Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sport Chek

10x Skate Sharpening Card (Does not expire) - $37.49

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2023 10:45 am
Aug 25, 2006
836 posts
166 upvotes
$37.49 is this sales price? what is the regular price?
Apr 27, 2017
330 posts
491 upvotes
It is a mediocre sharpen but it's the price of convenience. Plus the sportchek I go to has generally nice techs. I washed a card in a soft plastic holder and it was almost fully faded, they gave me a new card with the same amount of sharpens I had before.
May 27, 2019
146 posts
450 upvotes
willnwong wrote: Ain't gonna let a kid making near minimum wage sharpen my $1200 skates...
If you have $1200 skates you better have multiple equipment managers available to skarpen them for you
Jan 12, 2011
325 posts
614 upvotes
If you have the means and several skates to sharpen frequently, I'd strongly suggest investing in a Sparx sharpener. It is worth it for the job it does, as well as the convenience of not using gas/time to go and sharpen at a store where there may be zero consistency between sharpens (ex. Sport Chek).
Feb 6, 2015
72 posts
56 upvotes
Sauga
CertainSomeone wrote: I still have 2 cards (non expired too) from whatever-the-name-that-has-Sports-in-it that went belly up so CT/SC took over.

I'm just posting to find out what that name was Face With Tears Of Joy
Collegiate Sports
May 29, 2006
691 posts
225 upvotes
Find a Sportchek that uses a machine instead of a manual sharpener…. Most around here have switched to automatic machines
Dec 23, 2010
480 posts
919 upvotes
Toronto
Does the Sport Chek at Maple Leaf Square in Toronto do it, and if so can anyone comment on the quality?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1476 posts
606 upvotes
Duuuuude wrote: Friends don't let friends sharpen their skates at sport chek. They have butchered mine and my kids skates several times not to mention friends that have had the same terrible experiences. Anything from lack of actual sharpening, to having the angle of the bottom of the blade changed so that it is tilted to one side. Not worth it, even casually unless you know someone who works there and knows what they're doing. Overall, they don't train people on how to sharpen skates.
Too bad National Sports closed down. I sharpened at the Scarborough location for 20+ years and never had an issue. I don't like Sportchek but still have 2 brand new cards from National, which can only be used at Sportchek.

Sportchek at Eglington and Warden is horrible. Avoid that place. I sharpened at Fairview twice this year (manual and Fireball machine). Both were okay but weren't great. However, they screwed up on my nephew's sharpening. It was sharpened by some young kid. My nephew couldn't even skate on them and totally ruined his game.

I don't want to waste my cards but at the same time worried about gambling with the Sportchek sharpenings. If they screw up badly, it's unskatable and you'll miss your game.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1759 posts
525 upvotes
Woodbridge
Meridian wrote: Too bad National Sports closed down. I sharpened at the Scarborough location for 20+ years and never had an issue. I don't like Sportchek but still have 2 brand new cards from National, which can only be used at Sportchek.

Sportchek at Eglington and Warden is horrible. Avoid that place. I sharpened at Fairview twice this year (manual and Fireball machine). Both were okay but weren't great. However, they screwed up on my nephew's sharpening. It was sharpened by some young kid. My nephew couldn't even skate on them and totally ruined his game.

I don't want to waste my cards but at the same time worried about gambling with the Sportchek sharpenings. If they screw up badly, it's unskatable and you'll miss your game.
Did you check if pro hockey life accepts national cards? They do a decent job but at times it could be a long wait
May 28, 2006
838 posts
592 upvotes
Sprite_TM wrote: if sportchek is bad, what places do you recommend to sharpen your skates?
You usually will find a local place that you rely on, and sharpens them to how you want to depending on preference also if they have the machine you want, there's a couple of different ones now.

For example In Edmonton I used to go to Proskate, or Totem for a 1" hollow, then a place really close to me opened up with the new machine that does that flat bottom V sharpening so I tried that out with a 1" equivalence and liked it enough to keep that for about a decade now. The place closed down though but Proskate still has it so I went back to Proskate.

For my bad sportchek story I bought a pair of skates in the summer time years back. It came with a free sharpen.

They disappeared for 20 minutes, gave me my skates and off I went. Next week I go to the rink in the morning for public skating and step on the ice. Literally can not move. I stand there and I'm like Bambi on ice. They never sharpened them. I've never stood on the ice with completely unsharpened skates (why would I have), but yeah with no edges to push off of I just stood there trying for a minute.

Gave up, went home, waste of a morning and a lost day of skating.

Edit - I just reread this and I had to fix some words I missed
Last edited by Smiley09 on Oct 15th, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4378 posts
1597 upvotes
Sprite_TM wrote: if sportchek is bad, what places do you recommend to sharpen your skates?
i now will only go to hockey lions in richmond hill and the local rink guy.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB since 2018
May 24, 2007
428 posts
123 upvotes
Thanks - been waiting for these to go back on sale.

Been using the sport chek near me for years and never had an issue.

Got a couple of sharpens at the source for sports that all the good hockey players swear by, and didn't notice a difference.

Mind you - I'm not very good.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2055 posts
4046 upvotes
willnwong wrote: Ain't gonna let a kid making near minimum wage sharpen my $1200 skates...
You must be a pro ; or on the olympic team at least.
Sep 10, 2019
5 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Good deal if you are just using your skates for recreational purposes.
Jan 6, 2011
577 posts
827 upvotes
toronto
6060842 wrote: You must be a pro ; or on the olympic team at least.
; or you hating :)
Oct 2, 2006
200 posts
29 upvotes
Anyone know any stores in the lower mainland that uses the sparx machine.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2055 posts
4046 upvotes
pux420 wrote: ; or you hating :)
I don't wear hats , they make my head itch.