Wheels and Tires

Speeding ticket for going 5 km/hr over 50 -- best path forward?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2021 10:43 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 12, 2019
36 posts
19 upvotes

Speeding ticket for going 5 km/hr over 50 -- best path forward?

Hi everyone,

Just got a ticket in Oshawa.

Cop said I was doing 85 km/h in a 50 down a hill. I honestly don't recall going that fast -- if I was, I think I may have sped up because I thought a merging lane was ahead so I wanted to switch over. There were no cops nearby at all.

Anyways, I eventually see a cop ahead of me waiting at a stop sign. I stop traffic to let him go ahead since he was waiting. Then his sirens go on and pulls me over.

Comes to me and says I did 85 km/h in a 50. He shows me his little gun thing with a 85 number on it. I ask him where and he explains. He then tells me he's only going to give me a ticket of doing 55 km/h in a 50 km/h zone. He then tells me if I go take it to trial/court, they'll likely throw out the case since trials are backlogged due to covid.

This is my second ticket this year (cumulatively only 2). What should I do? I really don't remember speeding honestly. I see that there's 3 options. 1. Plea guilty, 2. Early resolution, meet with prosecutor, or 3, Trial option.

I just dont want my insurance rate to go high.

Appreciate the feedback.
Last edited by Sweetboy on May 25th, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17284 posts
15080 upvotes
GTA, ON
Sounds like he's filling his quota and is basically telling you that he won't show up if you challenge it. When the cop literally tells you that if you challenge it and plead not guilty, and they'd likely throw out the ticket because of the COVID19 backlog, he's basically suggesting you to plead not guilty.

Please watch you speed in the future. If you were truly going 85 in a 50, 35kph over... you're lucky the cop is even being kind to you.

The only time I got a ticket, the speed trap cop said to me that he's already reduced it and is giving me a break, and if I challenge it, the prosecution will bump it back to the full, and I'd lose. That's code for: I'll show up.
Last edited by chimaican on May 25th, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 12, 2019
36 posts
19 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Sounds like he's filling his quota and is basically telling you that he won't show up if you challenge it. When the cop literally tells you that if you challenge it and plead not guilty, and they'd likely throw out the ticket because of the COVID19 backlog, he's basically suggesting you to plead not guilty.

The only time I got a ticket, the speed trap cop said to me that he's already reduced it and is giving me a break, and if I challenge it, the prosecution will bump it back to the full, and I'd lose. That's code for: I'll show up.
So should I do option 2 - "early resolution, meet with prosecutor - I request a meeting with a prosecutor to discuss the possible resolution of the charge. I understand that if I fail to attend the scheduled meeting, I will be deemed not to dispute the charge and may be convicted in my absence"

Or

option 3 - "Trial Option - DO NOT MAIL - I intend to appear in court to plead not guilty and to have an English language trial"

Thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17284 posts
15080 upvotes
GTA, ON
Sweetboy wrote: So should I do option 2 - "early resolution, meet with prosecutor "I request a meeting with a prosecutor to discuss the possible resolution of the charge. I understand that if I fail to attend the scheduled meeting, I will be deemed not to dispute the charge and may be convicted in my absence"

Or

option 3 - "Trial Option - DO NOT MAIL - I intend to appear in court to plead not guilty and to have an English language trial"

Thanks
Early resolution means you're pleading guilty. The prosecution won't likely do anything as the cop already reduced your ticket. A conviction is still a conviction regardless if it was lowered.
I'm not the person to get advice from though since I rarely speed, and the last ticket I got was over 10yrs ago.

There is an entire thread in the sticky.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ask-me-anything-about-fighting-your-traffic-ticket-speeding-parking-etc-945928/
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19694 posts
23084 upvotes
GTA
No dashcam? If they do schedule a court date, the ticket will likely be for 35kph over.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
LOL "sweetboy". Did you not watch American History X? :D
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6783 posts
4352 upvotes
Toronto
Listen to the police. And your insurance won't go up while waiting for a trial.
Last edited by peteryorkuca on May 25th, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17284 posts
15080 upvotes
GTA, ON
Sweetboy wrote: Comes to me and says I did 85 km/h in a 50. He shows me his little gun thing with a 85 number on it. I ask him where and he explains. He then tells me he's only going to give me a ticket of doing 55 km/h in a 50 km/h zone. He then tells me if I go take it to trial/court, they'll likely throw out the case since trials are backlogged due to covid.

This is my second ticket this year (cumulatively only 2). What should I do? I really don't remember speeding honestly. I see that there's 3 options. 1. Plea guilty, 2. Early resolution, meet with prosecutor, or 3, Trial option.

I just dont want my insurance rate to go high.
I have to reiterate this because you sound young and sound like a newbie driver.

