Expired Hot Deals

[Sport Chek] Diadora Orbita Mountain Bike $207

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2020 11:24 am
Jun 23, 2016
241 posts
236 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
The website is insufferable...it says "in stock" but can't checkout, the cart says some items in cart can't be ordered.

Firstly, why can't it be ordered if in stock? Second, why can they not identify the item in your cart that can't be ordered? Very bad form.

Edit: I had a coupon code auto filled, that appears to have been preventing checkout.

Anyways will keep an eye on it. Thanks, OP.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1608 posts
1233 upvotes
Toronto
ryan63 wrote: Can anyone comment on fit? I am around 6"1, will this work for me?

I am a total newb, just looking for something inexpensive to cruise around on a bit.
17-19" would work, but ideally bike sizing is done based mostly on your inseam, not total height. Obviously tall people would have a higher inseam generally, but if you have longer (or shorter) than usual legs, you might benefit from a different size than those regular charts suggests.

Check these for multiple measurement types.
https://www.bicycle-guider.com/bike-art ... ize-chart/
wheelz wrote: Do you mean like an Alloy Pedal? I see sportchek has some for $23.99
Yeah, its just those nylon ones breaks fairly easily when you fall or hit something;

mec have some for ~15:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5037-623/Moss-Pedals
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6010-099/VP-527-Pedals

maybe some local bike shops will have used ones for change money, I haven't been in any in a while, but it wasn't uncommon to see "assorted items" for a fiver or less
edit: amazon have some as well, like these: https://www.amazon.ca/Wellgo-Mountain-C ... B07YCR72HP
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Dec 21, 2012
155 posts
71 upvotes
How would this compare to a hybrid bike if I am just going to use it for everyday riding.
Jul 15, 2011
13 posts
43 upvotes
Quite new to bikes. Really curious what is the difference from a such a $200 bike with other $500, $1000, and $2000+ bikes?

I mean I know more expensive ones are lighter and more durable. But at what price point strat to make a bike decent (quality, weight, durability, easy to ride) enough for daily use?

I am interested in one for recreational use at weekends, but really don't want to spend $1000+ on bikes, also don't want to buy something turns out to be a clumsy piece collecting dust in garage.
Mar 24, 2006
40 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
noxlen wrote: So...I'm still puzzled. If the women's style has the advantage of easier mounting or whatever, and they are literally identical in terms of structural integrity and functionality, then why not just make them all in the women's style? Is it some kind of masculinity thing?
Professional women ride the "men's" style bike due to better structural rigidity, so while it probably doesn't make much of a difference to the casual rider if it is anything it is more of a femininity thing than a masculinity thing. Either sex can obviously ride either style according to their preference.
Dec 2, 2009
251 posts
281 upvotes
eliteqing wrote: Quite new to bikes. Really curious what is the difference from a such a $200 bike with other $500, $1000, and $2000+ bikes?

I mean I know more expensive ones are lighter and more durable. But at what price point strat to make a bike decent (quality, weight, durability, easy to ride) enough for daily use?

I am interested in one for recreational use at weekends, but really don't want to spend $1000+ on bikes, also don't want to buy something turns out to be a clumsy piece collecting dust in garage.
This bike is perfectly fine for the use you're expecting out of it. Casual weekend riding.

You're going to see people in here shitting on any bike that isn't carbon frame with hydraulic disc brakes and bla bla bla. Just ignore them; I almost feel like some of them come into these threads just to subtle brag about their expensive bikes.

As long as its maintained a bike like this will last you and be good for casual riding. You really can't get much when you're spending $200 on a bike but the next step up is at least double that amount.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1149 posts
312 upvotes
noxlen wrote: So...I'm still puzzled. If the women's style has the advantage of easier mounting or whatever, and they are literally identical in terms of structural integrity and functionality, then why not just make them all in the women's style? Is it some kind of masculinity thing?
It's so you can wear a dress while riding. Something that carried through in design for girls bikes when it was more likely a girl would be wearing a dress while riding a bike.
Mar 6, 2017
5 posts
5 upvotes
Just an FYI to anyone buying this. It may say "mountain bike", but it would be quite dangerous to actually take this thing on any mountain bike trail.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1608 posts
1233 upvotes
Toronto
Shutdown wrote: How would this compare to a hybrid bike if I am just going to use it for everyday riding.
a hybrid, or sometimes called city bicycle is actually the best thing to be used on for everyday ride.

A mountain bike is too "buffed" for riding on the streets, the tires are too fat and heavy. Imagine going for a jog on Timberland boots.
A road bicycle, is in the other end, rather too "lean", the riding position is too aggressive for the everyday riding. Tires are slim and slick, so not as comfortable to most people.

