• Jun 3rd, 2020 11:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1710 posts
583 upvotes
Woodbridge

[Sport Chek] Diadora Orbita Mountain Bike $207

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this because it's not a Giant or Trek but here's a deal for someone who will ride a bike once or twice a week casually.

$229.98 - 10% Email promo code = $207 + tax and free shipping.

The women's model is on sale as well. Search site for Diadora Orbita.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 3048145_01

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 3048237_04
Last edited by wheelz on May 15th, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.
81 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1095 posts
837 upvotes
Airdrie
I had a hybrid diadora I picked up from sport chek for just under $200. Used it 10km daily all summer long for 3 years before I decided to upgrade. Sure they are cheap, but I never had an issue with it and I put somewhere between 3-4K km on it.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3884 posts
835 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I picked up the 2019 model when it was on sale a couple month ago, it's a decent bike. Had it tuned up by a pro and no complaints. I paid $208 tax in at the time of promo.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8928 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty amateur when it comes to biking; there's differences between men's and women's bikes?
Aug 27, 2011
23 posts
23 upvotes
Can anyone comment on fit? I am around 6"1, will this work for me?

I am a total newb, just looking for something inexpensive to cruise around on a bit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1710 posts
583 upvotes
Woodbridge
ryan63 wrote: Can anyone comment on fit? I am around 6"1, will this work for me?

I am a total newb, just looking for something inexpensive to cruise around on a bit.
Your probably a size Large. There is a size chart. The large stock comes and goes I find. That's what I was looking for.
Dec 15, 2006
911 posts
521 upvotes
Ottawa
ryan63 wrote: Can anyone comment on fit? I am around 6"1, will this work for me?

There are different sized frames. You want a L (19" along the seat post extension).
Aug 27, 2011
23 posts
23 upvotes
Thanks, looks like Large is OOS right now but I will keep an eye on it.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5077 posts
1657 upvotes
CHINAdeals wrote: Pretty amateur when it comes to biking; there's differences between men's and women's bikes?
Yes, women's bike have a downward slanted cross bar, makes it easier to step over/through the bike. Functionally they are identical, just different cross bars
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1931 posts
1622 upvotes
Toronto
Not getting much into details about this bike (before people calls me bike snob or whatever) - if you decide to buy this kind of bike, make sure you change your pedals. Nylon pedals are really terrible and a pair of metal ones is like 15 bucks - totally DIY-able, no tune required.
On a personal preference - If you can spare some extra cash, I'd absolutely avoid any bicycle with RevoShifts.

tpsingh1 wrote: what do you think about this https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 3048138_01

the nakamura vs the diadora?
Nakamura is considerable inferior than OP's. Steel frame, 26", some mixed brands on drivetrain ...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jun 23, 2016
317 posts
448 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
joshmxpx wrote: Yes, women's bike have a downward slanted cross bar, makes it easier to step over/through the bike. Functionally they are identical, just different cross bars
So...I'm still puzzled. If the women's style has the advantage of easier mounting or whatever, and they are literally identical in terms of structural integrity and functionality, then why not just make them all in the women's style? Is it some kind of masculinity thing?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1710 posts
583 upvotes
Woodbridge
neonic wrote: Not getting much into details about this bike (before people calls me bike snob or whatever) - if you decide to buy this kind of bike, make sure you change your pedals. Nylon pedals are really terrible and a pair of metal ones is like 15 bucks - totally DIY-able, no tune required.
On a personal preference - If you can spare some extra cash, I'd absolutely avoid any bicycle with RevoShifts.

Nakamura is considerable inferior than OP's. Steel frame, 26", some mixed brands on drivetrain ...
Do you mean like an Alloy Pedal? I see sportchek has some for $23.99
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12038 posts
417 upvotes
noxlen wrote: So...I'm still puzzled. If the women's style has the advantage of easier mounting or whatever, and they are literally identical in terms of structural integrity and functionality, then why not just make them all in the women's style? Is it some kind of masculinity thing?
Pretty much inertia at this point yes. Instead of "women's" frames, manufacturers are now calling them "step through" and they're increasingly popular, especially for e-bikes. While you can technically make that triangular geometry of the "men's" frame stronger with the same weight of materials, you can definitely make the "step through" more than strong enough for any application.
Jun 23, 2016
317 posts
448 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
The website is insufferable...it says "in stock" but can't checkout, the cart says some items in cart can't be ordered.

Firstly, why can't it be ordered if in stock? Second, why can they not identify the item in your cart that can't be ordered? Very bad form.

Edit: I had a coupon code auto filled, that appears to have been preventing checkout.

Anyways will keep an eye on it. Thanks, OP.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1931 posts
1622 upvotes
Toronto

17-19" would work, but ideally bike sizing is done based mostly on your inseam, not total height. Obviously tall people would have a higher inseam generally, but if you have longer (or shorter) than usual legs, you might benefit from a different size than those regular charts suggests.

Check these for multiple measurement types.
https://www.bicycle-guider.com/bike-art ... ize-chart/
wheelz wrote: Do you mean like an Alloy Pedal? I see sportchek has some for $23.99
Yeah, its just those nylon ones breaks fairly easily when you fall or hit something;

mec have some for ~15:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5037-623/Moss-Pedals
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6010-099/VP-527-Pedals

maybe some local bike shops will have used ones for change money, I haven't been in any in a while, but it wasn't uncommon to see "assorted items" for a fiver or less
edit: amazon have some as well, like these: https://www.amazon.ca/Wellgo-Mountain-C ... B07YCR72HP
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Dec 21, 2012
255 posts
319 upvotes
How would this compare to a hybrid bike if I am just going to use it for everyday riding.
Jul 15, 2011
35 posts
62 upvotes
Quite new to bikes. Really curious what is the difference from a such a $200 bike with other $500, $1000, and $2000+ bikes?

I mean I know more expensive ones are lighter and more durable. But at what price point strat to make a bike decent (quality, weight, durability, easy to ride) enough for daily use?

I am interested in one for recreational use at weekends, but really don't want to spend $1000+ on bikes, also don't want to buy something turns out to be a clumsy piece collecting dust in garage.
Mar 24, 2006
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
noxlen wrote: So...I'm still puzzled. If the women's style has the advantage of easier mounting or whatever, and they are literally identical in terms of structural integrity and functionality, then why not just make them all in the women's style? Is it some kind of masculinity thing?
Professional women ride the "men's" style bike due to better structural rigidity, so while it probably doesn't make much of a difference to the casual rider if it is anything it is more of a femininity thing than a masculinity thing. Either sex can obviously ride either style according to their preference.