Expired Hot Deals

[Sport Chek] Calgary Stephen Ave Closing 30% sale

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 3:18 pm
Nov 3, 2009
905 posts
331 upvotes
Calgary
Wow, can't believe there are so many YYC Rfders! Awesome!
Nov 3, 2009
905 posts
331 upvotes
Calgary
while[1];do;done wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 6:19 pm
It’s the worst downtown for a city of its size. Once 5 hits, it’s a traffic jam to get out of the core and everything closes except for a few restaurants and bars.

No one needs to put a nail in the coffin of downtown Calgary. It never had a pulse to begin with - ever.
They need to move the CP train out of it and put C-train underground! Calgary downtown is very similar to Houston downtown. After 6PM, all dead.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
ibuddler wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:52 am
For now..

They keep these current conditions up and there won't be nearly as many.

Anyhow, I'll be heading there soon as I get off work, don't expect to find anything left that I'd want.
Best deals:
Oct 8, 2012
53 posts
8 upvotes
TaurusJudge wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:16 pm
For now..

Anyhow, I'll be heading there soon as I get off work, don't expect to find anything left that I'd want.
Yes d.t. Calgary is a joke I agree with most of the commentators. So much potential yet wasted. A grocery store for one would be nice. East Calgary is turning out to be a great addition, until the next flood.

I was there over lunch hour, long lineups but lots of stock available, at least for the stuff I was looking at. Some good deals as 30% off clearance prices as well. However, buyer beware as I picked up a pair of Saucony Ride 10's which were $160 before markdown (regular price), but a quick check on their website revealed the web price to be 30% off! So best to double-check prices before heading to the till.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
4018 posts
2280 upvotes
Calgary
Non golf clothing for men is pretty picked over already. Although looked to be lots of Under Armor.The golf clothing was all 40% off boxing week so no deal now. I grabbed a few adidas and Nike shirts. Find a 20$ off 100 coupon to help.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
indocanuck wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:38 pm
Yes d.t. Calgary is a joke I agree with most of the commentators. So much potential yet wasted. A grocery store for one would be nice. East Calgary is turning out to be a great addition, until the next flood.

I was there over lunch hour, long lineups but lots of stock available, at least for the stuff I was looking at. Some good deals as 30% off clearance prices as well. However, buyer beware as I picked up a pair of Saucony Ride 10's which were $160 before markdown (regular price), but a quick check on their website revealed the web price to be 30% off! So best to double-check prices before heading to the till.
Nice post friendo. This is why I told my wife I'll be there a little bit to price compare, as many here are aware, sales for stores closing down tend to mark up prices to lure people with % discounts that seem amazing, when in fact they're warm at best, often times a regular sale price or worse.
Best deals:
Jun 3, 2005
128 posts
45 upvotes
ibuddler wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:52 am
Same here I seldomly see comments about Calgary neighborhoods unless it's Best Buy or Wal-Mart deal thread. I'm surprised to see so many comments about the state of YYC downtown.
toothless_grin
[OP]
Oct 5, 2006
555 posts
343 upvotes
Calgary
TaurusJudge wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:16 pm
For now..

Maybe once the stupid equalization payment ends and Alertans get to keep their own money and weather this oil slow down...
Dec 17, 2017
5 posts
Total bait and switch deal! They pulled sale tags off sale merch to knock back up to rrp. Example Men's Asics Nimbus 19 rrp of $199, website shows on for $119. So $80 off. I take a pair to till $139 so $199 less 30%....I say well your web shows $119...their solution is to match website but no additional 30%.

RIP
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
Sufficed to say, I wasted my time. Marked up prices, some items not even qualifying for 30% even with the markups.

I can see why this place is getting flushed.

There are far, far better online deals with regularity.

On the bright side, only a 15-20 minute deviation as I waited until I was going to the Core.
Best deals:
Nov 3, 2009
905 posts
331 upvotes
Calgary
TaurusJudge wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:43 pm
Sufficed to say, I wasted my time. Marked up prices, some items not even qualifying for 30% even with the markups.

On the bright side, only a 15-20 minute deviation as I waited until I was going to the Core.
apple watch 3 on 30% discount is pretty hot.
Feb 22, 2015
172 posts
93 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
loulinjai wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:26 am
Is there any available?
Yes - as of last Saturday when I was there.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1580 posts
957 upvotes
Banffdeals wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:28 pm
Total bait and switch deal! They pulled sale tags off sale merch to knock back up to rrp. Example Men's Asics Nimbus 19 rrp of $199, website shows on for $119. So $80 off. I take a pair to till $139 so $199 less 30%....I say well your web shows $119...their solution is to match website but no additional 30%.

RIP
TaurusJudge wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:43 pm

Pretty standard practice for "close out" or "bankruptcy" sales.
Majority of consumers don't know better and to them a blanket 30% off seems like a deal plus the enticement of closeout = deals.

Same theory applies to black Friday and boxing day.

But there are deals to be had if you know the difference between the standard sale price and a great price.
Oct 8, 2012
53 posts
8 upvotes
Chewfam wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:02 pm
Pretty standard practice for "close out" or "bankruptcy" sales.
Majority of consumers don't know better and to them a blanket 30% off seems like a deal plus the enticement of closeout = deals.

Same theory applies to black Friday and boxing day.

But there are deals to be had if you know the difference between the standard sale price and a great price.
I was there again at lunch today to do some returns, and what a difference a day makes. The place has been thoroughly swept and while there is still a lot of stuff there it must be 25% less in just 24 hours. There may be some deals there but much of the good stuff I would guess is gone. A lot of what is left is 'regular' price which RFDers wouldn't bother with.
Jan 3, 2019
1 posts
It's not "marked up", the store just isn't following the weekly temporary sales that every other store/the website is following due to the close down. They are simply doing a blanket sale of 30% off the lowest ticketed price. Ticketed prices are regular price or a permanent mark down price. They will price match the website sale but not give an additional 30% off that sale price.