Speakout porting number in from another provider

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2019 4:52 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2019
44 posts
9 upvotes

Speakout porting number in from another provider

I recently opened a Speakout account and I am porting my number in from Bell. One of the things it made me fill out on the port-in form, was a pin number. I do not have a pin associated with my Bell account, so I just assumed it was the last four digits of my number. From what I understand all they need is just the account number and phone number (which I provided).

Today is Sunday, I put this request in 24 hours ago and it has still not been done yet. Will they let me know if there are any issues? Also, my Bell account balance expires tomorrow, will they still be able to do the port-in once it expires?

It says on their website;

"The process to transfer your number should take about 2 hours to complete during normal business hours. As such, it can take up to 72 hours. Once the transfer is complete, your old phone will stop working. Your existing SpeakOut number will no longer exist and your newly ported number will become active on your existing SIM card. You will receive a text message when the Port In is complete. Once your number has been successfully ported, you will need to add your newly ported number to your online account"

Am I right to say that their business hours are only Monday to Friday?

Thanks for your help!
3 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12392 posts
11213 upvotes
You need your account number, full name on your account and the phone number to port out your number.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Dec 4, 2017
587 posts
260 upvotes
For other readers (because OP already started port request): setting a PIN so that it's something tangible to give to a new provider is a good idea. There can be delays due to security precautions if there is no information known only to the subscriber to accompany the port request.

For the OP, it's unclear from the wording whether your assumption led to you actually giving the last four digits of the phone number as the PIN. If you gave Speakout a wrong PIN, that could lead to the port request being rejected. You might have to proactively call Speakout today or early tomorrow to see what the status is. It might be necessary to call Bell and set a proper PIN, or use some other data that Bell suggests would be acceptable to complete the port.

For the balance expiry issue, that indeed could be a problem. Carriers generally require that an account be "in good standing" in order to port out, and prepaid carriers are a bit unclear on what it means when a balance expires. For some, it just means that service is suspended, while others may consider that the account itself is suspended.

At what time tomorrow does your Bell balance expire? If it's not until nighttime, this will likely be resolved during the day Monday and the balance won't matter. But if a procedural glitch extends past expiry time, you might want to reduce your Bell plan to the minimum possible and top it up by exactly that amount.

For reference, here is a similar case on Public Mobile's forum wherein the talk about minimal top-up for porting.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/29730
[OP]
Mar 12, 2019
44 posts
9 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: For other readers (because OP already started port request): setting a PIN so that it's something tangible to give to a new provider is a good idea. There can be delays due to security precautions if there is no information known only to the subscriber to accompany the port request.

For the OP, it's unclear from the wording whether your assumption led to you actually giving the last four digits of the phone number as the PIN. If you gave Speakout a wrong PIN, that could lead to the port request being rejected. You might have to proactively call Speakout today or early tomorrow to see what the status is. It might be necessary to call Bell and set a proper PIN, or use some other data that Bell suggests would be acceptable to complete the port.

For the balance expiry issue, that indeed could be a problem. Carriers generally require that an account be "in good standing" in order to port out, and prepaid carriers are a bit unclear on what it means when a balance expires. For some, it just means that service is suspended, while others may consider that the account itself is suspended.

At what time tomorrow does your Bell balance expire? If it's not until nighttime, this will likely be resolved during the day Monday and the balance won't matter. But if a procedural glitch extends past expiry time, you might want to reduce your Bell plan to the minimum possible and top it up by exactly that amount.

For reference, here is a similar case on Public Mobile's forum wherein the talk about minimal top-up for porting.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/29730
I just called Bell and changed my pin so it match's the one on the port request. I know with Telus when setting up a prepaid, you setup a pin at the time of setting up the phone. Bell does not do that. I assume by pin they mean the one you have to use for customer service when one calls in.

As for the balance, it expires at midnight on the start of Tuesday. So I have all of Monday to get this sorted out, otherwise I will have to pay $15 for another month.