• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 2:57 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
697 posts
1859 upvotes
Ottawa

[Sport Chek] Tacx Flux S Magnetic Smart Cycle Trainer $749.99 w/ FF21MAY

A very popular deal that will run out quickly. These were hot reseller items last time. I expect the same this time around.

They also have the FLUX 2 available for $975 + Tax after FF21MAY.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... =333206286

If you want one, buy now think later!!
Last edited by TomRFD on May 27th, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1806 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
Usually low interest for summer but great deal for upcoming winter season for sure.
Jul 17, 2011
35 posts
15 upvotes
For anyone eyeing the Flux 2 here is what DCRainmaker said in his annual Trainer guide:

"Tacx Flux 2: This originally came out two years ago, but my initial testing found ERG mode issues with accuracy being vastly off (10%+). They went back to work, and eventually quietly released a revamped version internally dubbed the Flux 2.1 which had physical hardware changes inside (+ new software). And while that fixed the ERG mode issues, I found other drop-out issues instead in my review this past summer. Thus, it’s a no-go for me."
Dec 2, 2009
215 posts
56 upvotes
Saskatoon
Too bad they didn't have the Neo, that would be a great deal.
Mar 18, 2020
10 posts
2 upvotes
vroom34 wrote: For anyone eyeing the Flux 2 here is what DCRainmaker said in his annual Trainer guide:

"Tacx Flux 2: This originally came out two years ago, but my initial testing found ERG mode issues with accuracy being vastly off (10%+). They went back to work, and eventually quietly released a revamped version internally dubbed the Flux 2.1 which had physical hardware changes inside (+ new software). And while that fixed the ERG mode issues, I found other drop-out issues instead in my review this past summer. Thus, it’s a no-go for me."
Does the Flux S have this issue as well?
Mar 19, 2018
26 posts
17 upvotes
I started with this and found it had a issue during erg mode (wouldn’t keep a steady wattage) and had issues during calibration. I ended up returning it and bought a wahoo v5, no issues with that bad boy yet
Jul 17, 2011
35 posts
15 upvotes
driftvenom wrote: Does the Flux S have this issue as well?
Doesn't sound like it. FWIW I've taken back two Wahoo Cores due to power drop outs. Bad luck I guess. Strongly considering the Flux S at this price even if it collects dust for a few months.

"Sitting at $150 cheaper than the CORE at $749, the Flux S is basically just the 2016/2017/2018 Flux 1 with a bunch of internal changes and support for longer derailleur cages. And by basically, I mean, that’s all it is. But that’s OK. The Flux 1 was incredibly popular and for good reason. It was the first direct-drive smart trainer below $1,000 when it came out, and supported all the apps people wanted. Thus, it’s an easy pick."
Last edited by vroom34 on May 28th, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 15, 2010
122 posts
44 upvotes
I have the flux S from the last friends and family sale -- I have seen the occasional bluetooth drop-out but generally I have been really happy with it. The ERG has been pretty stable but I don't have a power meter to compare it against. It's definitely not perfect, but I find when it is working it works really well and is much better than my previous wheel on trainer.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2626 posts
1547 upvotes
Stackable with 10% email? I have a feeling I'd buy this and never use it. Wonder if it would re-sell for what I paid should it come to that.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
697 posts
1859 upvotes
Ottawa
razrsharp wrote: Stackable with 10% email? I have a feeling I'd buy this and never use it. Wonder if it would re-sell for what I paid should it come to that.
10% off or 25% off. Can’t do both.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1806 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
christianfigo wrote: I have the flux S from the last friends and family sale -- I have seen the occasional bluetooth drop-out but generally I have been really happy with it. The ERG has been pretty stable but I don't have a power meter to compare it against. It's definitely not perfect, but I find when it is working it works really well and is much better than my previous wheel on trainer.
Same, I have flux s since Dec 2020 and no issue yet.
Jul 17, 2011
35 posts
15 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: Stackable with 10% email? I have a feeling I'd buy this and never use it. Wonder if it would re-sell for what I paid should it come to that.
2.65% though through GCR. Or if you want to skip the extended warranty with your credit card you can get another 3% off from Moola through GC's.
Jul 17, 2011
35 posts
15 upvotes
musumekiller wrote: Same, I have flux s since Dec 2020 and no issue yet.
Pulled the trigger. I missed a winter of riding due to my lemon Wahoos.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2045 posts
474 upvotes
I still have an OG Kickr. Has some occasional issues with resistance where it will spike to 1500W, and then return to normal.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Aug 22, 2013
10 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapest 10 speed casette to get?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20295 posts
4825 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
azcanize wrote: Cheapest 10 speed casette to get?
Not sure, but technically you should also budget for a chainwhip, torque wrench, and lockring tool.

I ended up buying 2x of the same cassette that was originally on my bike. I used one on the bike, and one of the trainer. And I got new chains for both. I'm going to keep the chains for the trainer and bike rear wheel cassettes separate, so they will both ride smoothly even with different wear levels.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2626 posts
1547 upvotes
Thinking about getting this, but unsure what the real benefits would be for me vs a stationary bike (I have an average bike at best to put on it). Storage space?
Feb 20, 2006
401 posts
288 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: Thinking about getting this, but unsure what the real benefits would be for me vs a stationary bike (I have an average bike at best to put on it). Storage space?
If you are the only person use it, go for bike trainer. For multi users go for stationary bike. It also depends on how serious you are into cycling and if you are willing to pay for the subscription cycling program.
Jan 13, 2017
412 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
vroom34 wrote: For anyone eyeing the Flux 2 here is what DCRainmaker said in his annual Trainer guide:

No such issues with my Flux 2, comparing side by side as well with my Neo. Take DCRainmaker's reviews with a grain of salt IMO. Or maybe i got the updated version?! who knows. I found that reviewer to be false on a few occasions.
Dec 3, 2007
701 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vroom34 wrote: Pulled the trigger. I missed a winter of riding due to my lemon Wahoos.
Got 4 lemons, 2 dead Kickr Snaps, 2 dead Kickr Cores before moving to Saris.
Never again will I buy Wahoo anything (except maybe the Bolt 2 - they can't mess up quality control on that, methinks, but DC Rainmaker's review suggests otherwise)