[Sport Chek] Garmin Forerunner 645 Music GPS Running Watch - $289 + tax

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2020 9:19 am
[OP]
May 6, 2020
46 posts
360 upvotes

[Sport Chek] Garmin Forerunner 645 Music GPS Running Watch - $289 + tax

Sport Chek has the Garmin 645 on sale for $289. The watch has gone this low once before on Amazon, but usually hovers around the high 300s.

Great watch for runners, but not as good as the Vivoactive 4 if you're looking for other features like golf. Main thing to note is that this watch does not have a touchscreen, but rather 5 buttons which is meant to provide easier access while exercising. Below are the specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Display size: 1.2" (30.4 mm) diameter
Display resolution: 240 x 240 pixels
GPS: Yes
Weight: 42.2 g
Display type: sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)
Battery life: Smartwatch Mode: Up to 7 days, GPS mode with music: Up to 5 hours

In case anyone was wondering, no it does not stack with the 10% off email coupon. Don't forget 1% cashback with Rakuten.
15 replies
Nov 13, 2018
592 posts
1371 upvotes
Good find OP. I'd be all over this if I didn't have a 245M.

Garmin also bought out Firstbeat which is the Scandinavian company that licenses all the awesome physiological stats, so I expect/hope most users will get more features this coming year.
Sep 1, 2019
14 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP! I was thinking of replacing my old 210! I almost got the 45 on sale since black Friday, but I finally pulled the trigger on this one!

Also used $100 gift card from Moola with a free $15
Dec 17, 2018
260 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm on the fence about buying this for my spouse. This watch is a couple of years old, apparently buggy and from what I hear, Garmin has largely stopped pushing fixes to it. I am struggling to consider paying $300 for a watch with that report card.
Sep 29, 2013
400 posts
234 upvotes
Great price. Would have bought this one if I didnt score a used vivoactive 3 music for 100$. Im on 3 generations of the vivoactive. The bugs, whatever they are, are very small. These watches are awesome and the fact that their screens are visible in direct sunlight is huge.
Dec 1, 2016
104 posts
97 upvotes
snazarella wrote: I'm on the fence about buying this for my spouse. This watch is a couple of years old, apparently buggy and from what I hear, Garmin has largely stopped pushing fixes to it. I am struggling to consider paying $300 for a watch with that report card.
I've owned this watch since the spring. Just got version 7.0 of the firmware pushed to it this week. I haven't noticed any significant bugs. The lack of Garmin pay in Canada means that one of the main selling features just doesnt work here. Feature wise it's also clear that this watch is end of life so don't get it if you're expecting new significant feature updates. It did help me legitimately improve my running this year in a huge way I don't think I would have been able to on my own.

If you want things like visual examples of exercises, and oxygen sensor, I'd say get a newer Garmin. Its great though if you want to run, swim, and bike with some software coaching and you like leaving your phone at home. I only wish it had audiobook syncing tho. For what it's worth the exercise analytics are great and actually helped me improve a lot without getting any injuries.

This really is targeted for sports though, don't get it if you just want a smartwatch with some health features, there's better and cheaper choices.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1088 posts
610 upvotes
If you are primarily a runner, then Forerunnre (645 or 245) will be good for you.

The vivoactive 4 is a better watch for others who do a mix of exercises imo.

I have been a big fan of Garmin, 'upgraded' my VA3HR to Garmin instinct recently and have been very happy with the watch. Of course, 2 weeks after I upgraded, Garmin VA4, Forerunner 645 etc all went on sale at Amazon Prime days. :( .... anyways, I'm still happy with my Instinct and would recommend the Garmin ecosystem to anyone who's serious or semi-serious about tracking their activities.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
3226 posts
259 upvotes
None of the stores have any stock. deal is OOS
May 11, 2007
989 posts
731 upvotes
Kitchener
how would this compare with Galaxy 3? I have owned vivoactive 3 and really liked it.
Sep 29, 2013
400 posts
234 upvotes
caraj4u wrote: how would this compare with Galaxy 3? I have owned vivoactive 3 and really liked it.
These watches have too many features to compare. To me it boils down to screen and battery life. Unless they have changed, an LED screen is absolutely useless for biking or running if you are wearing sunglasses. Having to crank up the brightness will drain your battery super fast.
May 14, 2012
382 posts
74 upvotes
PICKERING
Big thanks to the OP for posting this. Was hoping to find one on sale for Boxing day, but this sale is great (albeit on an older model). Especially timely as my Fitbit Charge is slowly losing its grip on the band and I wasn't sure it was going to hold out until Christmas.

Excited to hear this is good for running...and happy that it links to the Adidas running app since that's what I use to track my runs.
Dec 17, 2018
260 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
Raddo wrote: None of the stores have any stock. deal is OOS
Still available to ship to home with free shipping from what I can see.
Dec 17, 2018
260 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
dudeexcellent wrote: Big thanks to the OP for posting this. Was hoping to find one on sale for Boxing day, but this sale is great (albeit on an older model). Especially timely as my Fitbit Charge is slowly losing its grip on the band and I wasn't sure it was going to hold out until Christmas.

Excited to hear this is good for running...and happy that it links to the Adidas running app since that's what I use to track my runs.
The Vivoactive 4 and 4s are currently $299 at a few stores, might be worth a look as well. I am currently torn between the two (have ordered both and will decide later)
Aug 20, 2006
105 posts
22 upvotes
Picked up the 645 music on black friday, it's a decent watch so far, as others have stated, it's not a fully functional smart watch, I bike so I always carry my phone with me anyway. I use it mainly for fitness/health tracking.

Haven't tried Garmin pay (someone above said it doesn't work in Canada?), music streaming is fine, desktop PC software is a bit slow, but it works. I had some issues with BT connectivity initially but have since gone away (without sw update).

It's a watch first and foremost, and not very intrusive in terms of it's notifications.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2157 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
snazarella wrote: The Vivoactive 4 and 4s are currently $299 at a few stores, might be worth a look as well. I am currently torn between the two (have ordered both and will decide later)
Just be aware that Sportchek may not accept returns on an opened box Garmin. They don’t with Apple watches.
Dec 17, 2018
260 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
blindemboss wrote: Just be aware that Sportchek may not accept returns on an opened box Garmin. They don’t with Apple watches.
That is a solid point, thank you. I'll ask the gift receiver (my spouse) to look but not touch until he decides fully! The VA4 wont arrive before December 25 anyhow, so he will be making choices based on the internet :)