Expired Hot Deals

Sport Chek

Marmot Catalyst 3 Person Tent with Footprint ($199.98)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 4:20 pm
52 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
1351 posts
1061 upvotes
Pretty much OOS everywhere in GTA, except Sherway Garden? Good luck I guess.

BTW what's footprint?
RFD: Pick any two.
  • In stock
  • Low Price
  • Quality Product
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 8, 2007
35 posts
41 upvotes
Victoria
Idlehands wrote: Pretty much OOS everywhere in GTA, except Sherway Garden? Good luck I guess.

BTW what's footprint?
It’s in stock online with free shipping if there aren’t any in stock close by.

A footprint is basically a tarp that goes underneath the tent to protect the tent floor. It’s cheaper and easier to replace a worn out footprint than it is the bottom of the tent.
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2006
623 posts
664 upvotes
Used 10% off. Was looking at Big Agnes tents, but too pricey, especially when I do very limited camping for few days.

Thanks OP
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 24, 2015
505 posts
1816 upvotes
AB
Good price. FYI this would be a tight fit for three people and backpacks but would fit two people comfortably.
Member
Nov 13, 2019
241 posts
414 upvotes
puglife644 wrote: Good price. FYI this would be a tight fit for three people and backpacks but would fit two people comfortably.

Yeah it's only 65" wide, that's less than 2ft per person edge to edge. Definitely not a comfortable way to sleep 3 people. My 2-person tent is 4'7" wide and is perfect for me and my gf. I can't imagine wanting another person in the tent with only 1ft (less, actually) of extra room.

This is a spacious two, or two plus a baby/dog.

Either way it's a good deal
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 8, 2007
35 posts
41 upvotes
Victoria
bigtuna99 wrote: Yeah it's only 65" wide, that's less than 2ft per person edge to edge. Definitely not a comfortable way to sleep 3 people. My 2-person tent is 4'7" wide and is perfect for me and my gf. I can't imagine wanting another person in the tent with only 1ft (less, actually) of extra room.

This is a spacious two, or two plus a baby/dog.

Either way it's a good deal
That was my conclusion as well. I don’t know if I’d get it as a “3 person” but if you look at it as a spacious “2 person” the price is hard to beat!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
3668 posts
4981 upvotes
Oakville
taylur wrote: Decent looking 3 person tent, comes with footprint as well. 10% off sign up code works also!
I bought the three person and two person tents at MEC for $250 (which is slightly lower weight thank this marmot) just a few months ago, and they've been fantastic. Quick to put up and take down. Vents, etc. The footprint was $16.
Just putting this out there as a data point. I love Marmot, MSR, OR, stuff...but the deal posted here is a decent sale but nothing to ring the sirens. It's better to buy a tent with the features you need.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-362/ ... erson-Tent
Last edited by zdpz on Jul 2nd, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jr. Member
Jan 13, 2006
117 posts
49 upvotes
Markham
GarryD314898 wrote: MEC tent $519 now!!
Yeah, I was looking at the Spark, but it was $519. That's too much. Of course I ended up buying the MSR Elixir 3 person tent for just under $400. Tents are hard to find now online and I'm going camping in a few weeks so I had to get what was available.
Member
May 30, 2015
350 posts
323 upvotes
I own one of these tents, barely can fit one person I am 6’1 and 195 pounds. However decent tent for the money when it’s on sale. I use it all the time when camping and it’s great for one person.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
3668 posts
4981 upvotes
Oakville
FriendlyUnit wrote: I own one of these tents, barely can fit one person I am 6’1 and 195 pounds. However decent tent for the money when it’s on sale. I use it all the time when camping and it’s great for one person.
Being tall gets you hot babes, basketball fandom, uninterrupted views of shows and concerts, the ability to reach for the stars....so you don't fit in a tent You've done alright mate!
-ZdpZ... ;)
Member
Apr 27, 2011
393 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
recommendations on a better tent that can fit two 2.5 foot wide sleeping pads with ample room? Would I be looking for a 4 person tent?
Newbie
May 23, 2020
99 posts
77 upvotes
Really good find. Solid reviews too. Don't forget GCR 2.5% back.
EQ Bank, Amex Simply Cash, Tangerine, Zoomer
Jr. Member
Mar 30, 2010
198 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
I got the 2 person Catalyst (which is basically a solo tent) last year and I love it so far! Will be using it again in Algonquin Park this weekend! :D

It's very lightweight and the poles collapse quite small, so it can easily be stuffed into a pack if backpacking or portaging. Pretty good bang for your buck for a lightweight tent, any lighter/smaller and you're into "ultralight" territory which comes with a price hike.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2008
1901 posts
1765 upvotes
taylur wrote: That was my conclusion as well. I don’t know if I’d get it as a “3 person” but if you look at it as a spacious “2 person” the price is hard to beat!
Depends on who the three people are :)

I usually find I need +1 space in the tent anyway. Unless I'm solo I want a 3 person for my wife and I.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 22, 2020
118 posts
223 upvotes
Calgary
cvrle1 wrote: Used 10% off. Was looking at Big Agnes tents, but too pricey, especially when I do very limited camping for few days.

Thanks OP
What code did you use to get 10% off?
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2013
180 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pakito98 wrote: recommendations on a better tent that can fit two 2.5 foot wide sleeping pads with ample room? Would I be looking for a 4 person tent?
it depends on your budget and type of camping, but if it's for general camping and you have some extra cash, i would highly recommend the MSR Elixir 3.
it's actually a good size for two people, but a tight squeeze for three. also has a decent size vestibule, so you don't have to bring bags and shoes into the tent.
if setup properly, you'll stay bone dry in a fierce storm. comes with its own footprint too, which is nice.
made of high quality parts and msr also has amazing customer service, if you ever run into issues with your gear (hence, the premium price).
Member
Jul 22, 2009
424 posts
411 upvotes
Oakville
Based on the reviews, one should buy 8 more stakes if weather is expected on a trip. Would need extra stakes to properly guy out.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)