Hot Deals

[Sport Chek] Marmot Catalyst 3 tent with footprint. ($179.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 6:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2810 posts
639 upvotes
Mississauga

[Sport Chek] Marmot Catalyst 3 tent with footprint. ($179.99)

Great tent for general backpacking and camping. Not a true backpacking due to weight and size (stick to 2 person max for those) but this is roomy, sturdy and has great ventilation. Also not bad for weight at ~2.5kg
On sale for $199 but with the Friends & Family coupon (FF19MAY) brings it down to $179. Dont forget ebates (2%).
Last edited by cRaZyRaVr on May 16th, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
23 replies
Nov 11, 2011
187 posts
114 upvotes
Quebec
What is FF to bring it down to $180??

NVM code is FF19MAY for another 10% off
Last edited by kira1337 on May 16th, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1012 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
kira1337 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 12:41 pm
Link isn't working for me, but should be Friends & Family coupon (FF19MAY)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Apr 10, 2019
4 posts
5 upvotes
kira1337 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 12:41 pm
Friends and Family promo.
Feb 17, 2009
223 posts
141 upvotes
I was contemplating buying this when it went on sale at Atmosphere for $200. But with another $20 off, I decided to pull the trigger. Thanks OP!
Mar 11, 2014
5 posts
Toronto
It's a great tent I've had it for about 2 years now. Quick set up and great view if it's not raining and you can go without the fly.
Jun 7, 2008
117 posts
20 upvotes
Oakville
Great deal thanks! As others have mentioned the link didn't work but copying the name and pasting it for search tracks it down easy enough.
Sep 14, 2009
343 posts
79 upvotes
Vancouver
Have now spent several hours trying to compare this tent with Marmot's Tungsten and Limelight ones, and am just as lost as when I started if the other two are worth the extra cost.
May 22, 2015
625 posts
792 upvotes
Vancouver
cardero wrote:
May 19th, 2019 2:20 pm
Have now spent several hours trying to compare this tent with Marmot's Tungsten and Limelight ones, and am just as lost as when I started if the other two are worth the extra cost.
It's all to do with pack weight. People will gladly pay $100 to cut 2 lb. off their load. A 3 person tent isn't a backpacking tent though, this is a car camping tent.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3970 posts
905 upvotes
Vancouver
cardero wrote:
May 19th, 2019 2:20 pm
I haven't done that much reading into them but you should consider that the Tungsten and Limelight have pre-bent poles which widen up the floorspace quite dramatically.
mikebc wrote:
May 20th, 2019 1:22 am
It's all to do with pack weight. People will gladly pay $100 to cut 2 lb. off their load. A 3 person tent isn't a backpacking tent though, this is a car camping tent.
I hate when people say this like it's a statement of fact. Not everyone has the cash to buy the latest and greatest and lightest tents. Any tent can be a backpacking tent (yes, even those massive Coleman 10 person tents). You just have to ask yourself: "Is this practical?" (So no 10 person tents, usually) "If yes, can the weight be reasonably carried by one person or balanced between several people?" "If no, can I afford something lighter?" If the answer to that final question is no, you live with what you have or you borrow a lighter one.

A 3P tent like this one is more than reasonable to bring on a backpacking trip. I backpack with my own 2P tent that comes in at just over 4lbs and I've hiked many KMs over many days with it and survived. I can also squeeze in a SO or another friend who doesn't own a tent and share the weight. If you split the weight of a 3P tent with someone else, you're carrying less weight than I do when I carry my own tent solo. I appreciate that there's lightweight and UL purists out there, but for the average joe, a pound or 2 really doesn't matter.
Removed external link in signature.
Oct 15, 2013
690 posts
1205 upvotes
lhsonic wrote:
May 20th, 2019 3:41 am

I hate when people say this like it's a statement of fact. Not everyone has the cash to buy the latest and greatest and lightest tents. Any tent can be a backpacking tent (yes, even those massive Coleman 10 person tents). You just have to ask yourself: "Is this practical?" (So no 10 person tents, usually) "If yes, can the weight be reasonably carried by one person or balanced between several people?" "If no, can I afford something lighter?" If the answer to that final question is no, you live with what you have or you borrow a lighter one.

A 3P tent like this one is more than reasonable to bring on a backpacking trip. I backpack with my own 2P tent that comes in at just over 4lbs and I've hiked many KMs over many days with it and survived. I can also squeeze in a SO or another friend who doesn't own a tent and share the weight. If you split the weight of a 3P tent with someone else, you're carrying less weight than I do when I carry my own tent solo. I appreciate that there's lightweight and UL purists out there, but for the average joe, a pound or 2 really doesn't matter.
I generally agree but it is worth noting this is 6lbs and more importantly imho packs down to 21"x8", that's quite a large diameter to fit as well as the weight so it's worth pointing out that unless you are car camping this isn't ideal as you may need to upsize your pack.
A tent of 21x8 takes up roughly 4 times the volume of a 21x4.

The Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 person for eg. (while costing a lot more) at 20"x4.5" takes up less than 5L of backpack volume.

This tent takes up over 17L of volume. You would have to carry outside of your pack or at least split it I think.
Last edited by charliegee on May 21st, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2015
625 posts
792 upvotes
Vancouver
@lhsonic

The commenter asked for the difference between this and a Tungsten. Weight (and size) are why that costs more. Most people will be happy to swing the difference if they intend on getting use out of it. A tent is a once a decade purchase, shoes are more expensive so I don't follow the "can't afford it" logic. Backpacking is expensive to get into but I'm not recommending UL ounce shaving. Just make good decisions in the beginning to save in the long run.

In the $200 price range you can find good, light, small backpacking tents. This just isn't one of them, it will consume half your pack. However this is a fantastic tent and brand for car camping. At some point you do need to start counting pounds, if you want a big heavy tent then you'll have to pay more to skimp elsewhere. Shaving pounds out of packs and sleep systems gets really expensive and uncomfortable. so does lugging around a 50lb bag. So you'll start having to leave luxuries behind, which isn't enjoyable. I like my UL stool, camp shoes and flask of bourbon. Those weigh 2.5lb. I'm not ditching those to carry an oversized tent.
Last edited by mikebc on May 20th, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 14, 2009
343 posts
79 upvotes
Vancouver
Great info, explanations on differences between the tent models and reasoning on why one may want one over the other. Much appreciated.