Computers & Electronics

Speedtest - High Latency on Upload only

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2023 1:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6597 posts
1202 upvotes

Speedtest - High Latency on Upload only

Hi I am getting fairly high latency on my upload, upwards of 150ms
download seems okay at 15ms or less.
other than that I am getting advertised speed and internet seems fairly stable
should it be a concern and have a tech look into it?
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6597 posts
1202 upvotes
on Bell DSL service, just checking on speedtest couple days same results
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
19306 posts
6586 upvotes
Toronto
Is the current latency much higher than previous tests?

I'm not on DSL so I can't say if 150 is normal.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6597 posts
1202 upvotes
ya it's much higher than what I have had before
I will call support to see what they can do
will try the bufferbloat as you suggested later as well, thanks.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
11574 posts
3969 upvotes
Winnipeg
what is your isp package? what device are using to test your upload?
how many connected clients and how do they connect?
what is your current router controlling all of your connections?

when you ask a techie question best to include as much details as possible.


so your on dsl? that means 50mbps download maybe 5 max upload. How many clients includes Iot etc?

In todays world? yeah you need some series traffic shaping on slow rates with the amount of connected clients these days.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7210 posts
4875 upvotes
SW ON
Reboot your router. Bufferbloat is usually caused by routers unless something is seriously wrong with the ISP network, which I doubt.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4936 posts
2563 upvotes
Parry Sound
Probably bufferbloat. You could use a bandwidth limiter on your router and set it to what your're paying for (or slightly less). That should solve it.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6597 posts
1202 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Probably bufferbloat. You could use a bandwidth limiter on your router and set it to what your're paying for (or slightly less). That should solve it.
ya that was it,
set it up in QOS on the router and now back to normal,
thank you all.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1382 posts
259 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Probably bufferbloat. You could use a bandwidth limiter on your router and set it to what your're paying for (or slightly less). That should solve it.
I have a 500/30 download/upload cable service from Teksavvy and got the results below. What should I set for the bandwidth limiter and which section in the router settings do I find this? I'm using an Asus Ax88u router.
Capture.JPG
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6597 posts
1202 upvotes
enigma54 wrote: I have a 500/30 download/upload cable service from Teksavvy and got the results below. What should I set for the bandwidth limiter and which section in the router settings do I find this? I'm using an Asus Ax88u router.

Capture.JPG
You will need a router with QOS,
basically in there you can set the download and upload speed to what you subscribed or lower,
depends on the firmware, sometimes they call it downlink/uplink or inbound/outbound bandwidth.
I am surprised you are not getting full 500 on download, were you testing it on wireless?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1382 posts
259 upvotes
sf1 wrote: You will need a router with QOS setting,
basically you set the download and upload speed to what you subscribed or lower,
depends on the firmware, sometimes they call it downlink/uplink or inbound/outbound bandwidth.

in your case I guess you will have to adjust your download since the latency is showing only on download test,
and if you still get high latency then you can try back it down -1 at a time until you get good latency.
Thanks I found the setting. Is it the "Bandwidth Limiter" that I want or the "Adaptive QoS" or "Traditional QoS"? In the "Bandwidth Limiter", it appears that I have to apply the download/upload limits to specific devices rather than as a universal setting for all devices.
Capture1.JPG
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6597 posts
1202 upvotes
enigma54 wrote: Thanks I found the setting. Is it the "Bandwidth Limiter" that I want or the "Adaptive QoS" or "Traditional QoS"? In the "Bandwidth Limiter", it appears that I have to apply the download/upload limits to specific devices rather than as a universal setting for all devices.

Capture1.JPG
I googled up your model and found this:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/qos-or-not.80437/

try adaptive, manual
shouldn't need to set it individually for each device
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4936 posts
2563 upvotes
Parry Sound
enigma54 wrote: Thanks I found the setting. Is it the "Bandwidth Limiter" that I want or the "Adaptive QoS" or "Traditional QoS"? In the "Bandwidth Limiter", it appears that I have to apply the download/upload limits to specific devices rather than as a universal setting for all devices.

Capture1.JPG
Yes, you use the bandwidth limiter.

If you're paying for 500/20 then set it to 500/20

Or you can set it to 480/17 or something like that.

For the target, use your router address (x.x.x.1) or network address (x.x.x.0). It's been a while since I had an Asus router so I'm not sure which one it accepts but either should work.

Adaptive will have service based QoS whereas a bandwidth limiter will treat all traffic as the same.

Adaptive may work better if you're a gamer or have a VoIP service that has latency issues.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1382 posts
259 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Yes, you use the bandwidth limiter.

If you're paying for 500/20 then set it to 500/20

Or you can set it to 480/17 or something like that.

For the target, use your router address (x.x.x.1) or network address (x.x.x.0). It's been a while since I had an Asus router so I'm not sure which one it accepts but either should work.

Adaptive will have service based QoS whereas a bandwidth limiter will treat all traffic as the same.

Adaptive may work better if you're a gamer or have a VoIP service that has latency issues.
If I use my router address as the target, won't my speeds for transferring files from my PC to my NAS or another device be limited to 500 Mbps? My router and switches are 1 Gbps, so I'd be getting half the speeds for these internal transfers?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4936 posts
2563 upvotes
Parry Sound
enigma54 wrote: If I use my router address as the target, won't my speeds for transferring files from my PC to my NAS or another device be limited to 500 Mbps? My router and switches are 1 Gbps, so I'd be getting half the speeds for these internal transfers?
It only affects LAN to WAN traffic.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
11574 posts
3969 upvotes
Winnipeg
enigma54 wrote: Thanks I found the setting. Is it the "Bandwidth Limiter" that I want or the "Adaptive QoS" or "Traditional QoS"? In the "Bandwidth Limiter", it appears that I have to apply the download/upload limits to specific devices rather than as a universal setting for all devices.

Capture1.JPG
first you test your speed(3-5 times and use the average) what it actually is with a single device connected to the net. Then use adaptive qos. chose cake_sqm(I think merlin offers options like that). try 10% lower of your speedtest for each rate and then test bufferbloat. Test/Adjust each lower% till you get the highest rating you can.

Top