Expired Hot Deals

[Sport Chek] 2020 Nakamura Effect 27.5 Men's / Antidote 27.5 Women's Mountain Bike - $275

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 3:45 am
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
32 posts
38 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

[Sport Chek] 2020 Nakamura Effect 27.5 Men's / Antidote 27.5 Women's Mountain Bike - $275

Men's: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/nakamura-effect-275-mens-mountain-bike-2020-333048131.html
Women's: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/nakamura-antidote-275-womens-mountain-bike-2020-333048226.html
Images
  • womens.jpg
  • mens.jpg
39 replies
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1051 upvotes
How do ppl feel comfortable with expensive bikes when they might get stolen? I've read no lock is safe... Unless you never leave it out in public ever?
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
32 posts
38 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I live rural, so not really an issue here. Otherwise I'd keep it indoors.
Dec 16, 2012
74 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I’d lock it to something secure (not just a street pole) with a U-Lock as well as a cable for the wheels.
That said, you’re right that it could still get stolen. I live in Vancouver and I have bikes i wouldn’t lock up as well as a bike I take if I know I’m locking it up...
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3347 posts
5017 upvotes
Langley, BC
HailHydra wrote: How do ppl feel comfortable with expensive bikes when they might get stolen? I've read no lock is safe... Unless you never leave it out in public ever?
Do you think these bikes are expensive?
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
32 posts
38 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
steven80 wrote: Do you think these bikes are expensive?
Expensive is relative:)
If you're used to buying $150 walmart bikes, these are expensive.
If you have a $1000+ bike these would be cheap.
Dec 16, 2012
74 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I’m looking for a friend and 50% off seems pretty decent to get this bike into his price range.

Some things to note though (from online feedback)
- The shocks are heavy and not great and not adjustable - but this would depend on your use for it I think + the shocks don’t get a lot better until you’re spending more $
- Sunrace components are on the cheap side but people seem to think they’re durable/lightweight/functional enough
- It will be in your beat interest to have this assembled at a bike shop or to take a few hours to make sure it’s good. Not recommended to assume sport chek knew what they were doing.

All that said, I still might suggest to my friend that he goes for this. I like that it’s an aluminum frame and has disk brakes. He might buy a dropper seat after because I think that’s something he wants with it.
Dec 25, 2007
469 posts
334 upvotes
CALGARY
Rear Hub: Alloy 3/8" Nutted Axle

That would be a deal breaker for me but the picture does look like a quick release.
If you ever got a flat that would be pretty bad times.
Sunrace components are ok from what I have heard but I have never heard of C-Star for brakes. 160MM rotors should be ample.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5197 posts
1780 upvotes
HailHydra wrote: How do ppl feel comfortable with expensive bikes when they might get stolen? I've read no lock is safe... Unless you never leave it out in public ever?
If a pro bike theif wants it, no lock will stop them. These are not expensive bikes, but a crackhead/theif won't know the difference anyway since these look like premium bikes.
AdrianOBC wrote: Expensive is relative:)
If you're used to buying $150 walmart bikes, these are expensive.
If you have a $1000+ bike these would be cheap.
Well stated, IMO of you're going to drop this much on a mountain bike, might as well save a couple hundred more and get something actually decent.
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1051 upvotes
joshmxpx wrote: If a pro bike theif wants it, no lock will stop them. These are not expensive bikes, but a crackhead/theif won't know the difference anyway since these look like premium bikes.

Well stated, IMO of you're going to drop this much on a mountain bike, might as well save a couple hundred more and get something actually decent.
I live in an area with a fair share of crackheads and bike thieves (Maple Ridge). How good are the heavy duty U-locks in stopping a crackhead with your typical snipers? I checked the sportchek clearance bike accessories and they had braided steel cable locks and the products have 1 star because people say they get snipped. I imagine an average lock cutter will do the trick for those.
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1051 upvotes
steven80 wrote: Do you think these bikes are expensive?
I'm someone who didn't buy a bike for 6 years because of money. So yes, especially looking at the original MSRP of $550.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5197 posts
1780 upvotes
HailHydra wrote: I live in an area with a fair share of crackheads and bike thieves (Maple Ridge). How good are the heavy duty U-locks in stopping a crackhead with your typical snipers? I checked the sportchek clearance bike accessories and they had braided steel cable locks and the products have 1 star because people say they get snipped. I imagine an average lock cutter will do the trick for those.
Look up Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube to see how quickly a ulock can be bypassed...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2226 posts
1369 upvotes
North Vancouver
HailHydra wrote: I live in an area with a fair share of crackheads and bike thieves (Maple Ridge). How good are the heavy duty U-locks in stopping a crackhead with your typical snipers? I checked the sportchek clearance bike accessories and they had braided steel cable locks and the products have 1 star because people say they get snipped. I imagine an average lock cutter will do the trick for those.
I had two bikes stolen at UBC. Both were from Costco and were nothing fancy. The first was stolen while I was in class and the braided cable lock was cleanly cut through. The second bike had a U-lock and they stole everything they could but the frame (wheels, seats, steering bar) which was still locked to the bike rack when I found it. :-( Made me so mad I wanted to get a 3rd bike, lock it and wait in a bush with a baseball bat.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Dec 8, 2012
754 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
I ordered this one yesterday, don’t forget Rakuten and 10% sign-up discount.
Before I had $80 walmart bike, which is a piece of work, so I hope this one will be good enough for a casual weekend ride in the park.
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1051 upvotes
Sorcerer wrote: I had two bikes stolen at UBC. Both were from Costco and were nothing fancy. The first was stolen while I was in class and the braided cable lock was cleanly cut through. The second bike had a U-lock and they stole everything they could but the frame (wheels, seats, steering bar) which was still locked to the bike rack when I found it. :-( Made me so mad I wanted to get a 3rd bike, lock it and wait in a bush with a baseball bat.
That sucks. I went to UBC once upon a time and I'd sometimes see bikes with just the frame locked to the bike stand. Sucks it happened to you.

joshmxpx wrote: Look up Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube to see how quickly a ulock can be bypassed...
Wow. I guess no bike lock is truly safe, but I doubt crackheads will have his skill.
Jun 18, 2015
554 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HailHydra wrote: I live in an area with a fair share of crackheads and bike thieves (Maple Ridge). How good are the heavy duty U-locks in stopping a crackhead with your typical pizza snipers? I checked the sportchek clearance bike accessories and they had braided steel cable locks and the products have 1 star because people say they get snipped. I imagine an average lock cutter will do the trick for those.
They use battery powered grinders that cut through the bar in minutes.

No lock is full proof.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
32 posts
38 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
pnowicki wrote: Dumb question, what is the difference between the Large and Medium sizes on these? I see no measurements that would indicate the bike size or weight.
Right above where you select the size there's a link to the size chart:
MEDIUM BIKE FRAME SIZE(INCHES) 17"
HEIGHT 5'7" - 5'11" INSEAM 28" - 31"
LARGE BIKE FRAME SIZE(INCHES) 19"
HEIGHT 5'10" - 6'2" INSEAM 30" - 33"
Nov 8, 2012
64 posts
41 upvotes
EDMONTON
Anyone know how much these bikes weigh? I don't see any weights in the specifications.
Nov 8, 2012
64 posts
41 upvotes
EDMONTON
Also what is the difference between the two models? I see the colour is different and one is labelled a mens bike and the other a women's bike. However the geometry of both looks the same. What are the differences?