Sport Chek

Clearance High End Skates Leaside Toronto $239.88 Easton, RBK, Bauer

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2015 11:56 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
739 posts
312 upvotes

[Sport Chek] Clearance High End Skates Leaside Toronto $239.88 Easton, RBK, Bauer

I was at the Leaside Sport Chek (Laird/Wicksteed) in Toronto getting my skates sharpened and noticed a clearance table of skates. I was shocked at how low some of the high end skates were going for:

• RBK 20K (top of the line about 2-3 years ago) for $239.88 (originally around $800)
• Bauer Nexus 1000 skates (top of the line 2 years ago) for $239.88 (originally around $800)
• Bauer One.9 White LE skates (second from the top 2 years ago) for $209.88 (originally around $700)
• Easton Mako skates (top of the line in 2013) for $239.88 (originally $899)
• RBK Goalie skates (don’t recall the price, but likely around the $240 mark based on the rest of the pricing).

Those prices are great as is, but you can get an even better deal by using a team assist coupon for an additional 20% off. I used one of them and bought myself a pair of Easton Makos after trying on a bunch of the clearance models and the coupon dropped the price down to $191 before tax ($215 after tax). You can also collect Scene points if you have a Scene card and if you have a Canadian Tire Options Mastercard and use that you’ll get approx. 4% back in Canadian Tire money on the card (Canadian Tire owns Sport Chek and offers 10X CT Money or 4% at Marks, Sport Chek and of course CT).

As many of you know the current TA coupons with 20% off expire this Saturday, Feb 28 and the new TA books will only have the 2 free skate sharpening coupons and a $10 off $50 or more coupon. So you'd ideally want to use the 20% off coupon by Saturday to get the best deal on clearance items.

They also had some sticks on clearance including the Warrior DT2 for $89 (2nd from the top in 2012 and originally over $200), a stack of clearance ski and snowboard and winter coats on racks (didn’t look at the ski boots or coats too closely).

I took a few pictures of the skate table that shows some sizes available and the prices. I did not capture all the skates/sizes in the pictures. Other Sport Chek locations will have some clearance deals, but I stopped by three other locations (Eglinton/Warden, Fairview Mall and Promenade) and those locations did not have any high end models available – the best deals I saw for skates were at the Leaside location. The Leaside location had a few lower end models, but over half the table was top of the line skates. At the other stores only a few lower end models were available. You may find other good deals at other locations as all the Sport Cheks have clearance deals, but I know there are some great deals at the Leaside location.
41 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1954 posts
690 upvotes
Edmonton
Wonder if other sport cheks are going to have these prices

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
739 posts
312 upvotes
All the Sport Cheks will have some clearance deals, but not all the Sport Cheks carry the high end top of the line models. It's worth checking/calling your local stores though.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1884 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Gonna check it out at lunch. Could also use a new twig.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2010
1028 posts
314 upvotes
Edmonton
Wow. I have the Bauer One.9 black skates. I got them for $340 a while back which was a steal for how high performance they are. These are overkill if you are not going to use them for hockey. Fantastic for blocking shots, the padding and shell is top notch.

The white ones at $209 are an UNBELIEVABLE price. The real downside is they are suuuuuuper ugly with the white and grey look. They most likely won't match your team's colours, unless you wear white or grey. You will likely look like a fool wearing them :P

[IMG]http://cdn.sportrebel.pl/photos/lyzwy-h ... _0x650.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
739 posts
312 upvotes
Yes, the price is right on the One.9 LE skates, but the colour scheme certainly isn't for everyone. It's a high end skate at a low end price. I ref a lot of hockey so definitely couldn't wear those - they weren't the best fit for me anyway.

