[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3898 posts
3765 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Spent LONG time at Groceries check out

Just venting:

Yesterday afternoon I went to my local Freschco for my weekly grocery shopping, it is busy as usual for Sat afternoon.
Load up my cart, went line up as usual. When it is turn for the lady in front of me, it turn really bad.

When cashier scan an item, she say: I want to price match this item (about 1/4 of her item need price match), then she pull out stack of flyers to find the item. One after another.
What make it really bad is she start flipping those stack of fryers trying to find it. It is not ready to show.

After a very long time to price match, and cashier told her the amount, she start digging her big bag for her wallet. Taking out all kinds of stuff try to find her wallet. Finally found it, she putting stuff back before she start counting cash to pay. Then she said Wait, and start digging again, take out all the crap, again, try to find her coin bag, and counting coins.

Some people may ask, why I don't move to another line?

I already have half my stuff on the belt when she price match like 4-5 items.
Plus, there are people behind me, and each other line have like 5-6 people lining up as well.

I hope people be more considering , if you want price match, get the flyers for the item ready. If you pay cash, get your wallet/coin bag ready. Not trying to dig them out in BIG bag last second.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
31 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14735 posts
10887 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
oh well, what can you do.....can't police slowness people. #FirstWorldProblems

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
Price match giveth, Price match taketh away.

Not that it'd help since you were directly behind, but I've always wondered why there aren't common feeder lines. This way one person holding up a single checkout won't hold up everyone behind it.
There'd also be no more "gambling" to see if that person with 15 items is going to be slow compared to that person with a full cart but looks like they bust ass.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3898 posts
3765 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: Price match giveth, Price match taketh away.

Not that it'd help since you were directly behind, but I've always wondered why there aren't common feeder lines. This way one person holding up a single checkout won't hold up everyone behind it.
There'd also be no more "gambling" to see if that person with 15 items is going to be slow compared to that person with a full cart but looks like they bust ass.
Exactly what I think, like Walmart self service check out. Just 1 line. It would be much better.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13849 posts
17996 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: Not that it'd help since you were directly behind, but I've always wondered why there aren't common feeder lines. This way one person holding up a single checkout won't hold up everyone behind it.
THIS. The bank has it. Airport security has it. The pharmacy has it. The emergency room has it. The roller coaster has it. Passport control has it. The post office has it. It works. Why don't the grocery store, department store, and Canadian Tire get on board??
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
You should take out ur phone and do something with it? Check hot deals threads maybe?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6388 posts
5443 upvotes
You were at freshco, these discount grocery stores attract these types of shoppers
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6388 posts
5443 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: THIS. The bank has it. Airport security has it. The pharmacy has it. The emergency room has it. The roller coaster has it. Passport control has it. The post office has it. It works. Why don't the grocery store, department store, and Canadian Tire get on board??
Because there'll be one long massive line with buggies .

Airport security/immigration, amusement Parks don't have lines of people with buggies. Airports make you give up the buggies and big luggage before you get in line for immigration or security
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1396 posts
636 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: THIS. The bank has it. Airport security has it. The pharmacy has it. The emergency room has it. The roller coaster has it. Passport control has it. The post office has it. It works. Why don't the grocery store, department store, and Canadian Tire get on board??
Places are starting to move towards single line checkout. The Canadian Tire near me recently switched over. The bigger Walmarts also have that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35194 posts
8655 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Kiraly wrote: Why don't the grocery store, department store, and Canadian Tire get on board??
Not sure about BC, but they have single lines at Canadian Tire stores here.
Jul 4, 2006
79 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
Winners/Marshalls/Homesense has it ....with buggies.
StatsGuy wrote: Because there'll be one long massive line with buggies .

Airport security/immigration, amusement Parks don't have lines of people with buggies. Airports make you give up the buggies and big luggage before you get in line for immigration or security
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6388 posts
5443 upvotes
devonw wrote: Winners/Marshalls/Homesense has it ....with buggies.
Most people at those stores don't have buggies and fewer items than grocery store

But funny enough, from the admittedly few times I've been to winners/home sense, the lines were terrible in wait time

Also, the setup has way too little counter space for grocery store
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25155 posts
21616 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: I've always wondered why there aren't common feeder lines. This way one person holding up a single checkout won't hold up everyone behind it.
Or if a single feeder line isn't practical then have a special checkout(s) for people who want to do more than say 3 PMs. This is no different than express checkouts that limit to 8 or 12 items.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5942 posts
5124 upvotes
I imagine it would take a lot of money and effort to reconfigure the design of the store to accommodate one long line of big shopping carts, money that would inevitably be passed on to the customer. Even Costco who's super-efficient at everything doesn't have that.

I do like Walmart's setup up - they give you three options regular Lanes, self-checkout and the feeder line. The way most grocery stores are set up, I just can't see that happening anytime soon unless they have massive amount of space to spare
May 28, 2012
11696 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
I'll wait for a particular cashier at the grocery store, can't do that if there is a feeder line...and it would be next to impossible to move out of a packed line if you forgot an item on your list. It would work for smaller stores and express though.

I generally don't fret about the time it takes to get through a store line; nothing's going to change and you're just elevating your blood pressure. If it gets to be a negative shopping experience, I'll go to other stores or use other ways (i.e. u-scan at Walmart).
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
What about the "I'll just leave my cart here and go get a few more things" people?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14735 posts
10887 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I don't care about slow people....however I do care when people line up for someone and that someone pulls up with a cart load of items.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5834 posts
1099 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I don't care about slow people....however I do care when people line up for someone and that someone pulls up with a cart load of items.
What's wrong with that??
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25155 posts
21616 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
test9251 wrote: What's wrong with that??
Imagine that you get in the shortest line you can find. There is someone ahead of you. After waiting a few minutes their spouse appears out of the blue with a shopping cart full to the brim (worse, with a pile of flyers with stuff to PM and a bunch of coupons to redeem.) Had you known this when you joined that queue you might have joined a different queue.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5834 posts
1099 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Imagine that you get in the shortest line you can find. There is someone ahead of you. After waiting a few minutes their spouse appears out of the blue with a shopping cart full to the brim (worse, with a pile of flyers with stuff to PM and a bunch of coupons to redeem.) Had you known this when you joined that queue you might have joined a different queue.
Im 50-50 with this, they can stand in the line as long as they do not block the flow (waiting in front of cashier for their relative to bring the stuff). Whether they have flyers,. coupons, etc.. we cant do anything. I usually move to the other line if this happens.

Worst are those who brings out cash and coins and starts digging in their wallets slowly in front of cashier.

Self checkouts saves times if you have few items.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)