• Dec 8th, 2021 6:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2909 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto

Spirit airline personal item dimensions

Can anyone tell from personal experience if Spirit air is very strict with personal item dimensions?
For luggage its usually overall dimensions but for personal item they have it LxWxD separately 18x14x8.
Will they allow an item within the overall dimensions but exceeding the L or W dimensions?
6 replies
Jun 13, 2018
922 posts
640 upvotes
bsobaid wrote: Can anyone tell from personal experience if Spirit air is very strict with personal item dimensions?
For luggage its usually overall dimensions but for personal item they have it LxWxD separately 18x14x8.
Will they allow an item within the overall dimensions but exceeding the L or W dimensions?
It has to fit under the seat. If it sticks out, you'll pay for a gate check.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10573 posts
3896 upvotes
bsobaid wrote: Can anyone tell from personal experience if Spirit air is very strict with personal item dimensions?
I haven’t flown spirit in about 5 years but did the Niagara Falls fort launderdale flight 14 segments (some connections to Central America )

Spirit business model like most low cost carriers business is in these fees. I checked Detroit to fort launderdale for a carry on (non personal item) and you’re looking at $44usd if booked with ticket. or if you get caught at gate it’s $74 usd

Up to you if you want to risk it.

I’ve only done personal items with spirit on that Niagara Falls Fort Lauderdale route but they didn’t appear to be checking. It’s going to depend on the crew. On one hand it’s their business on the other hand spirit seems to have frequent incidents of passenger violence (fist fights and more) on the ground and in the air so perhaps they may avoid confrontation it’s anyones guess

Perhaps pack light on the way there and use a personal item. Then do some cheap USA shopping g for what you need and pay for a carry on for the way home (or mail it)
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2651 posts
2209 upvotes
GTA West
I was looking at Amazon a couple of years ago and they had a number of bags specifically sized for the Spirit personal item allowance. If people are seeking those out it may indicate that size limits are a big deal with Spirit.
Jun 13, 2018
922 posts
640 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I was looking at Amazon a couple of years ago and they had a number of bags specifically sized for the Spirit personal item allowance. If people are seeking those out it may indicate that size limits are a big deal with Spirit.

Its a major profit center for low cost carriers.
Images
  • Screenshot_20211204-163441.jpg
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10573 posts
3896 upvotes
ritzcrv wrote: Its a major profit center for low cost carriers.
Haven’t seen that but it’s an efficient system to nab people cheating
Autocorrect sucks
Aug 18, 2013
341 posts
631 upvotes
Next door
You'll look a bit dorky but a photographer vest will hold a lot.

I use it since I will never check camera gear and it also gets me around the carry-on weight allowance.

Just put the stuff back in the camera bag after they weigh it.