Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2910 posts
492 upvotes
North York

Speed Test

Hi - just upgraded to Rogers Ignite (500 Mbps)- while testing on Speedtest.Net and on Fast.com (as recommended by Rogers) getting two very different results. Checked both wired and wireless. Can someone explain which is the one to trust? Or other suggestions.

On wired - my cable is Cat - 5e.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1266 posts
594 upvotes
GTA
Speedtest is going to be from you to Rogers or a closeby datacenter. Good for troubleshooting your lines. Fast.com is Netflix, real world internet speed jumping between ISPs to Netflix, it shows how fast those companies are letting Netflix get to you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: Speedtest is going to be from you to Rogers or a closeby datacenter.
The closest location means squat.
"Great! My line works for the first 100ft!"

I always used to force the furthest server on the continent or pick a server close to what a frequently used destination was.
That actually gives real world information rather than "how fast can I theoretically go"
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1266 posts
594 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: The closest location means squat.
"Great! My line works for the first 100ft!"

I always used to force the furthest server on the continent or pick a server close to what a frequently used destination was.
That actually gives real world information rather than "how fast can I theoretically go"
You'd actually use speedtest to know what is the maximum your line does. So you know it's not a problem between you and the ISP.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: You'd actually use speedtest to know what is the maximum your line does. So you know it's not a problem between you and the ISP.
I'd agree with this, but very rarely do I ever need to know what my theoretical maximum is.
I sure hope I get full speed inside their network.

It's whats outside that counts.
Jun 19, 2011
86 posts
22 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
sheriffabc wrote: Hi - just upgraded to Rogers Ignite (500 Mbps)- while testing on Speedtest.Net and on Fast.com (as recommended by Rogers) getting two very different results. Checked both wired and wireless. Can someone explain which is the one to trust? Or other suggestions.

On wired - my cable is Cat - 5e.
Actually both are useful. Testing to the close server indicates the 'best' response to be expected. Tests to the farther server give the 'actual' response to/from the real world. They both help in a troubleshooting situation. One of the factors which is often overlooked is the DNS response, which, if large, indicates issues. DNS outages are fairly common....people who just consider the 'ping' times find it difficult to explain why their response is terrible. If you never get close to the 500 Mbs response from testing to the close servers, time to speak to the ISP.
Just my 2 cents..
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2528 posts
729 upvotes
I get crappy results with speedtest.net

Just did a test and got 480Mbps on speedtest.net

Fast.com gave got me 880Mbps...sometimes even higher then that.

I'm on Rogers gigabit.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15708 posts
2334 upvotes
Phat_cow wrote: I get crappy results with speedtest.net

Just did a test and got 480Mbps on speedtest.net

Fast.com gave got me 880Mbps...sometimes even higher then that.

I'm on Rogers gigabit.
You're fine. The max for Rogers gigabit is 940 Mbit/s or so.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1314 posts
297 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Not to hijack OP's thread, but... did anyone notice DSLReports servers in Toronto and Montreal have been offline for a while? It sucks due to most ISPs hosting their speed test servers at 151 Front St in Toronto
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3168 posts
171 upvotes
East York
I'm upgrading to Rogers Ignite TV and internet. Technician is coming on Monday.

I'm getting the 500u bundle for internet.

when I test my internet now it says I get over 250 mbps down but my internet plan via rogers is suppose to be only 150mbps...

I wonder what it will be with the upgrade?

:D

How is the installation process for those that have gone through it?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3168 posts
171 upvotes
East York
Drew87 wrote: I'm upgrading to Rogers Ignite TV and internet. Technician is coming on Monday.

when I test my internet now it says I get over 250 mbps down but my internet plan via rogers is suppose to be only 150mbps...

up....
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2528 posts
729 upvotes
Drew87 wrote: I'm upgrading to Rogers Ignite TV and internet. Technician is coming on Monday.

They over provision all their internet speeds except their gigabit internet.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2590 posts
1333 upvotes
Winnipeg
Trying using Speedtest to a neutral site like Chicago-Server Central. That's more real world test IMHO.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3168 posts
171 upvotes
East York
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Trying using Speedtest to a neutral site like Chicago-Server Central. That's more real world test IMHO.
I connected to Chicago - Frontier

Got 550ish down on my new ignite internet and 15ish up
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3526 posts
20014 upvotes
I guess my Rogers lines are working :) I don't understand why they still cap this crap at 30Mbps up.. highly ********.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 13.21.10.png
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 13.25.00.png
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2528 posts
729 upvotes
markopas wrote: I guess my Rogers lines are working :) I don't understand why they still cap this crap at 30Mbps up.. highly ********.
Nice! Are you using a standalone router or just using the Rogers one?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2034 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah... don't trust fast.com too much.
My Rogers Ignite Home Internet.
fast com 01.PNG
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3526 posts
20014 upvotes
Phat_cow wrote: Nice! Are you using a standalone router or just using the Rogers one?
I have the copper going up to my office to the Rogers Gigabit Modem (with the gateway mode turned off so it's strictly modem only) which I then use a Cat6a cable plugged in to a D-Link DIR-895L Router. I then have the local devices hardwired to and have a another cat6a go back into the ethernet port in the wall which feeds into my garage and that wire then feeds into a 1Gb unmanaged network hub and then more cat6a feed into each of the ports into the house so incase anyone wants to plug in they can go ahead and do so. Then that port feeds up to my computer in my living room to my PC.
xxgg wrote: Yeah... don't trust fast.com too much.
My Rogers Ignite Home Internet.

fast com 01.PNG
Wow, I didn't realize such a service existed anywhere in the world for residential use - you gotta hook me up.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3168 posts
171 upvotes
East York
Drew87 wrote: I connected to Chicago - Frontier

Got 550ish down on my new ignite internet and 15ish up
I used fast.com and got 610 mbps... I doubt that...... I have the 500 down ignite package...

Guys, serious question here... So today twice my tvs thoroughout the house lost connection...... The technician when he was here said that the signal was strong on every room but the kitchen and he installed a wifi extender there.... Anything I should do? Is this a "fixable" problem?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3526 posts
20014 upvotes
Drew87 wrote: I used fast.com and got 610 mbps... I doubt that...... I have the 500 down ignite package...

Guys, serious question here... So today twice my tvs thoroughout the house lost connection...... The technician when he was here said that the signal was strong on every room but the kitchen and he installed a wifi extender there.... Anything I should do? Is this a "fixable" problem?
Signal interference from phones and microwaves is the first thing that comes to mind.

My parents switched to Ignite, Rogers has been pushing this hard but I wasn't down for the price increase and was happy with original service - but the Bell Fibe 1.5 seems very tempting.