Speeding ticket ....almsot 3 years ago

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2021 5:47 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes

Speeding ticket ....almsot 3 years ago

Hello friends .I am buying a new car next month and I called my insurance broker to see how much it will cost for me to get the insurance on that car .He asked me do I have a speeding ticket in the last 3 years and unfortunately on July 12th 2018 I had and on July 19th 2018 I had paid a speeding ticket of driving at 95 km in a 80 km zone . This is my one and only ticket I ever had in my life

What are my options here .I know my insurance will increase when they do a search for my name and will find out about the ticket .I did tell my broker about it .Waiting for his reply .

Cant even delay getting a new car as my old one broke down and right now I am borrowing the car from my dad .He needs it back
Thanks
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
When he pulls your abstract for the new policy he'll see the ticket. Not much you can do about it.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3234 posts
3255 upvotes
GTA
Call them just before your policy renews next year and make sure that they have removed this ticket from your record. I'm not sure if tickets are automatically removed after 3 years or only when they pull your abstract. I don't think one speeding ticket will make a big difference and it's only one year in your case.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes
tew wrote: Call them just before your policy renews next year and make sure that they have removed this ticket from your record. I'm not sure if tickets are automatically removed after 3 years or only when they pull your abstract. I don't think one speeding ticket will make a big difference and it's only one year in your case.
thanks and I forgot to ask is a person bind in a contract with the insurance company for minimum of 1 year ? cant I just get it relook at in July or I have to just get it done once 1 year is completed.
From what I am reading in my case it shouldn't go up more than 10%
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: When he pulls your abstract for the new policy he'll see the ticket. Not much you can do about it.
I know I cant hide it but want to know how much it will affect my insurance .I was paying 170 up till now .Would it go to 200 ,300 ? If they did increase it over that should I get quote from someone else as well or its going to be same elsewhere as well
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3234 posts
3255 upvotes
GTA
jassdash wrote: thanks and I forgot to ask is a person bind in a contract with the insurance company for minimum of 1 year ? cant I just get it relook at in July or I have to just get it done once 1 year is completed.
From what I am reading in my case it shouldn't go up more than 10%
I don't think insurance companies do 6 month policies anymore. I know they did years ago for motorcycles. I think you are stuck for the year, but I think it goes both ways so if you get another ticket I think your rates won't go up until renewal.
Feb 17, 2015
871 posts
954 upvotes
Canada
Why not get an online quote yourself so you can see where you at? You might get around 170 even with the speeding ticket.
jassdash wrote: I know I cant hide it but want to know how much it will affect my insurance .I was paying 170 up till now .Would it go to 200 ,300 ? If they did increase it over that should I get quote from someone else as well or its going to be same elsewhere as well
Sep 25, 2018
718 posts
1338 upvotes
If you want month to month policy, look for Chieftain
[OP]
Jan 26, 2021
27 posts
5 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: If you want month to month policy, look for Chieftain
I got quote from my broker its 30$ more per month for 1 year . Are they more expansive
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
jassdash wrote: I know I cant hide it but want to know how much it will affect my insurance .I was paying 170 up till now .Would it go to 200 ,300 ? If they did increase it over that should I get quote from someone else as well or its going to be same elsewhere as well
Ask your broker.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3779 posts
2700 upvotes
Toronto
You will pay one year of insurance with a ticket on your record and at a renewal it will be gone.... or you find a company that you can cancel for cheap and pay the ticket rate until its been 3 years later this year and find a new company that can quote a policy ticket free and cancel your policy with the ticket on it. Pretty sure the cancellation fee might offset any savings though.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2744 posts
849 upvotes
Vaughan
OP, you are really overthinking things. You were speeding, you were caught, you knew you were guilty so you did the right thing and just paid the ticket.

Insurance companies need some kind of way to tell if you are a riskier driver and therefore use your record of tickets and accidents. For tickets normally they look at the past 3 years and past 6 years for accidents.

In your case, you have a speeding ticket and therefore they will see you as a slightly riskier driver and charge a higher premium. There is no way around this as it's on your driver abstract which any broker or insurance will automatically check.

Best way forward is to work with an insurance broker to find the best rates available amongst the many insurance companies out there. Every company has a slightly different formula for determining risk and rates. So your broker can work to find you the best rates from a company that sees 1 ticket as not that risky.

Then next year, if you don't have any new tickets, your rates should drop as the ticket from 2018 won't be used against you. It's only one more year of increased rates, so it's not that bad.
May 31, 2008
136 posts
180 upvotes
I used insurance brokers years ago but find it easier to just do a search online for the best rates and call up the insurance company myself. There are websites where you can check the prices of 10 different companies at a time. When I changed cars last year I called up my current insurance company and had them switch it over to the new car for the rest of my term. They never asked anything about my driving record.

I have also only had one speeding ticket.. doing 73kph in a 50 and my rates never increased a penny. They have actually come down a little over the last few years.