Computers & Electronics

Speculation: Will AMD survive the coming hurdles?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2019 1:47 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: All of these companies, including Apple, are hitting the wall in terms of the laws of physics. Mobile chips were seeing huge gains until recently; now we’re lucky if we see a 20% improvement per year. On the desktop side, the gains are even more marginal. AMD has had a big problem in their GPU division for some time now. Poor engineering decisions. Their chips run hot, don’t clock high enough, and they have poor efficiency. The AMD drivers have become too buggy. Plus AMD is far from feature parity with nVidia at this point.

Intel now has Raja Koduri working for them. The same guy that ruined AMD’s graphics division. I don’t see that ending well.

I personally think that Apple is going to take over completely. It’s a matter of time. Their iPad Pro is already more powerful than an Xbox One. Apple already has more powerful chips than that, also.
How did this guy ruin AMD graphics? The reason Intel grabbed him because he was good at running the graphics division.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
So question for you guys, I plan on building a new system and was going to go with one of AMD's latest cpus & x570 motherboards. I plan on buying my parts at the end of Nov for Cyber Monday.

Is there anything new from AMD or anything else new coming soon that maybe I should wait for? I have not heard anything so it sounds like now would be the best time to upgrade.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
sickcars wrote: So question for you guys, I plan on building a new system and was going to go with one of AMD's latest cpus & x570 motherboards. I plan on buying my parts at the end of Nov for Cyber Monday.

Is there anything new from AMD or anything else new coming soon that maybe I should wait for? I have not heard anything so it sounds like now would be the best time to upgrade.

Thanks
The only new CPU incoming is the flagship Ryzen 9 3950X which was delayed from September, if you were waiting for a 16 core mainstream chip that's the only one. At this point all the X570 motherboards should've come out including the ones that were supposed to coincide with the 3950X like Asrock's Aqua. GPU side only the Radeon 5500 is coming to desktop next month. If these don't interest you, then definitely plan your build and buy any parts you can get a discount for on those sales days. Most of the waiting for AMD will be what their big Navi chip will be.
- Jegan V
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Intel now has Jim Keller. That dude turns wafers into gold.

Unless he gets stonewalled by political infighting, Intel's chip designed by Keller will undoubtedly knock it out of the park.

AMD will do fine on the near term, they've got the PS5 and next Xbox already lined up.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: How did this guy ruin AMD graphics? The reason Intel grabbed him because he was good at running the graphics division.
Just have one look at the epic failure that was Vega. Very poor design/engineering decisions.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
sickcars wrote: So question for you guys, I plan on building a new system and was going to go with one of AMD's latest cpus & x570 motherboards. I plan on buying my parts at the end of Nov for Cyber Monday.

Thanks
3700x is best price/performance ratio ImHO. The 570 boards are ridiculously priced. Maybe wait for for the 470 series.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Yes some boards are very expensive but I was thinking of getting one of these since I really like the TUF Series & have had good luck with them i the past - https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16813119197 ... 6813119197

unless there is a good reason to go for something more expensive?

Thanks
mr_raider wrote: 3700x is best price/performance ratio ImHO. The 570 boards are ridiculously priced. Maybe wait for for the 470 series.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
I think AMD still faces an uphill battle as they cannot offer a systems integrator an entire package of components that are guaranteed for interoperability and widely supported "out of the box".

At least in the Intel realm, basically everything's the same. You can pretty much just swap one Intel-based motherboard out for another, and barely re-install or even change any drivers. So that really helps them in the enterprise/business realm where support and integration costs b far exceed that of the cost of the actual hardware itself.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1784 posts
774 upvotes
dude amd is pretty much win right now.
are we there yet?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
sickcars wrote: Yes some boards are very expensive but I was thinking of getting one of these since I really like the TUF Series & have had good luck with them i the past - https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16813119197 ... 6813119197

unless there is a good reason to go for something more expensive?

Thanks
Depends what you want to do with the motherboard. When it comes to the TUF X570, for a relatively basic motherboard it does all the fundamentals rather well like having good VRMs, Wi-Fi availability, and all other aspects are decent at a fair price which is rare for ASUS. For most people this is all they really care for the motherboard to do, the most a regular person might complain is perhaps not as many USB ports. If the LAN card is important, then the TUF's Realtek may be a slight bummer since Intel LAN is preferred for its reliability.

Now if you were interested in overclocking or tinkering, it lacks some useful quality of life features. I wish it had at least the post code, if you wonder why your motherboard doesn't boot post codes will spit a code and will narrow down the reason why your computer didn't turn on. Very necessary for the overclocker but even the casual user it can be of help. The LED lights on the TUF and other inexpensive boards are far too vague most of the time. No BIOS flashback, not necessary but a lovely feature for any Ryzen motherboard, the ability to flash the BIOS without needing to boot it, Gigabyte is able to add this to every X570 board so it can't be a cost thing and I actually needed this on my X570 board as the stock BIOS actually wouldn't boot for some reason, flashed the BIOS and its all good. Clear CMOS buttons are definitely fantastic for memory overclockers, the ability to reset the motherboard to default figures without touching the CMOS battery.

If its just a straight up Ryzen machine be it gaming or otherwise and the only setting you touch is the RAM's XMP profile, the TUF is more than good enough.
- Jegan V
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Basically it will be used for some gaming, everyday life, etc. I will not be overclocking it no need to for me. I'm more concerned about Reliability/performance/support. The intel network chip may be a concern but I have been using a realtek chip on my current motherboard for years without issues.

