Sport Chek

Osprey Talon 22 Backpacks On Sale, -$125.98

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 11:14 am
Jul 14, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Would this be ok for rucking? Website manual says it should support 25lbs (hoping for 30-35lbs) which is fine just more concerns with weight distribution on the straps. Currently using a timbuk2 but it's the wrong product for the job lol.

If anyone has a size recommendation i'll take it as well i'm 6'0 185 med-athletic build.
Jul 30, 2005
806 posts
531 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
wanchor wrote: you live in bizarro world, bro
You mean Clown World. Yes, I do. honk honk.
Jul 4, 2009
42 posts
12 upvotes
Regina
WestCoastR wrote: I own 3 Osprey bags, and my friends are all converting too. It’s a hard pill to swallow (the price), but how much is your comfort worth each time you use it, and peace of mind with lifetime warranty.

I’m older now though, so place a lot more value on quality and comfort than I used to.

I recommend price matching at MEC, for their rock solid guarantee.
They only started (or re-started?) carrying Osprey bags in the last few years.

Definitely try out the bag first, and add weight to it in store. I’m 5’9” so would presume S/M, but everyone’s torso / body is different, and I rock a M/L.

80% of the weight should be on your hips; and 20% on your shoulders.
I've had 2 Osprey packs for over 15 years and have gotten a lot of use. They are comfortable, sturdy and still in great shape. They are pricy but you get what you pay for. I would not hesitate to buy another if needed.
Jun 28, 2019
49 posts
39 upvotes
Just got a 20L osprey bag from sportchek on their clearance for like 30$. Not the same make, but as some noted here this one's kinda fugly.
Sep 21, 2008
611 posts
868 upvotes
One is larger than the other. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Usuyami wrote: What's the difference between the small and the large?
Jan 22, 2012
129 posts
182 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Readers new to the world of quality hiking bags, do not listen to one opinionated person who cannot provide alternatives. Rather look at review websites such as these:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... st-daypack

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-daypacks-hiking

You will consistently see Osprey in the top picks. A con will always be the higher price though.

Do you need the best, no. But if you are going a lot, or carrying a lot of weight, a little discomfort, or a few less features, that sweaty back, etc, starts to add up.

I would love to see a comparable bag for $30, truly.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2473 posts
328 upvotes
North York
Also waiting for $30 comparable example. Osprey Talon 22 is popular as heck for a reason. Sure price is abit high but you’re covered by their all out warranty, and it has nice features (like a padded hip belt to offload weight off your shoulders). If this means protecting your body from injury and making you more comfortable, and it’s a backpack that could last decades bc of the warranty, price isn’t that bad overall.
Mar 11, 2021
9 posts
7 upvotes
Man, if you think this bag is too expensive or doesn't fit your use case... don't buy it. But I will say, my Osprey bags are literally some of my favourite possessions. Are they expensive? Sure. But the value proposition on them is top notch for what I'm looking for in a bag.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2473 posts
328 upvotes
North York
NovaCity wrote: Man, if you think this bag is too expensive or doesn't fit your use case... don't buy it. But I will say, my Osprey bags are literally some of my favourite possessions. Are they expensive? Sure. But the value proposition on them is top notch for what I'm looking for in a bag.
Absolutely. Considering how premium bags can get, this Osprey is decent overall on sale. Regular price is a bit much IMO.
Apr 18, 2013
355 posts
249 upvotes
Cambridge
I have owned the previous generation of this bag for a few years now. Great for day hikes and it as my daily bag when travelling. Very comfortable. Fits well to the body.

I must have got it on sale or they jacked up the price because I could have sworn it was cheaper back then. Unless they were clearing out the previous version/colour.

That said I would not recommend it at original price but for this sale price it is a decent buy.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2473 posts
328 upvotes
North York
h00pla wrote: I have owned the previous generation of this bag for a few years now. Great for day hikes and it as my daily bag when travelling. Very comfortable. Fits well to the body.

