Expired Hot Deals

[Sport Chek] Garmin Forerunner 245 GPS Music Running Watch $350

[OP]
Oct 27, 2008
57 posts
85 upvotes
Halifax

[Sport Chek] Garmin Forerunner 245 GPS Music Running Watch $350

Last edited by FrankHare on Aug 8th, 2019 9:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
61 replies
Jun 17, 2003
632 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP! I’m excited about this watch and this seems like a good deal.

Anyone know how easy it is to use multiple gift cards towards a purchase on the Sport Chek website?
Jan 31, 2008
646 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovedeals wrote: Thanks OP! I’m excited about this watch and this seems like a good deal.

Anyone know how easy it is to use multiple gift cards towards a purchase on the Sport Chek website?
You're only allowed to use one GC, but You can get a CSR to combine the balance into a single GC. I think you have to call in for that.
Aug 30, 2015
826 posts
568 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
this one has offline music and fenix doesn't

does the fenix have any advantage over this one if the only exercise I'm planning to do is running, biking and lifting?
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1258 upvotes
pca1987 wrote: this one has offline music and fenix doesn't

does the fenix have any advantage over this one if the only exercise I'm planning to do is running, biking and lifting?
The Fenix tracks altitude, has maps and navigation. With this said, I don't really use those features so am thinking of picking this one up.

Imo, this seems to be cleaner looking and has more advanced sleep and stress tracking/monitoring. I also like the looks of this one over the white Fenix 5s which I returned to Costco.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1105 posts
619 upvotes
Depends on what you are looking for, but the Vivoactive 3 Music is ~ $250 with Good life discount from Garmin directly

245 supports more advanced running stats, but if one doesn't need the advanced stats then the VA3 Music is equally good and cheaper imo
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1258 upvotes
Ordered, thanks OP.

Let me go through the logistics first in case any of you are still interested. Bought the 4 $100 Canadian Tire Gift Cards playing $340 ($60 off). Called in to CT customer service but was told that I would have to consolidate the GCs in-store. So I went to SportChek, consolidated the 4 cards into 1 and placed the order right there with them to be shipped to my home address. Easy peasy, total was $395.50 so I paid about $335 taxes in, factoring in the GCs of course.

This is a good deal imo, considering that this is a fairly new watch, just came out a few months ago much newer than the Fenix 5 (2017) or the Vivo Active 3 (2018).

Below is my favourite YouTube review on the watch, has a lot of cool features that I will use; advanced sleep tracking, V02 max, SP02 Blood/Oxygen monitoring using PulseOS, Body Battery feature (energy management), advanced running metrics, storage for offline music or Spotify syncing.

Mar 30, 2007
369 posts
454 upvotes
This is a good deal! Eyeing this watch for a while for a wholesome tracking. The only thing i wish it has was a barometer but nobody dies without it.
Huge discount IMO. Gonna visit a canadian tire this weekend to try my luck!
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1258 upvotes
swordman2000 wrote: This is a good deal! Eyeing this watch for a while for a wholesome tracking. The only thing i wish it has was a barometer but nobody dies without it.
Huge discount IMO. Gonna visit a canadian tire this weekend to try my luck!
True about the lack of altimeter barometer which is not a big deal for me. Just make sure that the watch is still in-stock online before you purchase the Sportchek gift cards from CT, since they're not refundable.
Jan 12, 2017
90 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I bought this watch last month instore and it was the same price. I think only recently (like this week), the watch is for sale through the sportchek.ca website. This is probably one of the better deals outside of 50x Triangle Rewards (20% back in rewards) as Garmin is one of the brands that is typically excluded from store sales/coupons.
Feb 5, 2017
20 posts
8 upvotes
If you're using a cycling power meter the fenix can link to it. A big deal if you are a serious rider. It also has the ability to create multisport custom workouts. A nice feature for triathletes. There's some other tiny things as well. If you're just running, the 245 is a great choice.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3774 posts
2776 upvotes
Toronto
number17 wrote: Depends on what you are looking for, but the Vivoactive 3 Music is ~ $250 with Good life discount from Garmin directly

245 supports more advanced running stats, but if one doesn't need the advanced stats then the VA3 Music is equally good and cheaper imo
Damn thats good to know about the Good Life membership!
Penalty Box
Jan 14, 2017
712 posts
399 upvotes
Thank's OP. No problem if you have a Canadian Tire and SportChek nearby like I do. All done in 10 minutes.

I'm not sure if Triangle rewards works on gift cards but I entered it anyway.
Last edited by dealisdead on Aug 8th, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1557 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver
if you buy the $400 SC cards, is that a better deal? 15% means you pay $340 outright?
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1258 upvotes
pentexplorer wrote: if you buy the $400 SC cards, is that a better deal? 15% means you pay $340 outright?
Yes, pretty much. The total came to $395.50 so you're left with $4.50 on the GC, meaning that you paid exactly $335.50 for the watch outright. On top of that the clerk at SC applied the purchase to a new CT rewards card which I didn't have before, so I gained some points on that as well.

Here are a couple of YT comparisons between the 245 and the Vivoactive 3.

Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1258 upvotes
dealisdead wrote: Thank's OP. No problem if you have a Canadian Tire and SportChek nearby like I do. All done in 10 minutes.

I'm not sure if Triangle rewards works on gift cards but I entered it anyway.
Nice. I think it should work because the sale clerk that ordered the watch for me applied it to a new Triangle Rewards card for me as stated in the previous post.

Can't wait to use these new nifty features :) I had previous bought the Fenix 5s from Costco but was a bit disappointed with it so returned it, I think this watch here has all the bells and whistles that I need.

Imo, smartwatch technology progresses so fast that you don't want to buy a watch that is too far behind the times, even 1 year makes a huge difference. My original intention was to wait for the Galaxy Active 2 which is rumored to have EKG monitoring for irregular heart beats but I'm not sure if that technology has been federally regulated in the U.S. to give it the go ahead. It would likely be released at $550+ Cdn., so I think this watch here meets most of my requirements while staying current and without breaking the bank.

Keep in mind that this watch is only a couple of months old, just released in June 2019, how often do you get a huge discount off a relatively newly released item? I know I've been promoting this watch throughout the thread but I'm adamant that it's the best deal over the Fenix 5s and Vivoactive 3, even at their best prices. The features of this watch clearly outshine the others imo, minus the altimeter barometer.
Last edited by HN12345 on Aug 8th, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.