Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Spirit Airline] Hot! Buffalo for Fort Lauderdale $24 each way!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 8:31 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 10, 2014
694 posts
145 upvotes
mmhassa2 wrote: Some of the replies in this thread really amused me but more importantly made to realize how paranoid some of you are. :)
It seems more that they like to rain on your parade.
Jealousy perhaps?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
lovefreemoney wrote: It seems more that they like to rain on your parade.
Jealousy perhaps?
Haha I doubt thats the reason but I do think those who are replying haven't been to overseas with young children either. We've already gone back home which is a 1+ day long flight and guess after going through such a LONG flight..an 3 hour seems like a walk in the park. Weather is the only thing thats our concern but that can be an issue even in GTA. Our flight is 2 months away, I'm sure the buffalo storm will clear up by then..maybe it'll come visit Toronto around the same time and those who decided to be "safe" will be the ones missing flights? ;)
Nov 11, 2011
383 posts
460 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Thanks for taking the time to post this, I honestly thought Spirit only flew out of Detroit so this is news for me! Excellent deal and enjoy your vacation...
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
mmhassa2 wrote: Some of the replies in this thread really amused me but more importantly made to realize how paranoid some of you are. :)
Paranoid?? The snow storms they get in Buffalo are legendary. Heck they are still talking about the blizzard of '77. That's why I went down there 2 weeks ago to stock up for the winter. I won't need to go back before spring.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Aug 26, 2010
925 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton
88wingnut wrote: ...Carnival, LOL.
Their food is actually good and you spend most of the day off the ship on some island.. just sleep and eat on the boat.
$40 airline + $300 cruise for a week out of FLL.. I probably spend more on food, gas and heating living in Toronto for a week.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
mmhassa2 wrote: Haha I doubt thats the reason but I do think those who are replying haven't been to overseas with young children either. We've already gone back home which is a 1+ day long flight and guess after going through such a LONG flight..an 3 hour seems like a walk in the park. Weather is the only thing thats our concern but that can be an issue even in GTA. Our flight is 2 months away, I'm sure the buffalo storm will clear up by then..maybe it'll come visit Toronto around the same time and those who decided to be "safe" will be the ones missing flights? ;)
Oh, so the fact it has cleared up means there won't be another one? lol. I'd rather be in Toronto if there is a snowstorm and wait at home until it clears up than be in Niagara Falls, NY holed up in a hotel (that I have to pay) for with 3 toddlers after a 3 hour drive through the night.

But we all have different value matrices. I am not into torture.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote: Paranoid?? The snow storms they get in Buffalo are legendary. Heck they are still talking about the blizzard of '77. That's why I went down there 2 weeks ago to stock up for the winter. I won't need to go back before spring.
Really? We shop alot from buffalo and go pretty much every 2-3 months including in the winter and never had such issue. Ofcourse there are occasional extreme storms, then again we have the same in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: Oh, so the fact it has cleared up means there won't be another one? lol. I'd rather be in Toronto if there is a snowstorm and wait at home until it clears up than be in Niagara Falls, NY holed up in a hotel (that I have to pay) for with 3 toddlers after a 3 hour drive through the night.

But we all have different value matrices. I am not into torture.
Guess we agree on something...will send you a post card from our warm vacation :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
mmhassa2 wrote: Guess we agree on something...will send you a post card from our warm vacation :)
Actually I am on vacation the same week too, so I'll send you one from my vacay too, one that I travelled to without the addition of a 3-hour drive to NF, NY in the middle of the night each way with 3 cranky kids and the potential to end up in a snowstorm away from home just to save a few scheckels.

:)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
TomRFD wrote: Pretty good deal but I prefer to fly Southwest whenever I fly out of the US.
Best airline in North America if you fly coach; absolutely worth the extra money. If you catch their seat sales at the right time, you can snag some amazing deals.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
mmhassa2 wrote: Just booked Jan 22-29 return for 2 adults and 3 children (12,4,3) for $268 with taxes!!!! Plus whatever luggages with want to check in ($). We travel light so not an issue for us.
Paired with with Carnival 5 Western Caribbean cruise with ocean view room for another $1300!

Under $2K for a family of 5 is a sweet deal as we just did a 2 week driving all over florida and carnival cruise/disney this past May for MUCH more.
We're paying $363 for our Westjet flights non-stop to Fort Lauderdale one day before for a week so I wanted to see just how good a deal this was, setting aside the crazy departure and arrival time and the drive. The base fare was ridiculously low but with the 'taxes',etc it worked out to $111, then one has to add $26 each way as all they allow you to carry on is a tiny backpack or purse + $30 (costs $60 to park for the week) all USD + $25 gas ($50 total). That makes it $111+$52+$30=$193 USD = $222 USD + $25 CDN = $247 CDN per adult.

So, saving $116 each but having to endure 6 hours driving and middle of the night arrival and departure times? Not for most people.