I must have got it on sale or they jacked up the price because I could have sworn it was cheaper back then. Unless they were clearing out the previous version/colour.

That said I would not recommend it at original price but for this sale price it is a decent buy.
Old version was $150, new one is $180 regular.
Apr 18, 2013
355 posts
249 upvotes
Cambridge
xeodragon wrote: Old version was $150, new one is $180 regular.
Yeah must have been on sale then. I just check my old visa statement and it was $146 total and I had bought cheap pair of sunglasses with it for a trip.
Dec 17, 2006
92 posts
275 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I decided to pull the trigger on this hike bag because

!) 2.65% back from Great Canadian Rebates
2) free shipping
3) three stackable Triangle offers $20 for $80 purchase at Sportchek and $10 for ANY Sportchek purchase (I also received the same for Marks and Party City...don't know why) and 25x Sportchek purchases on Bags/packs
4) there is a Sportchek promo where you buy $125 (before taxes) online using the Click to Pay Mastercard, you get a $25 online promo code for next purchase

Now I guess I should learn how to go hiking :)
Aug 16, 2010
478 posts
328 upvotes
Sudbury
Keep waiting. Even if a link is provided you will get no satisfaction because it will be some obscure brand with limited history.

Yes people pay for the osprey brand. But it's no necessarily to fly the flag. It's that one can google and find thousands of satisfied customers that have been using their products for years. So one can feel fairly comfortable making an osprey purchase and knowing they got a quality made product that will last and has a warranty to back it.

You can post a 30 bag. But I'm no expert on fabrics. Or quality of threads. Or how important it is to design your stitches etc etc etc. But I know someone at Osprey has thought about these things.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2473 posts
328 upvotes
North York
alfman wrote: I decided to pull the trigger on this hike bag because

!) 2.65% back from Great Canadian Rebates
2) free shipping
3) three stackable Triangle offers $20 for $80 purchase at Sportchek and $10 for ANY Sportchek purchase (I also received the same for Marks and Party City...don't know why) and 25x Sportchek purchases on Bags/packs
4) there is a Sportchek promo where you buy $125 (before taxes) online using the Click to Pay Mastercard, you get a $25 online promo code for next purchase

Now I guess I should learn how to go hiking :)
I'm no bag expert, but I do own the older version of this bag, it's a great all around general bag. Hope you get many miles out of it.
Mar 10, 2017
112 posts
178 upvotes
Usuyami wrote: Does anyone have experience with the Osprey branded hydration packs? I am looking at this one in particular but it is pricey. If it works well I'm willing to invest.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/wel ... 12591.html#
Have the 2.5L. Works well. After a couple seasons use the magnet seems to be rusting and the bite valve started leaking - no issues with the latter as they sent me a replacement free of charge.
Mar 11, 2021
9 posts
7 upvotes
Kestral wrote: I just ordered one of these. Much less fugly and less than half the price:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-186/ ... lour=BK000
I’m glad you found a bag that works for you, but man… can you not understand how these bags are of a completely different function?? That MEC bag is an urban daybag: laptop sleeve, basically featureless exterior shell, no waist strap. The Osprey is a hiking backpack: attachment points for gear, a waist strap, hydration pouch, form-fit to body. It’s like you’re looking at a pair of hiking boots and telling people they’re crazy because you can get a pair of sneakers that are cheaper and look better.
Jul 30, 2005
806 posts
531 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
NovaCity wrote: I’m glad you found a bag that works for you, but man… can you not understand how these bags are of a completely different function?? That MEC bag is an urban daybag: laptop sleeve, basically featureless exterior shell, no waist strap. The Osprey is a hiking backpack: attachment points for gear, a waist strap, hydration pouch, form-fit to body. It’s like you’re looking at a pair of hiking boots and telling people they’re crazy because you can get a pair of sneakers that are cheaper and look better.
Ok fine, so let's compare the Osprey to a Goruck, which has all those things. The Osprey is really really fugly compared to a Goruck.