SLOW DOWN! Keep an eye on the road and your speedometer. How do you go 35kph over and not realize you're not speeding? Were you not passing everyone else?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 12, 2019
36 posts
19 upvotes
chimaican wrote: I have to reiterate this because you sound young and sound like a newbie driver.

SLOW DOWN! Keep an eye on the road and your speedometer. How do you go 35kph over and not realize you're not speeding? Were you not passing everyone else?
I know. I was going downhill I remember, and I think I saw a merging lane sign ahead.

Everyone around me was going relatively the same speed to be honest.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17284 posts
15080 upvotes
GTA, ON
Sweetboy wrote: I know. I was going downhill I remember, and I think I was a merging lane sign ahead.

Everyone around me was going relatively the same speed to be honest.
Downhill isn't really a good reason. You were 35kph over the limit when clocked, so even if we were to factor in downhill momentum speeding you up as you go down, you likely started at the crest of the hill already over the speed limit, I would imagine at least 20 over, unless this is one really steep long hill. I'm just saying, if this were to go to trial, the judge would likely not believe that reason for that much over.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4336 posts
10197 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
3, Trial option...go to court tell the judge that the officer said your were going 85km/hr in 50 and only gave you a ticket for 55 km/hr and that you fell cheated and find it unfair
58
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 12, 2019
36 posts
19 upvotes
2Riskit wrote: 3, Trial option...go to court tell the judge that the officer said your were going 85km/hr in 50 and only gave you a ticket for 55 km/hr and that you fell cheated and find it unfair
Guessing that's sarcasm?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
chimaican wrote: Early resolution means you're pleading guilty. The prosecution won't likely do anything as the cop already reduced your ticket. A conviction is still a conviction regardless if it was lowered.
I'm not the person to get advice from though since I rarely speed, and the last ticket I got was over 10yrs ago.

There is an entire thread in the sticky.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ask-me-anything-about-fighting-your-traffic-ticket-speeding-parking-etc-945928/
Early resolution doesn’t mean you’re pleading guilty. It just means scheduling a meeting with the prosecutor to work out a deal, give your side of the story, whatever.

In some jurisdictions, they don’t offer the ERM as an option, but offer a “plead guilty with explanation” option. Choosing that one is a bad idea in general, and is the same as pleading guilty (just like it says).

C
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
Trolling trolling trolling on the forums...

Anyhow, the ONLY reasons a cop would drop a ticket down that much is.

1. They are UNSURE it was your car in a line of traffic, but they have a "suggested" minimum number of tickets they have to write and they could catch you.

2. They are quitting in a couple of weeks after having a midlife crisis of some sort so who cares.

3. They were just at a call to break up a party with 50 people all smoking up and they got a contact high. So they were feeling "happy".

4 Or they saw this video and realized holy crap I NEVER do any of the things required to the radar system to make my tickets legal. So he gave up in advance?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
Only OP's 2nd speeding ticket this year lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
25154 posts
2330 upvotes
Markham, ON
Sweetboy wrote: I know. I was going downhill I remember, and I think I saw a merging lane sign ahead.

Everyone around me was going relatively the same speed to be honest.
FYI...most downhills are speed traps (i.e. bridge underpass)
Sr. Member
Sep 25, 2018
949 posts
1891 upvotes
Best path forward will be: obey the law and don't give the police a reason to stop you.

You are making 80k a year fresh out of university last year, living at home with minimal expense. Worst case scenario your insurance goes up a few hundred dollars a year for a few years. You can still afford your lifestyle. So just take it as a lesson and move on.

Also, not sure if you got your sporty coupe, but the extra horse power in a sporty car and the fact it being a coupe won't help you in keeping the speed down or keeping a low profile from the police.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8605 posts
5525 upvotes
Mississauga
What day of the month is it? Oh yeah...
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 23, 2008
2083 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry, OP, but this thread is so annoying... like, the cop reduced the ticket to 5 over and then basically said "Request a trial, nothing will happen to you because of COVID backlogs lol" and then you come on here to ask what you should do? Then you ask if you should request an early resolution meeting, which is clearly not a trial? Come on!

Just request the trial, then relax and keep your fingers crossed that the ticket will be thrown out. If you do make it to trial, keep your fingers crossed that the cop doesn't show up and the charges get withdrawn. And if that doesn't happen, plead guilty in exchange for a lower fine and be happy that this conviction will probably go on your record after you've renewed your insurance.

But whatever you do, don't hop on the internet to ask strangers questions when the cop who already cut you a 30km break also told you exactly what to do to increase your chances of beating the ticket, and the exact steps you need to take are printed right on said ticket.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1060 posts
836 upvotes
option #3, proceed with early resolution to see if they're willing to work out a deal, if not attend court to have it thrown out.

Top