Entertainment

Spider-Man Far from Home (possibly LAST Sony/Marvel Studios Spidey co-operation)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2019 9:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7362 posts
8433 upvotes
GTA
Sony owns Spiderman, why should they share any profit?

Tom Holland won't be forever young, so Sony or Disney will have to reboot Spiderman eventually, say in 5 years tops. Now consider that Sony has proven that audiences have the stomach for a different Spiderman with Into the Spiderverse.
In the meantime, Sony could have Tom do a couple of movies with Venom amd Carnage, let them suck as badly as they will, no problem, they will still make money. Why? Because as stated, all Spidey movies make decent money, and consider the Venom movie. As much as I think it sucked, it did $800+ million worldwide.
Sony can run the Spidey movies with Tom and Tom and Woody into the ground for the next few years, then reboot with Miles Morales live action. Despite production amd marketing costs, the money made goes under the Sony banner and makes Sony look good in the books. Not only does Sony keep all their money, but so does the perceived success, which in turn makes it more likely the studio can continue to exist and bring in more projects outside of Spiderman a possibility. No need for anyone to question your studio's success based on Marvel's involvement.

If I was Sony, I wouldn't share either.

As an aside, I can see Disney salivating over the long term idea of having Miles Morales in their MCU. I think the upcoming MCU phase is going to rely on non-traditional characters and heroes, continue the Captain Marvel\Black Panther trajectory. Miles would be a great fit for the phase following the upcoming one, a young visible minority who is already an 'established' hero by name.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17422 posts
12772 upvotes
Toronto
Here's an alternate version of the Iron Man post credits scene that kicked off the MCU

No more mentioning radioactive bug bites but AFAIK mutants are good to go (come to think of IIRC the Sony versions used genetically altered bug bites but I don't recall if the MCU version mentioned how their shared Spidey became Spidey)
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
BernardRyder wrote: Sony owns Spiderman, why should they share any profit?

Tom Holland won't be forever young, so Sony or Disney will have to reboot Spiderman eventually, say in 5 years tops. Now consider that Sony has proven that audiences have the stomach for a different Spiderman with Into the Spiderverse.
In the meantime, Sony could have Tom do a couple of movies with Venom amd Carnage, let them suck as badly as they will, no problem, they will still make money. Why? Because as stated, all Spidey movies make decent money, and consider the Venom movie. As much as I think it sucked, it did $800+ million worldwide.
Sony can run the Spidey movies with Tom and Tom and Woody into the ground for the next few years, then reboot with Miles Morales live action. Despite production amd marketing costs, the money made goes under the Sony banner and makes Sony look good in the books. Not only does Sony keep all their money, but so does the perceived success, which in turn makes it more likely the studio can continue to exist and bring in more projects outside of Spiderman a possibility. No need for anyone to question your studio's success based on Marvel's involvement.

If I was Sony, I wouldn't share either.

As an aside, I can see Disney salivating over the long term idea of having Miles Morales in their MCU. I think the upcoming MCU phase is going to rely on non-traditional characters and heroes, continue the Captain Marvel\Black Panther trajectory. Miles would be a great fit for the phase following the upcoming one, a young visible minority who is already an 'established' hero by name.
Disney should just buy Sony Pictures and get this over with.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Disney got greedy with Sony and that's why the deal fell apart. Before Disney came in the Spiderman movies made good money, 700-900 million before Marvel came in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7057 posts
3368 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Disney got greedy with Sony and that's why the deal fell apart. Before Disney came in the Spiderman movies made good money, 700-900 million before Marvel came in.
I read that Disney was getting 10% from that spidey movie, but doing way more than 10% of the work.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
3872 posts
1873 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: I read that Disney was getting 10% from that spidey movie, but doing way more than 10% of the work.
No, they're getting 5% of opening week earnings but get to keep 100% of all earnings from merchandise.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3487 upvotes
Victoria
badOne wrote: I read that Disney was getting 10% from that spidey movie, but doing way more than 10% of the work.
They got a tiny part of the box office and merchandising. So they got a little for doing the work... in exchange they got to use spider-man in 3 other movies (at no cost).