Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
spywhite wrote: "SpeakOut Data Update

We regret to notify users that the Data services will be delayed.

The good news is that Browse Feature will continue in its current format until Data service begins later this year.

We apologize to the users who have been patiently waiting for Data Services.

Once we have confirmed the Data launch dates, we will update the website.

We thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to improve SpeakOut Wireless’ program."

Of course this probably means they are waiting and will kill all UMB plans through all providers in one swoop.
Thanks for the update, spywhite.

From browsing this 230+ page thread, it's pretty obvious most SpeakOut (and Petro) customers stick with them for the cheap UMB/data plan (face it - most of the posts are about using proxy/VPN to enable data apps and tethering).

Based on the negative feedback following the announcement that UMB would be cancelled, SpeakOut probably saw the writing on the wall. Either they'd face a mass exit of customers switching to the new entrants (WIND/mobilicity offer unltd calling and 5-20Gb data for only $15 more) or, as suggested, ditching data altogether and going wifi-only.

Also, the UMB cancellation announcement came literally a month after SpeakOut encouraged subscribers to buy $100 refills with a bonus promo, most of them intending to use those top-ups to pay for UMB. Justifiably, that did not sit well with subscribers like anh2003.

SpeakOut (and Petro) continued existence likely hinges on UMB. They're probably trying to delay the decision as long as possible, hoping perhaps to convince Rogers to either let them continue with it (Rogers once offered $10 UMB on its branded prepay, but discontinued it years ago) or allow them to offer something better than the standard $10/100Mb, $25/500Mb, $35/1Gb prepaid data rates - knowing those rates wouldn't be accepted by their current UMB subs. For the sceptics, this is proof that calling companies out on price-gouging has an impact.

Interesting development.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
3132 posts
461 upvotes
Good I guess, that means 100MB for $10 isn't what speakout wanted from rogers? One can hope
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2008
1144 posts
219 upvotes
End of nowhere
I'd think it has trouble to get it's billing system ready.
Feb 8, 2013
42 posts
5 upvotes
Sweet. Atleast we'll be able to stick with 2GBs of data for a couple more months!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4841 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
htrab1 wrote: Thanks for the update, spywhite.

From browsing this 230+ page thread, it's pretty obvious most SpeakOut (and Petro) customers stick with them for the cheap UMB/data plan (face it - most of the posts are about using proxy/VPN to enable data apps and tethering).
I would like to respectfully disagree. I think you are drawing an incomplete conclusion, based on a very narrow data set.

Had you said that "it's pretty obvious most SpeakOut customers RESPONDING IN THIS THREAD stick with them for the cheap UMB", I'd be willing to let you argue your claim. Of the six people that I know who are using SpeakOut wireless, only ONE of them is using the UMB, and that's me. And that sample size is so small that I'm not willing to make the claim that most people actually are not using SpeakOut primarily for the UMB.

Just because you stick the word "obvious" in there does not actually make it true.
Rock it.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
Apologies if this is a dumb question but, is speakout coverage Canada wide? Or is it just provincial based?

I'm going to Toronto soon and would like to know if I can evade the roaming costs.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14210 posts
5821 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LegobrandonCP wrote: Apologies if this is a dumb question but, is speakout coverage Canada wide? Or is it just provincial based?

I'm going to Toronto soon and would like to know if I can evade the roaming costs.
Speakout minutes are Canada wide minutes and here is the coverage map.
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/support/coverage

Oops.. spoke too soon... don't think minutes are Canada wide minutes, but coverage is national.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23521 posts
19090 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
LegobrandonCP wrote: Apologies if this is a dumb question but, is speakout coverage Canada wide?
UMB is Canada-wide with no surcharge for roaming outside your home coverage zone. Cell phone calls are, as others have said, subject to surcharge outside your home zone. (Zone > area code in parts of BC and ON.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14210 posts
5821 upvotes
Toronto, ON
icemasta wrote: Value Plan minutes are Canada-wide, PPU minutes are local.
Thanks... so I wasn't going crazy in thinking it was Canada-wide.. I knew I read that somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
speakout is strange in handling canada wide. Receiving I believe is always canada wide(i.e. no extra roaming charge).

As for dialing out, it doesn't matter where you are, but who you call and their area code. So you can dial 604#(assuming you are also 604) when you are in Toronto and it is still local call charge.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
chdude3 wrote: Just because you stick the word "obvious" in there does not actually make it true.
It is pretty obvious that he is dead wrong ;-)

For most people UMB is too technically challenged to be useful(proxy etc.), and speakout can close the shop if that is the majority. People here are the minority.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23521 posts
19090 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
chimp wrote: For most people UMB is too technically challenged to be useful(proxy etc.)
That's why SO needs to have a true data plan that has no restrictions on how it's used (apart from bandwidth usage.) Most people who have smartphones want the ability to use any app that's available without having to understand what UMB restricts let alone figure out if/how to circumvent it.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49845 posts
6127 upvotes
Toronto
604girl wrote: I have a question my relative is using a unlocked virgin mobile samsung Ace 2x. She told me her calls keep dropping constantly she can barely hold any conversation with that phone.
Is there some settings I need to do on the phone after the unlock? I unlocked it by buying a code online.
Nope nothing that i know of, maybe try a different phone with that specific SIM or resetting the phone may help.

It may be.. three things.
1) Area (do you get good reception?)
2) Phone (Did the phone experience poor call experience on the other carrier?)
3) SIM (might be a faulty SIM but this is mostly not the case i think.)
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
chdude3 wrote: I would like to respectfully disagree. I think you are drawing an incomplete conclusion, based on a very narrow data set.

Had you said that "it's pretty obvious most SpeakOut customers RESPONDING IN THIS THREAD stick with them for the cheap UMB", I'd be willing to let you argue your claim. Of the six people that I know who are using SpeakOut wireless, only ONE of them is using the UMB, and that's me. And that sample size is so small that I'm not willing to make the claim that most people actually are not using SpeakOut primarily for the UMB.

Just because you stick the word "obvious" in there does not actually make it true.
While I should know better than to argue stats with those who've no 'obvious' grasp of the subject...

I made my assumption based on the vast majority of posts spanning over 230+ pages of this thread. A thread search for the term 'proxy' returns 250 results; likewise, 'vpn' returns 250 results. My guess is RFD is restricting search results to 250. There are 3500 posts, by who-knows-how-many users (hundred+?), almost all of them discussing how to bypass UMB port restriction.

If this was the only forum where this was occuring, you might have a fig leaf to hide behind. A quick google search turns up multiple threads on RFD, DSLReports, HowardForums, xdadevelopers and even SpeakOutWireless.ca discussing autproxy and vpn settings for SpeakOut (and Petro) UMB. Maybe the entire internet is a bad sample. The anecdote about you and your five hump friends is much more statistically sound. Mea culpa.

Rephrase: it's blatantly obvious most SpeakOut (and Petro) customers stick with them for the cheap UMB/data plan.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
um, seems that nowadays, it is much easier to do this kind research, just go to RFD or google ;-)
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
199 upvotes
htrab1 wrote:
Rephrase: it's blatantly obvious most SpeakOut (and Petro) customers stick with them for the cheap UMB/data plan.
I echo his comments. Just because you find alot of search results doesn't mean the majority of people are doing it. It's probably just a small group of nerds taking advantage of the system.

I personally use speakout as a backup prepaid phone. No UMB. I know of 10 others who use it has a cheap phone to give their kids.

SO again, no it is not obvious. Unless SO publishes numbers, you are making ***** up.

Just because you read it on the Internet doesn't make it true.