Thanks
JeganV wrote: Depends what you want to do with the motherboard. When it comes to the TUF X570, for a relatively basic motherboard it does all the fundamentals rather well like having good VRMs, Wi-Fi availability, and all other aspects are decent at a fair price which is rare for ASUS. For most people this is all they really care for the motherboard to do, the most a regular person might complain is perhaps not as many USB ports. If the LAN card is important, then the TUF's Realtek may be a slight bummer since Intel LAN is preferred for its reliability.

Now if you were interested in overclocking or tinkering, it lacks some useful quality of life features. I wish it had at least the post code, if you wonder why your motherboard doesn't boot post codes will spit a code and will narrow down the reason why your computer didn't turn on. Very necessary for the overclocker but even the casual user it can be of help. The LED lights on the TUF and other inexpensive boards are far too vague most of the time. No BIOS flashback, not necessary but a lovely feature for any Ryzen motherboard, the ability to flash the BIOS without needing to boot it, Gigabyte is able to add this to every X570 board so it can't be a cost thing and I actually needed this on my X570 board as the stock BIOS actually wouldn't boot for some reason, flashed the BIOS and its all good. Clear CMOS buttons are definitely fantastic for memory overclockers, the ability to reset the motherboard to default figures without touching the CMOS battery.

If its just a straight up Ryzen machine be it gaming or otherwise and the only setting you touch is the RAM's XMP profile, the TUF is more than good enough.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
sickcars wrote: Basically it will be used for some gaming, everyday life, etc. I will not be overclocking it no need to for me. I'm more concerned about Reliability/performance/support. The intel network chip may be a concern but I have been using a realtek chip on my current motherboard for years without issues.

Thanks
Then absolutely, the TUF is as much as you'll need. The excellent VRM of even this basic board means even the idea of a 3950X upgrade for the future is a option if games utilize more cores. Having ASUS's RMA center in Markham is a huge boon on the support front for any GTA resident or nearby, the ability to literally drive it to them versus hoping for no courier mishaps and delays. I'll note the same can be said also for Asrock(through link computer canada) and MSI.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
To directly reply to the OP, for the foreseeable future AMD is going to be just fine. They have a good CEO and really good CPUs right now. They have survived much worse than this.

I do kind of feel like desktop PCs are going to largely disappear and we are going to transition over to more mobile-esque devices, but that is going to take some time still and there will always be at least some kind of market for desktops which should keep AMD going. Game consoles also. And really AMD could engineer a good mobile chip if they wanted to. They did it before. They (stupidly) sold off their mobile division and intellectual property to Qualcomm some time ago.
Last edited by SickBeast on Oct 20th, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
I just built a system for someone last week. He wanted to go AMD.

His GPU is 5700 which is a FPS beast. CPU is R7 2700. It handled all his multimedia needs and 1080p gaming was sweet.

I was really surprised at how good the Adrenaline software was. I have never used it before.

I am wondering if anyone have tried their StoreMI software?.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
I don't care. If I build gaming PC I will first consider AMD. My desktop at home are all AMDs. Laptop is Intel. Intel mobile CPU seems to a bit more efficient.

Anyway we need more competition for innovation and drag the cost down or else we as a consumer hurts.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
badOne wrote: AMD is cheating this generation by putting out core that not all can turbo to what is promised. Intel doesn't do this type of shitty trickery. But there is no denying AMD has caught up with Intel in technology. AMD still cant overclock well but since they are priced lower and most buyers don't overclock anyways this is a moot point.
Intel does every kind of shitty trickery. I haven't seen more FUD from them in years. And they STILL haven't explained their chip shortage.

Bottom line, AMD is killing Intel for price vs performance in the desktop, HEDT and enterprise sectors this generation. The only thing Intel still rules is high-end gaming (and laptops), and frankly, I'd rather spend the price difference on a better video card.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
Has everyone forgotten about the Wintel monopoly cases?? How much more anti-competitive or shitty can you get??

Even now it is hard to find pre-built AMD Machines. Last time I purchased an AMD Ryzen Laptop, Dell would not show it on their products page and they hid the options with AMD CPUs. Only via a link posted here in RFD, was I able to find it.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
4418 posts
1724 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: To directly reply to the OP, for the foreseeable future AMD is going to be just fine. They have a good CEO and really good CPUs right now. They have survived much worse than this.

I do kind of feel like desktop PCs are going to largely disappear and we are going to transition over to more mobile-esque devices, but that is going to take some time still and there will always be at least some kind of market for desktops which should keep AMD going. Game consoles also. And really AMD could engineer a good mobile chip if they wanted to. They did it before. They (stupidly) sold off their mobile division and intellectual property to Qualcomm some time ago.
That was the old VLWI sold as Adreno

They just did the same thing with the new architecture RDNA to Samsung which will power Nintendo next generation.
Aug 30, 2019
7 posts
9 upvotes
AMD will survive. I'm retiring my intel 990x and x58 chipst soon. Its lasted 9 years and was way cheaper than the 1990's when I got a new pc every 2 - 3 years. And really, wwhen I think about it, I don't even really need to upgrade now a the current system is still pleanty powerful enough. I'm just getting that itch. Now I'm going AMD with a x570 board including all the bells and whistles I can afford. I plan to keep it for 10 years so its initial cost will be worth it and I should be able to make use of PCI 4 sometime during those years. I got overclocking out of my system a long time ago, so I don't care that most Ryzens don't overclock that well. Forget overclocking. what's the big deal? Just get a cpu that is powerful enough out of the box and have fun. I hope others go AMD now and give intel some serious competition.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
Ceryx wrote: That was the old VLWI sold as Adreno

They just did the same thing with the new architecture RDNA to Samsung which will power Nintendo next generation.
That has not been confirmed.