Automotive

Speeding ticket from camera in quebec city, need urgent help?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2020 10:44 am
[OP]
Nov 5, 2019
5 posts
3 upvotes

Speeding ticket from camera in quebec city, need urgent help?

I received a speeding ticket in mail fine 350$ + 146$ cost + 40$ = 536$.
During my long weekend visit to Quebec city as soon as I got off the highway I was caught off guard by a speed camera at 4:30 am in the morning going 91km/hr on 50km zone. It was only when the camera flashed on a green light i noticed that my speed was 90 and posted was 50km. It was a commercial zone so I thought the speed limit was 70km. Is there anything I can do to reduce the ticket?
34 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12887 posts
9698 upvotes
Edmonton
MadhurC55291 wrote: I received a speeding ticket in mail fine 350$ + 146$ cost + 40$ = 536$.
During my long weekend visit to Quebec city as soon as I got off the highway I was caught off guard by a speed camera at 4:30 am in the morning going 91km/hr on 50km zone. It was only when the camera flashed on a green light i noticed that my speed was 90 and posted was 50km. It was a commercial zone so I thought the speed limit was 70km. Is there anything I can do to reduce the ticket?
Don't know what it's like in QC, but in Alberta you used to be able to negotiate a deal, like half price. Apparently that's no longer, though. But you'd probably have to go back in person to do so.

Or you could just be grateful it wasn't officer issues, with insurance impacts.

C
Sep 15, 2014
131 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
red light ticket is fine
how did you get speeding ticket without cop
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12887 posts
9698 upvotes
Edmonton
testrav wrote: red light ticket is fine
how did you get speeding ticket without cop
In some places (like Alberta) the cameras do both...

C
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1951 posts
1626 upvotes
Montréal
Not much you can do except pay it, at least you don't lose points. You are lucky you did not get stopped by a real cop, that is an excessive speeding offense with 7 day license suspension on first offense. From the SAAQ

EXCESSIVE SPEEDING MEANS...
…driving at a speed that exceeds the speed limit by:

40 km/h or more in a zone where the speed limit is 60 km/h or less
50 km/h or more in a zone where the speed limit is over 60 km/h and up to 90 km/h
60 km/h or more in a zone where the speed limit is 100 km/h or over

1ST OFFENCE
Immediately
Suspension of your driver's licence for 7 days

If you are found guilty
Number of demerit points doubles
Amount of the fine doubles
Offence entered on your driving record for 10 years
Cost of your driver's licence increases, based on the cumulative number of demerit points
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2190 posts
703 upvotes
Montreal
You don't really have other options than paying the fine.
There used to be loopholes in the laws that opened speed camera tickets to be contested, but those were changed.

I guess you weren't paying attention because all traffic cameras in Québec are preceded by big road signs saying you are approaching a camera.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22174 posts
2831 upvotes
AMD wrote: You don't really have other options than paying the fine.
There used to be loopholes in the laws that opened speed camera tickets to be contested, but those were changed.

I guess you weren't paying attention because all traffic cameras in Québec are preceded by big road signs saying you are approaching a camera.
This.

How did you miss the sign?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5963 posts
5539 upvotes
Pay it or go back to Quebec City to fight it.... Not much you can do
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8820 posts
2580 upvotes
My god you people get trolled by this person startings ids over and over to start useless threads!

SPEED CAMERAS DO NOT ISSUE TICKETS!

"As announced February 24 by Quebec Transport Minister Julie Boulet, photo radar and red-light cameras will be installed at 15 locations in the Montreal, Montérégie and Chaudière-Appalaches regions of Quebec as part of a pilot project starting this May 19.

The sites were chosen jointly by the Ministère des Transports and the Ministère de la Sécurité publique, based on the high incidence and seriousness of accidents and how hard it is to maintain police control there.

From May 19 to August 18, 2009, drivers who commit infractions will receive only a warning letter;"

https://www.caaquebec.com/en/on-the-roa ... t-cameras/

He or she is laughing at the same few who respond to this nonsense over and over again. Looks a LOT like the same person starting a nonsense thread in heath and wellness yesterday. Also the same person who signed up another id to ask about the motorcycle course the day before it snowed yesterday. Brand new id starting useless thread = same person over and over. I am amazed you don't see it right away, before even looking that it is a new id.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6251 posts
3137 upvotes
Toronto
zoro69 wrote: My god you people get trolled by this person startings ids over and over to start useless threads!

SPEED CAMERAS DO NOT ISSUE TICKETS!

"As announced February 24 by Quebec Transport Minister Julie Boulet, photo radar and red-light cameras will be installed at 15 locations in the Montreal, Montérégie and Chaudière-Appalaches regions of Quebec as part of a pilot project starting this May 19.

The sites were chosen jointly by the Ministère des Transports and the Ministère de la Sécurité publique, based on the high incidence and seriousness of accidents and how hard it is to maintain police control there.

From May 19 to August 18, 2009, drivers who commit infractions will receive only a warning letter;"

https://www.caaquebec.com/en/on-the-roa ... t-cameras/

He or she is laughing at the same few who respond to this nonsense over and over again. Looks a LOT like the same person starting a nonsense thread in heath and wellness yesterday. Also the same person who signed up another id to ask about the motorcycle course the day before it snowed yesterday. Brand new id starting useless thread = same person over and over. I am amazed you don't see it right away, before even looking that it is a new id.
That's from 2009... maybe it's changed since then?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8820 posts
2580 upvotes
Manatus wrote: That's from 2009... maybe it's changed since then?
Oh you are right. I still maintian op is the same troll however

I did look at the link too quickly and saw 9 at the end of the year
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12887 posts
9698 upvotes
Edmonton
zoro69 wrote: Oh you are right. I still maintian op is the same troll however

I did look at the link too quickly and saw 9 at the end of the year
Rants about other users being trolled or otherwise being ignorant of facts are much more effective when you check your own facts first...

C
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4968 posts
4138 upvotes
Oakville, ON
MadhurC55291 wrote: after 3 weeks
So, you did nothing with the ticket for 3 weeks and now it’s urgent for us to help you? A failure to act for 3 weeks on your part doesn’t make this urgent....
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
386 upvotes
Montreal
CanadianLurker wrote: So, you did nothing with the ticket for 3 weeks and now it’s urgent for us to help you? A failure to act for 3 weeks on your part doesn’t make this urgent....
It just takes that long for the government to send the ticket. Some human has to validate before sending.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4968 posts
4138 upvotes
Oakville, ON
CloudReader wrote: It just takes that long for the government to send the ticket. Some human has to validate before sending.
Fair enough, not the best choice of words... I should have said that OP knew the ticket was coming for over 3 weeks since he admitted he saw the flash when it happened and admitted he knew he was speeding when the flash prompted a look at his speedo vs the signage.

So OP does nothing for 3 weeks then when the ticket finally shows up all of a sudden it’s urgent to get advice.
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
Get off the roads and take a bike, going 90 on a road you don't know what the limit was is just stupid.