Personal Finance

Splitting the bills in a marriage

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2017 11:20 am
Jan 15, 2017
63 posts
67 upvotes
reputableone wrote: 0
So you get the education and your wife gets your debt? Pathetic.
Yup. But you ignore that she also gets to hang out with my charming personality, so I'd say we're about even.

In all seriousness, you might also think it's pathetic that she supported me while I was unemployed, then again in grad school for two years. However, I feel that it brought us closer, knowing that we can count on each other during times of stress. For better or for worse. I'd happily do the same if the roles were reversed, and I suspect you would too.

You'll be glad to know that I'm earning my keep now. I could pay off the debt if I wanted to, but we're focusing our building our a nest egg and taking advantage of the current low interest rates.
[OP]
May 7, 2017
86 posts
35 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Asking this question on RFD is like looking at profiles on Facebook. Everyone looks content with decisions they made, but in reality you don't know anything beyond the surface post they are making.

As with anything in life, such a decision should be only made by you as you are the one living with another individual and hopefully you got to know them well enough to decide which course of action you should partake financially. Forget this we share everything because we are a team nonsense as well the strict splitting of finances.

You decide, not RFD.
You are right. I thought I would have heard a lot more "don't make the same mistake I did" posts.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)