Btw, the OP seems to have forgotten to convert to Canadian funds, forgot to include carry on (no way anyone can get away with the tiny bag they allow you to take on), forgot to include the $60 parking and I think forgot to include the cost of the Spirit club membership and then there's the gas.
Nov 20, 2006
76 posts
114 upvotes
eonibm wrote: We're paying $363 for our Westjet flights non-stop to Fort Lauderdale one day before for a week so I wanted to see just how good a deal this was, setting aside the crazy departure and arrival time and the drive. The base fare was ridiculously low but with the 'taxes',etc it worked out to $111, then one has to add $26 each way as all they allow you to carry on is a tiny backpack or purse + $30 (costs $60 to park for the week) all USD + $25 gas ($50 total). That makes it $111+$52+$30=$193 USD = $222 USD + $25 CDN = $247 CDN per adult.

So, saving $116 each but having to endure 6 hours driving and middle of the night arrival and departure times? Not for most people.

Btw, the OP seems to have forgotten to convert to Canadian funds, forgot to include carry on (no way anyone can get away with the tiny bag they allow you to take on), forgot to include the $60 parking and I think forgot to include the cost of the Spirit club membership and then there's the gas.
Tickets for flights change on the daily. When did you book your flight? The Spirit price is for today. Regardless, this flight works for some, and not for others. Sounds like your trying to justifiy your own purchase to make yourself feel better on a deal thread that may be value add for some. No need for unnecessary haterage. Also very humble of you to point out that you "make enough money" not to depend on this deal. Speak less than you know, have more than you show. Cheers.
Sep 29, 2014
286 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton, ON
is there a way to avoid the yearly membership fee? Im trying to instead of pay 59.95 i want to pay the 60 day 19.95 instead cause i know i wont be doing any travel after this trip... but there is no option to do 19.95 instead of 59.95.. thx
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Don't forget your snow shovel.

For the return flight too. :lol:
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
kd5000 wrote: Tickets for flights change on the daily. When did you book your flight? The Spirit price is for today. Regardless, this flight works for some, and not for others. Sounds like your trying to justifiy your own purchase to make yourself feel better on a deal thread that may be value add for some. No need for unnecessary haterage. Also very humble of you to point out that you "make enough money" not to depend on this deal. Speak less than you know, have more than you show. Cheers.
The OP doing the math wrong has nothing to do with me having to justify my trip, especially since mine is arguably better value in the first place.

Don't confuse well-placed a criticism with haterage (which is a touch dramatic on any level).
Dec 28, 2011
71 posts
7 upvotes
St Thomas
That is a crazy well priced flight - but be warned, their flights are often delayed .... we booked our vacation to Costa Rica and we flew Spirit. We ended up stranded in Fort Lauderdale, delayed 11 hours and their customer service was terrible (The delay was put on the screen 20 min before boarding was to begin and they never actually announced the delay, just changed the screen to reflect the delay) ..... no one to talk to, the line ups to speak with the ticket agents were half the length of the terminal and the only thing they offered us was a $7 meal voucher per person, so unless you can afford to lose a day or two of traveling, I would not recommend. I called the 1-888 # and they told me there was absolutely nothing they could do. Also checked luggage at the gate was $90 US for 2 bags, the same 2 bags at the gate with Delta were $50, so if you are doing a basic flight with a small carry-on you are ok.
The planes are cramped, but flights are relatively quick, so it's not like your squished for that long .....
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
dearabby wrote: That is a crazy well priced flight - but be warned, their flights are often delayed .... we booked our vacation to Costa Rica and we flew Spirit. We ended up stranded in Fort Lauderdale, delayed 11 hours and their customer service was terrible (The delay was put on the screen 20 min before boarding was to begin and they never actually announced the delay, just changed the screen to reflect the delay) ..... no one to talk to, the line ups to speak with the ticket agents were half the length of the terminal and the only thing they offered us was a $7 meal voucher per person, so unless you can afford to lose a day or two of traveling, I would not recommend. I called the 1-888 # and they told me there was absolutely nothing they could do. Also checked luggage at the gate was $90 US for 2 bags, the same 2 bags at the gate with Delta were $50, so if you are doing a basic flight with a small carry-on you are ok.
The planes are cramped, but flights are relatively quick, so it's not like your squished for that long .....
As usual, get what you pay for (and you pay a lot more than what you think when you add it all up).
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
eonibm wrote: We're paying $363 for our Westjet flights non-stop to Fort Lauderdale one day before for a week so I wanted to see just how good a deal this was, setting aside the crazy departure and arrival time and the drive. The base fare was ridiculously low but with the 'taxes',etc it worked out to $111, then one has to add $26 each way as all they allow you to carry on is a tiny backpack or purse + $30 (costs $60 to park for the week) all USD + $25 gas ($50 total). That makes it $111+$52+$30=$193 USD = $222 USD + $25 CDN = $247 CDN per adult.

You won't be paying for parking on your WestJet flight? Granted you may have family or friends willing to drive you to a nearby airport, but I don't think it is fair to assume that everyone does when making the comparison.

-GT

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)