• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 12:05 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 1, 2015
493 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto, ON
karupt wrote: What makes one shirt wrinkle less than another similar shirt?
The thinner the shirt, the more it wrinkles from personal experience. Avoid broadcloth or poplin unless you want to walk around with the wrinkliest shirt at the office. I've found that twill shirts tend to wrinkle less (fine twill will still wrinkle hard), but the royal twill is OK in terms of wrinkling because its thick. My biggest gripe is that you absolutely NEED to iron the shirts after washing. Steaming won't do the trick (using the non-handheld steamer from Costco). It wrinkles so bad where I wear Charles Tyrwhitt more than S&M with my suits on a day-to-day basis because I'd rather have minimal wrinkles than a nicer shirt on. However, for any formal events, I'd definitely iron and starch my S&M dress shirts since they look and feel 10x better than the shirts in the same price range.

I'd like to say that I have S&M shirts and tried other brands such as banana republic, brooks brothers, and charles tyrwhitt. I have been recommending S&M to everyone for their suits, but its just so damn hard to recommend them for their shirts due to the wrinkling issue. I'm giving their easy-iron shirt a try once they ship it to me. One last thing i'd like to note is that their shirts are without a doubt the best in their respective price range.
  • Collars are thick and stay in place without being floppy due to the fact that they are fused
  • Shirt fabric weight is relatively the same as the shirt placket and yoke (split yoke too). Have you noticed some shirts such as Banana Republic and Charles Tyrwhitt, especially white shirts, look more white on the yoke (shoulder/back) and placket (button area) than the rest of the shirt? It's because they're cutting costs by using less fabric/thinner weave.
Nov 4, 2013
103 posts
14 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: The thinner the shirt, the more it wrinkles from personal experience. Avoid broadcloth or poplin unless you want to walk around with the wrinkliest shirt at the office. I've found that twill shirts tend to wrinkle less (fine twill will still wrinkle hard), but the royal twill is OK in terms of wrinkling because its thick. My biggest gripe is that you absolutely NEED to iron the shirts after washing. Steaming won't do the trick (using the non-handheld steamer from Costco). It wrinkles so bad where I wear Charles Tyrwhitt more than S&M with my suits on a day-to-day basis because I'd rather have minimal wrinkles than a nicer shirt on. However, for any formal events, I'd definitely iron and starch my S&M dress shirts since they look and feel 10x better than the shirts in the same price range.

I'd like to say that I have S&M shirts and tried other brands such as banana republic, brooks brothers, and charles tyrwhitt. I have been recommending S&M to everyone for their suits, but its just so damn hard to recommend them for their shirts due to the wrinkling issue. I'm giving their easy-iron shirt a try once they ship it to me. One last thing i'd like to note is that their shirts are without a doubt the best in their respective price range.
  • Collars are thick and stay in place without being floppy due to the fact that they are fused
  • Shirt fabric weight is relatively the same as the shirt placket and yoke (split yoke too). Have you noticed some shirts such as Banana Republic and Charles Tyrwhitt, especially white shirts, look more white on the yoke (shoulder/back) and placket (button area) than the rest of the shirt? It's because they're cutting costs by using less fabric/thinner weave.
Thanks for the informative post.

I was looking to get my first m2m shirt done at S&M, now I am reconsidering. Where would you recommend?
Jul 13, 2004
400 posts
114 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: The thinner the shirt, the more it wrinkles from personal experience. Avoid broadcloth or poplin unless you want to walk around with the wrinkliest shirt at the office. I've found that twill shirts tend to wrinkle less (fine twill will still wrinkle hard), but the royal twill is OK in terms of wrinkling because its thick. My biggest gripe is that you absolutely NEED to iron the shirts after washing. Steaming won't do the trick (using the non-handheld steamer from Costco). It wrinkles so bad where I wear Charles Tyrwhitt more than S&M with my suits on a day-to-day basis because I'd rather have minimal wrinkles than a nicer shirt on. However, for any formal events, I'd definitely iron and starch my S&M dress shirts since they look and feel 10x better than the shirts in the same price range.

Agree with the wrinkling, but I will say that when they have their bundle deals it's still fairly good value - like $135 for 3 shirts that fit quite well. And if the stock is good, you can get some really nice patterns. I have more of an issue with the buttons falling off all the time than the wrinkling. I've had like 5-6 shirts with buttons falling off whether it's the cuff or the front. I used to buy from Maxwell, but their shirts are just too expensive these days with the pattern selection going downhill.
Jan 1, 2015
493 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto, ON
karupt wrote: Thanks for the informative post.

I was looking to get my first m2m shirt done at S&M, now I am reconsidering. Where would you recommend?
S&M is still the best bang for the buck, you can easily tell the difference when you hold a shirt of similar price (BR, CT, even Brooks Bros sometimes) and compare side-by-side. I wear Charles Tyrwhitt (~$50CAD per shirt vs S&Ms $38-48 shirts) non-iron extra slim fit for my day-to-day due to the non-iron coating, but the S&M shirts are always my go-to for more formal events where I want a cleaner, more refined shirts. I purchased one of the easy-iron shirts and will report back on how it wrinkles.

I'd like to note that if you starch your shirts, the S&M wrinkling isn't as bad as people say. They wrinkle at the areas where people really don't notice because it's so common. such as elbows, back, maybe stomach if you're a bit fat. If you don't starch your shirts after a machine wash, it will look like garbage even after ironing. I'm sure other S&M customers can agree with me that the front placket after a wash looks destroyed until you iron it and even then it'll be very "brittle". Only when you starch is when it gives the fabric structure and makes it look like a $300 shirt. My main pain point is the S&M shirts with semi-spread collar looks so damn good with the S&M suits (both with and without top-button done) that not wearing the shirts is doing a disservice to their beautiful suits. I don't have that much time in my life to iron nowadays, so the poison must be picked and I've picked the non-iron route Face With Tears Of Joy. If S&M can get their hands on a non-iron wash that can be applied to the majority of their shirts, they would truly receive heavy praise all across the board.
Fishing wrote: Agree with the wrinkling, but I will say that when they have their bundle deals it's still fairly good value - like $135 for 3 shirts that fit quite well. And if the stock is good, you can get some really nice patterns. I have more of an issue with the buttons falling off all the time than the wrinkling. I've had like 5-6 shirts with buttons falling off whether it's the cuff or the front. I used to buy from Maxwell, but their shirts are just too expensive these days with the pattern selection going downhill.
I don't disagree on their value and I really wish they can deal with the wrinkling. I do see threads on the buttons of 1-2 shirts starting to come out, but honestly it's a cheap fix and I considered it as a byproduct of the low-price. They have to cost cut somewhere considering they are using high quality buttons rather than some plastic garbage.
May 17, 2004
744 posts
71 upvotes
I have had over a hundred custom dress shirts made from all different places from HK tailors to Harry Rosen. S&M is the best value out there. Have had about 16+ shirts done at S&M and happy with their product. The wrinkling is only on delicate fabrics, if that bothers you then stay away from those. Personally I like those fabrics as they are softer and feel better on the skin.

If you are on a budget then their suits are ok too, but I recommend spending a bit more and doing a Samuelsohn MTM during one of their trunk sales at Harry Rosen. You are getting a much better quality product. Stay away from Coppley - overpriced in my experience and not happy with any of the Coppley suits I have had done.
Heatware:
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=32192

Ebay:
Over 100 Feedback under "techtoys2002"