I'm very happy with the Easton Mako's I picked up. They're based on speed skate technology and don't have a separate outsole. They have a zero negative space concept and you definitely have to completely undo the top two eyelets to get your foot in our out. They can feel quite tight before baking, but mold very nicely after the recommended 10 minute bake time - the whole skate forms to your foot.

http://eastonhockey.com/videos/mako-skate-fitting/

I've reffed a handful of games in them and they're comfortable, responsive and have no hot spots. Some people have experienced ankle irritation (based on what I read on hockey messageboards) with the Makos, but this hasn't been a problem for me - people solved this by wearing things like these: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/EZeeFit_ ... -EZUT.html

There's no best skate though - the best skate is the one that fits your foot best. Each skate has a different last and some are more responsive to heat than others. Your best bet is to try on each model in a few sizes and when you have it narrowed down, walk around in them for a while. There should be no severe hot spots, your longest toe should just feather the front of the toe cap and you want to avoid heel lift.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1331 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
althoma1 wrote: Yes, the price is right on the One.9 LE skates, but the colour scheme certainly isn't for anyone. It's a high end skate at a low end price. I ref a lot of hockey so definitely couldn't wear those - they weren't the best fit for me anyway.

I'm very happy with the Easton Mako's I picked up. They're based on speed skate technology and don't have a separate outsole. They have a zero negative space concept and you definitely have to completely undo the top two eyelets to get your foot in our out. They can feel quite tight before baking, but mold very nicely after the recommended 10 minute bake time - the whole skate forms to your foot.

http://eastonhockey.com/videos/mako-skate-fitting/

I've reffed a handful of games in them and they're comfortable, responsive and have no hot spots. Some people have experienced ankle irritation (based on what I read on hockey messageboards) with the Makos, but this hasn't been a problem for me - people solved this by wearing things like these: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/EZeeFit_ ... -EZUT.html

There's no best skate though - the best skate is the one that fits your foot best. Each skate has a different last and some are more responsive to heat than others. Your best bet is to try on each model in a few sizes and when you have it narrowed down, walk around in them for a while. There should be no severe hot spots, your longest toe should just feather the front of the toe cap and you want to avoid heel lift.
I own the one.9. I have super small feet and got the junior size for $250 when they came out. Amazing skate. Adult was double the price...

Probably airbrush or sharpie the LE but the white is gonna be chirpable material
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
739 posts
312 upvotes
goonx126 wrote: Any 6D?

Would love a pair of rbz
I saw a 6D Mako skate, but don't remember 6D in the other brands. The RBZ skates were not on the clearance table at the Sport Chek locations I went to and I didn't check the prices on the wall. I know they're on sale at Pro Hockey Life for $399. Pro Hockey Life also has the top end CCM Tacks for $399, Bauer Nexus 1000 for $399 and Bauer Supreme TotalOne NXG for $424. The Sport Chek clearance deals are a better value if you can find something in your size, but if you're dead set on the RBZ's then the Pro Hockey Life price is the cheapest one I'm aware of right now (wouldn't hurt to check the Sport Chek price though - if they're the same price you could get them cheaper with the Team Assist Coupon).

Oh, and Pro Hockey Life is also clearing out the Easton RS skate for $299, but you can get those on Hockeysupremacy.com for $199. Hockey Supremacy also has the Easton Mako skates for $299. That's still a good deal, but if you can find them for $239 at a Sport Chek in your size and stack it with a TA coupon (+Scene points and CT cash if you have a CT Options card) it's obviously even better.
Jan 12, 2006
908 posts
39 upvotes
Were there any high end junior skates? More specifically, Nexus 800?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1331 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
althoma1 wrote: I saw a 6D Mako skate, but don't remember 6D in the other brands. The RBZ skates were not on the clearance table at the Sport Chek locations I went to and I didn't check the prices on the wall. I know they're on sale at Pro Hockey Life for $399. Pro Hockey Life also has the top end CCM Tacks for $399, Bauer Nexus 1000 for $399 and Bauer Supreme TotalOne NXG for $424. The Sport Chek clearance deals are a better value if you can find something in your size, but if you're dead set on the RBZ's then the Pro Hockey Life price is the cheapest one I'm aware of right now (wouldn't hurt to check the Sport Chek price though - if they're the same price you could get them cheaper with the Team Assist Coupon).

