Scarborough, ON
not my style really, but still thumbs up OP. good deal is good deal
Let's get rich together on RFD. Stay positive, stay frugal. 😃
[OP]
Mar 27, 2016
451 posts
406 upvotes
Vancouver
chapters0 wrote: any additional off coupon codes?

Rakuten has 1% cashback.
Jan 11, 2009
697 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
Am I missing something here.... This looks like a kids lunch bag. I don't see any straps to even put it on your back.... And even it they existed it would look and feel uncomfortable. I get the high price for osprey etc as they have great ergonomics but what exactly are you paying for here.... Name? Which I can't prononounce and a recycled bag?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1084 posts
2349 upvotes
lel
I am also interested. Asking as neutrally as possible. Is the deal on this the fact that it is simply discounted from full price? Is the quality worth the money as well or just brand ?
Virgin $30 for $15 GB
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
[OP]
Mar 27, 2016
451 posts
406 upvotes
Vancouver
Pingalino wrote: I am also interested. Asking as neutrally as possible. Is the deal on this the fact that it is simply discounted from full price? Is the quality worth the money as well or just brand ?
For myself, I like the fact that they try to be sustainable with their products in terms of materials. I also like their selection of colours and styles. Not everyone will like their products, but for people that do, this could be a deal for them.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2010 posts
1330 upvotes
xseanx wrote: Am I missing something here.... This looks like a kids lunch bag. I don't see any straps to even put it on your back.... And even it they existed it would look and feel uncomfortable. I get the high price for osprey etc as they have great ergonomics but what exactly are you paying for here.... Name? Which I can't prononounce and a recycled bag?
It is a small, 16L backpack. For some people, this is the size of a lunch bag. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Here's a link to the official website if you want to see other product pics.
Mar 10, 2006
254 posts
259 upvotes
Calgary
xseanx wrote: Am I missing something here.... This looks like a kids lunch bag. I don't see any straps to even put it on your back.... And even it they existed it would look and feel uncomfortable. I get the high price for osprey etc as they have great ergonomics but what exactly are you paying for here.... Name? Which I can't prononounce and a recycled bag?
IIRC these Kanken bags are (or were?) very fashionable and tons of girls/ young women used them as school bags or whatever.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2016
451 posts
406 upvotes
Vancouver
chapters0 wrote: ah ya they are smaller than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was the regular size one. Glad I didnt order lol
This is the regular size, even tho it's only 16L! The mini is 7L.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1528 posts
1379 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
You're literally just paying for a name at this point. Fjallraven makes some good gear, but this is just an overpriced item living off its history.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17801 posts
10338 upvotes
Ottawa
OutsideYourWorld wrote: You're literally just paying for a name at this point. Fjallraven makes some good gear, but this is just an overpriced item living off its history.
The history is fascinating, it was developed as a kids backpack to help solve backache problems, and because it became prevalent, it's basically iconic now, and the simplicity and retro design now makes it fashionable to have.

But yeah, I can't think of a less functional backpack. It's basically a rectangular shaped canvas bag with thin shoulder straps. The main comfort feature is a foam pad in the backside that you can remove and use as a seat cushion. So high tech....

I bought one of their other backpacks and lugged it everywhere and it was a good backpack that I can recommend, but this one is a fashion accessory, and if you think of it that way, the price is justified

OP still gets an upvote because technically it's a good deal for a Kanken
Apr 10, 2011
872 posts
807 upvotes
trixR4kids wrote: Sign up for their newsletter and get 15% off: https://www.sportchek.ca/sign-up.html
Should work on clearance also (worked for me before).
Doesn’t work on fjallraven, unfortunately :(

“ Excludes items already marked down, marquee footwear ending in $.00, Apple, BAUER Elite/Performance, Birkenstock, Brooks, CCM Elite, Fitbit, Garmin, GoPro, Yeti, GT, ON, Osprey, Tacx, Tentree, Thule, Titleist, Fjallraven, Footjoy, select Nike, Converse and other select brands & styles.”
Apr 10, 2011
872 posts
807 upvotes
Thanks, OP. Got blue for my son and pink for my daughter.

I figure you’re going to pay $30-40 for a decent knapsack anyway (Parkland, MEC, pottery barn kids, Herschel, etc). Might as well pay the extra $20 for fjallraven. I hear they have a good warrant policy. My son already has a parkland that I have no complaints about but I couldn’t resist this deal. Will keep the parkland as a back up or just re-sell on Kijiji or Facebook marketplace.