A hydrid normally will have an agile geometry (not focusing on impact like a MTB), but comfier handle bars, and a bit fatter tires (normal road bikes uses 23mm wide tires, while hybrids will go 35-40mm) and a bit more treading on them, so they grip better.

eliteqing wrote: Quite new to bikes. Really curious what is the difference from a such a $200 bike with other $500, $1000, and $2000+ bikes?

Weight and precision are the major differences. Durability is not always the case (some higher end products actually tend to not last as long, as they shave off so much weight, they become a bit more fragile)

Basically in bicycles, I think you could 'split' in 4 main "part groups":

Frame set: Frame, Fork, headset
Drivetrain: Derailleurs, shifters, brakes, cranks, cogs
Wheelset: rims, spokes, hubs
Other "smaller"stuff: Cockpit (handlebar, stem), saddle, seatpost, pedals

From the top of my head, may not be accurate, but might have an idea:

On very budget bikes (0-200), you'll gonna see cheaper parts all around. Frame and forks made of steel (super heavy, very stiff), very suboptimal drivetrain (almost "toy grade" stuff) and steel parts all overall.
The main issues are: Super heavy (remember, you're the engine pushing this machine over. so weight means a lot), Most of moving parts aren't very precise or will go off tune fairly easy.

on 200-500 bikes, you may start to see aluminium alloy parts here and there, and some entry level drivetrain.

on 500-1000 better frame set, normally designed by some brand to have benefits here and there (like geometry wise). on road bikes you may start to see carbon fibre forks. on MTB you'll likely see decent brands suspension forks starting here. Quick lock and stuff.
Some mid tier drive train, which will hold very well.

on 1000-2000 maybe if you're lucky you can find a carbon fibre frame, but aluminium here is still common and very decent ones, some higher level drive train. you'll start to see some aftermarket wheelset, which will roll better, and weight less. On MTB, you'll start to see entry level read suspension.

on 2000-5000 likely all carbon frame, fork, cockpit, some decent-high level drivetrain - all parts are well thought off, not just per part group level, so we're talking like even small details.

on 5K-10k the above, +really pro style frameset carbon everywhere on the "smaller stuff", some "entry" pro level wheel set - probably some electronic high level derailleurs and stuff.

on 10K-30K bikes here will be weighting like less than 5kg. Think of some tour de France bicycles. every single part is engineered for performance. companies will be studying screw materials to shave off grams. Aerodynamics in wind tunnels maybe; best possible precision on change gears, or braking, at the minimum possible weight.

on 30K+ weird stuff with gold and diamonds
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
172 posts
200 upvotes
Are sportschek stores opening to be able to walk in and buy stuff/return stuff on Tuesday?
May 12, 2020
6 posts
my buddy is telling me that is an entry level bike with little in house components. He says that to get something decent you need to spend at least $800 and highly advises to stick with the Norco brand.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4920 posts
501 upvotes
Victoria
Well it's shimano tourney drivetrain which is the lowest level but it's not like they're some knockoff garbage. Cheap stuff but also cheap to fix. It probably shifts really badly but for the price who cares.
Not a political sig
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
172 posts
200 upvotes
mvjjjjj wrote: my buddy is telling me that is an entry level bike with little in house components. He says that to get something decent you need to spend at least $800 and highly advises to stick with the Norco brand.
nah, the Northrocks at Costco for $399 have components that are the same or comparable to $600-$800 GT/Trek/Giant Bikes. The Northrock is also assembled by Giant (and uses their frame)....

No need to spend $800 for a "decent" bike.
Jan 24, 2016
68 posts
45 upvotes
Lavafinder24 wrote: nah, the Northrocks at Costco for $399 have components that are the same or comparable to $600-$800 GT/Trek/Giant Bikes. The Northrock is also assembled by Giant (and uses their frame)....

No need to spend $800 for a "decent" bike.
Does costco still carry this Northrocks? Ive been waiting for them to restock but no luck.
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
172 posts
200 upvotes
keyskiee09 wrote: Does costco still carry this Northrocks? Ive been waiting for them to restock but no luck.
Depends which model..I think the Northrock Road bikes are sold out everywhere (and online)..

The Northrock CTM (the hybrid), are also sold out online for over a month now (priced at $429 online). I did see about 10 Northrock CMT's at the Dixie/Dundas location earlier this week and I assume they are still there. They are priced at $399 in store. I did not see the mountain bikes there, just the hybrid.