kelowna
appleb wrote: The FAQ says there is a one week grace period, but I'm a bit concerned if that means my cell will be disconnected for the first half of the day until I submit the top up.
Then I'd reload a day early, if that's your main concern. Ztar Mobile would likely restore your balance if that was your main concern, but since inaccessibility to your phone is your main concern, do it today and not a day later. Don't mess around. Don't seek any more second opinions from the RFD community. Do not take the chance that you will not be able to pass GO and end up in "prepaid account jail." (Apologies for the Monopoly metaphor.)

Personally, for me, I wouldn't worry about my phone being disconnected for a few days as I so seldom use it, so would probably renew within the 1-week grace period. But, in your case, that's not your main concern so do it today.

Thanks,
Doug
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
Dude, you're gaming the system for what amounts to one day.
Just top today.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1039 upvotes
Kelowna
death_hawk wrote: Dude, you're gaming the system for what amounts to one day.
Just top today.
Agreed. I rarely use downvotes, but I think this thread qualifies.

No useful purpose to it, really.

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
Expiry on the 25th means it expires on the 24th at midnight. If you don't top up today, you'll lose whatever balance you have left.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1039 upvotes
Kelowna
jackrabbit000 wrote: Expiry on the 25th means it expires on the 24th at midnight.
Most of the time, yes, but sometimes it means midnight on the day of, depending on how the company words it and/or their intelligence level.

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1449 posts
1661 upvotes
BC
By law, you now have a 7 day grace period to reload your account without losing the balance, so don't fret whether expiry of Dec 25th means expires at 12:01EST Dec. 25th or 11:59 EST Dec. 25th, just reload on Dec. 25th. It usually means 11:59PM of Dec. 25th. But don't try to game the 7 day grace period in case you forget the next time.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3762 posts
996 upvotes
Doesn't Speakout have 365 day expiration on all top ups?....... so i don't see a day or two early making a difference.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1676 posts
410 upvotes
Mississauga
jackrabbit000 wrote: Expiry on the 25th means it expires on the 24th at midnight. If you don't top up today, you'll lose whatever balance you have left.
wrong
Upon the expiry of the commitment period of a prepaid customer, a service provider must allow at least seven calendar days for the customer to top up their account, at no charge, in order to maintain an active account and retain any existing balance.
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Expiry on the 25th means it expires on the 24th at midnight. If you don't top up today, you'll lose whatever balance you have left.
I would read that as expires on the 25th as in 23:59 on the 25th or "midnight" on the 26th.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1039 upvotes
Kelowna
Okay, this thread is well covered. It's past the 25th. Everyone has provided helpful information.

No further replies are needed.

Thanks,
Doug