[Sport Chek] Marmot Precip rain jacket

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2019 11:12 pm
[OP]
Dec 10, 2004
87 posts
44 upvotes

[Sport Chek] Marmot Precip rain jacket

Sport Chek has Marmot Precip Shell Jacket for $77.97 on clearance in various colors and sizes, both man and women. Regular price is ~$130.

Man's jacket ($77.97) - https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/men ... 82684.html
Women's jacket ($77.97) - https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/wom ... 25290.html

Matching rain pants are also on clearance:
Men's Full-Zip Shell Pants ($77.97) - https://www.sportchek.ca/product/331119 ... =331119089
Women's Precip Pants ($65.97) - https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/wom ... 20194.html
Women's Precip 2.5 L Full-Zip Pants ($77.97) https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/wom ... 20259.html

It's a good price for packable rain gear, here is review - https://www.switchbacktravel.com/reviews/marmot-precip
Last edited by ross on May 6th, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Mar 20, 2016
254 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't forget to add 10% off from the newsletter discount (sign up on their site) + 15% off from rexall gift cards (if you happen to be near one).
Nov 17, 2015
112 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Very good Jacket, packable as well!
Jan 28, 2009
128 posts
38 upvotes
Picked one up, thanks OP. Don't forget ebates as well for extra 2%
[OP]
Dec 10, 2004
87 posts
44 upvotes
billrush wrote:
May 6th, 2019 4:43 pm
Mens small only
Black color is available in all sizes.
Sep 5, 2008
410 posts
267 upvotes
Port Moody
Men's Pants are OOS.

I had the Precip Jacket, but it was a sweat box inside even with the pit zips. For $70 it's still better than nothing, but for when I'm running or hiking fast it just doesn't let the moisture out fast enough. Then in rainy conditions, I'm just soaked. Not many shell jackets will be good in these conditions in all fairness though. Right now, I've since bought the Eddie Bauer Alpine Lite for $150 and it seems pretty bomber so far (and 3 layer E-Vent construction).
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2019 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
I have this jacket and while it's great that it's packable, it's not very breathable.
If you wear it with a short sleeve, you'll find the jacket will stick to your arms because of your "arm moisture", it becomes a little uncomfortable. If you're wearing a long sleeve, then it's much better.

I'm not sure if I would buy it again. YMMV of course.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2004
87 posts
44 upvotes
jerschwab wrote:
May 6th, 2019 6:14 pm
Men's Pants are OOS.

I had the Precip Jacket, but it was a sweat box inside even with the pit zips. For $70 it's still better than nothing, but for when I'm running or hiking fast it just doesn't let the moisture out fast enough. Then in rainy conditions, I'm just soaked. Not many shell jackets will be good in these conditions in all fairness though. Right now, I've since bought the Eddie Bauer Alpine Lite for $150 and it seems pretty bomber so far (and 3 layer E-Vent construction).
Thanks for sharing your experience. From what I read it's not the most breathable jacket but I need something compact to take with me on the trip and this seems compact and light.
Pants are still in stock, but RFD inserts these affiliate links into product URLs and direct links no longer work. Is there a way I can edit my SportChek links that they don't break after RFD inserts affiliate redirect?
Sep 5, 2008
410 posts
267 upvotes
Port Moody
Yeah, it works in many cases... for the price/value it's a good deal and very popular. I paid $60 for mine... maybe Amazon or something.

I searched for the Men's pants as well as clicked the link, but only the ladies are showing available. Anyhow, I was just curious about them... I already have rain pants. They're Naturehike China Brand... 3000mm waterproof for $25 or so, apparently comparable to top brands too. I wont' need them very often (and probably just carry in case of emergency), so it works with my budget.
Mar 13, 2012
740 posts
360 upvotes
Near You
Thanks OP, in for one. Shame Men's pants are not available.
💳✈️🌍 American Express Platinum+Gold+Cobalt (Free First-Class Travel)| Amex Bonvoy Hotel Stays + Airline points
💰 Tangerine (Free Daily Banking) | HSBC Premier | EQ Bank
📞 Fido 10GB/65$ 📱 🖥️ Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11984 posts
2855 upvotes
Ottawa
jerschwab wrote:
May 6th, 2019 6:14 pm
Men's Pants are OOS.

jellytime wrote:
May 6th, 2019 6:22 pm
I have this jacket and while it's great that it's packable, it's not very breathable.
If you wear it with a short sleeve, you'll find the jacket will stick to your arms because of your "arm moisture", it becomes a little uncomfortable. If you're wearing a long sleeve, then it's much better.

I'm not sure if I would buy it again. YMMV of course.
The whole thing about breathable-waterproof jackets has been a myth that's been perpetuated too long.

Even Gore-tex jackets are not that waterproof nor breathable (especially after they lose the DWR). The only thing that can help a lot is a design that vents everywhere, then you have some hope you won't be a sweat box.

I've owned many different jackets with Gore-Tex or Gore-Tex-like fabrics and either they wetted through or became sweat barrels, or both, right off the shelf. I guess it's better than nothing though

I picked up a jacket with GoreTex Shakedry, and have some hopes that it will perform better than other Gore-Tex jackets, but it seems pretty limited in its use (really meant for just running)
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Sep 5, 2008
410 posts
267 upvotes
Port Moody
warpdrive wrote:
May 6th, 2019 7:17 pm
The whole thing about breathable-waterproof jackets has been a myth that's been perpetuated too long.

Even Gore-tex jackets are not that waterproof nor breathable (especially after they lose the DWR). The only thing that can help a lot is a design that vents everywhere, then you have some hope you won't be a sweat box.

I've owned many different jackets with Gore-Tex or Gore-Tex-like fabrics and either they wetted through or became sweat barrels, or both, right off the shelf. I guess it's better than nothing though

I picked up a jacket with GoreTex Shakedry, and have some hopes that it will perform better than other Gore-Tex jackets, but it seems pretty limited in its use (really meant for just running)
Gore-Tex is overrate IMO... huge marketing scheme behind them. I totally agree that these waterproof breathable fabrics don't live up to the hype in even moderate exertion activities. I do prefer anything with e-Vent vs. Gore-Tex... it's a noticeable difference and doesn't require a threshold of moisture inside before it starts venting (e-Vent works immediately). I sold my expensive Gore-Tex Pro jacket (Arcteryx Alpha AR) and bought a Mountain Hardwear for half the price that works way better (uses a version of e-Vent called Dry.Q Elite). I've had two of them now. Love it. (it's the Cloudseeker model by the way). So my waterproof quiver is basically the MH Cloudseeker for skiing/backcountry (ie. heavy use), Eddie Bauer Alpine Lite Hoody for daily use and a lighter packable shell, and a Dynafit Transalper 2 (20,000 waterproof breathable) packable jacket for alpine running and ultralight weight (180gms.)
May 22, 2015
610 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a Mothers Day promo mailer starting on the 9th that will give you a $10 code (for use on next purchase) on purchases of $75+. Might want to hold off for 3 days if you can.