• Jun 3rd, 2020 11:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1675 posts
576 upvotes
Woodbridge

[Sport Chek] Diadora Orbita Mountain Bike $207

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this because it's not a Giant or Trek but here's a deal for someone who will ride a bike once or twice a week casually.

$229.98 - 10% Email promo code = $207 + tax and free shipping.

The women's model is on sale as well. Search site for Diadora Orbita.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 3048145_01

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 3048237_04
Last edited by wheelz on May 15th, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.
81 replies
Mar 31, 2008
921 posts
618 upvotes
Airdrie
I had a hybrid diadora I picked up from sport chek for just under $200. Used it 10km daily all summer long for 3 years before I decided to upgrade. Sure they are cheap, but I never had an issue with it and I put somewhere between 3-4K km on it.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3813 posts
802 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I picked up the 2019 model when it was on sale a couple month ago, it's a decent bike. Had it tuned up by a pro and no complaints. I paid $208 tax in at the time of promo.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8775 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty amateur when it comes to biking; there's differences between men's and women's bikes?
Aug 27, 2011
19 posts
21 upvotes
Can anyone comment on fit? I am around 6"1, will this work for me?

I am a total newb, just looking for something inexpensive to cruise around on a bit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1675 posts
576 upvotes
Woodbridge
ryan63 wrote: Can anyone comment on fit? I am around 6"1, will this work for me?

I am a total newb, just looking for something inexpensive to cruise around on a bit.
Your probably a size Large. There is a size chart. The large stock comes and goes I find. That's what I was looking for.
Dec 15, 2006
837 posts
441 upvotes
Ottawa
ryan63 wrote: Can anyone comment on fit? I am around 6"1, will this work for me?

There are different sized frames. You want a L (19" along the seat post extension).
Aug 27, 2011
19 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks, looks like Large is OOS right now but I will keep an eye on it.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4772 posts
1307 upvotes
CHINAdeals wrote: Pretty amateur when it comes to biking; there's differences between men's and women's bikes?
Yes, women's bike have a downward slanted cross bar, makes it easier to step over/through the bike. Functionally they are identical, just different cross bars
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1615 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
Not getting much into details about this bike (before people calls me bike snob or whatever) - if you decide to buy this kind of bike, make sure you change your pedals. Nylon pedals are really terrible and a pair of metal ones is like 15 bucks - totally DIY-able, no tune required.
On a personal preference - If you can spare some extra cash, I'd absolutely avoid any bicycle with RevoShifts.

tpsingh1 wrote: what do you think about this https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 3048138_01

the nakamura vs the diadora?
Nakamura is considerable inferior than OP's. Steel frame, 26", some mixed brands on drivetrain ...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jun 23, 2016
241 posts
236 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
joshmxpx wrote: Yes, women's bike have a downward slanted cross bar, makes it easier to step over/through the bike. Functionally they are identical, just different cross bars
So...I'm still puzzled. If the women's style has the advantage of easier mounting or whatever, and they are literally identical in terms of structural integrity and functionality, then why not just make them all in the women's style? Is it some kind of masculinity thing?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1675 posts
576 upvotes
Woodbridge
neonic wrote: Not getting much into details about this bike (before people calls me bike snob or whatever) - if you decide to buy this kind of bike, make sure you change your pedals. Nylon pedals are really terrible and a pair of metal ones is like 15 bucks - totally DIY-able, no tune required.
On a personal preference - If you can spare some extra cash, I'd absolutely avoid any bicycle with RevoShifts.

Nakamura is considerable inferior than OP's. Steel frame, 26", some mixed brands on drivetrain ...
Do you mean like an Alloy Pedal? I see sportchek has some for $23.99
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12008 posts
362 upvotes
noxlen wrote: So...I'm still puzzled. If the women's style has the advantage of easier mounting or whatever, and they are literally identical in terms of structural integrity and functionality, then why not just make them all in the women's style? Is it some kind of masculinity thing?
Pretty much inertia at this point yes. Instead of "women's" frames, manufacturers are now calling them "step through" and they're increasingly popular, especially for e-bikes. While you can technically make that triangular geometry of the "men's" frame stronger with the same weight of materials, you can definitely make the "step through" more than strong enough for any application.