Oh, and Pro Hockey Life is also clearing out the Easton RS skate for $299, but you can get those on Hockeysupremacy.com for $199. Hockey Supremacy also has the Easton Mako skates for $299. That's still a good deal, but if you can find them for $239 at a Sport Chek in your size and stack it with a TA coupon (+Scene points and CT cash if you have a CT Options card) it's obviously even better.
Would love to try the nexus or rbz/tacks. My current one.9 has a bit of a hot spot but bearable if I loosen it up. Want to try something a bit roomier/mouldable and size up.

I wonder if PHL price matches... eBay has the nexus for 280 USD.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
739 posts
312 upvotes
skev13 wrote: Were there any high end junior skates? More specifically, Nexus 800?
Yes, I do remember seeing Nexus 800 junior skates. I think size 5, but I'm not sure about that and they were around $150 from memory. I also saw a pair of the Makos in a size 5 for around $150 as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5405 posts
2384 upvotes
Vancouver
Its like those old Nike ones that Fedorov wore back in the day
Trav wrote: Wow. I have the Bauer One.9 black skates. I got them for $340 a while back which was a steal for how high performance they are. These are overkill if you are not going to use them for hockey. Fantastic for blocking shots, the padding and shell is top notch.

The white ones at $209 are an UNBELIEVABLE price. The real downside is they are suuuuuuper ugly with the white and grey look. They most likely won't match your team's colours, unless you wear white or grey. You will likely look like a fool wearing them :P

[IMG]http://cdn.sportrebel.pl/photos/lyzwy-h ... _0x650.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
739 posts
312 upvotes
The Leaside Sport Chek has the Nexus 1000 for $239.88 as stated in the OP (stackable with TA). They also had one or two junior sized Nexus 800 skates.

Most places that price match will only price match advertised sales and not unadvertised clearance prices like these ones. They definitely won't price match ebay.

Pro Hockey Life does have the RBZ and Tacks for $399 as indicated. Sport Chek may price match that since it is an advertised sale (or perhaps the prices are already that low or lower at Sport Chek - I did not check the price of those two skates) and then you might be able to stack the TA coupon on top to get another 20% off. YMMV
Jan 12, 2006
908 posts
39 upvotes
althoma1 wrote: Yes, I do remember seeing Nexus 800 junior skates. I think size 5, but I'm not sure about that and they were around $150 from memory. I also saw a pair of the Makos in a size 5 for around $150 as well.
Thanks, I'll have to call ahead to see if they have the Nexus 800 in 5.5EE. At $150, they're a steal to replace my worn down Nexus 800s!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1331 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
althoma1 wrote: The Leaside Sport Chek has the Nexus 1000 for $239.88 as stated in the OP (stackable with TA). They also had one or two junior sized Nexus 800 skates.

Most places that price match will only price match advertised sales and not unadvertised clearance prices like these ones. They definitely won't price match ebay.

Pro Hockey Life does have the RBZ and Tacks for $399 as indicated. Sport Chek may price match that since it is an advertised sale (or perhaps the prices are already that low or lower at Sport Chek - I did not check the price of those two skates) and then you might be able to stack the TA coupon on top to get another 20% off. YMMV
Would have picked up the nexus 1000 if they had my size. Got plenty of life in my one.9.

Someone could possibly bring a receipt to PHL.

Maybe I'll call around but the 6,7,8 sizes are usually the ones out of stock
[OP]
Dec 28, 2006
739 posts
312 upvotes
I definitely saw 7's and 8's at Leaside. The Makos I bought are 8EE. I know I saw some size 6 Mako skates, but I think the smallest Nexus 1000's were 7D.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2010
1028 posts
314 upvotes
Edmonton
Perhaps I'll swing by my local sport chek on the way home from work in hopes to find another stick (I currently use the DT1), but no sticks on their website are on sale, so I'm sure its YMMV.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1884 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Eatons has nothing. No stick sales either. Disappointing lunch time visit
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7610 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
Any that will fit me? I'm size 11 (wide) in street shoes.