• Jun 6th, 2021 12:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2010
1004 posts
291 upvotes
Edmonton

[Sport Chek] Warrior Covert RS Pro Hockey Helmet $57.88 or $70.88 with cage

Sport Chek has a solid deal on a couple of warrior adult hockey helmets.

The Warrior Covert RS Pro is usually $129.99 at other retailers (Pro Hockey Life, Source For Sports, etc) and is $57.88

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 2815953_01

The version with cage is usually $169.99 but marked down to $70.88

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 2816042_01

I picked one up locally, but there is some stock available online and in a handful of stores.
6 replies
Apr 13, 2008
225 posts
310 upvotes
Bancroft
There is a reason that these helmets are on sale.
Read here to find out: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/hockey-h ... tings.html

It gets a 1 star rating.
A person with a YouTube video complained of a flaw in the design of the material above the forehead. When he got sweaty and there was any turn of his head, it would squeeze the sweat out onto his forehead and then down into his eyes, blinding him.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
2185 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
eebest wrote: There is a reason that these helmets are on sale.
Read here to find out: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/hockey-h ... tings.html

It gets a 1 star rating.
A person with a YouTube video complained of a flaw in the design of the material above the forehead. When he got sweaty and there was any turn of his head, it would squeeze the sweat out onto his forehead and then down into his eyes, blinding him.
Helmet ratings are not to be trusted. The best helmet is the one that fits properly. A top end helmet that doesn't fit properly is just false sense of security. Get something that fits properly. I would trust a YouTube video for gloves or pads, by helmets should be fitted properly no matter what.
You Have No Life If You Can Calculate It Mathematically
Dec 24, 2007
969 posts
827 upvotes
Kingston
Awesome link!

I'm super impressed that this study considers rotational acceleration in its hockey testing... This is a standard of testing that has just in the recent couple years become a standard in the motorcycle helmet industry where helmets can cost thousands of dollars. Super impressed reading this study seeing the ranked results.

As for sweat and blinding, I have yet to discover a hockey helmet that doesn't potentially create this issue under such circumstances! This is not a very valid observation towards any one specific hockey helmet vs any other.
Dec 25, 2012
199 posts
122 upvotes
Stabilo7 wrote: Helmet ratings are not to be trusted. The best helmet is the one that fits properly.
VT would agree with you that proper fit comes first.

But their helmet rating are solid once among the ones that fit you properly, and unfortunately this one does not perform well.

If the Bauer 2100 fits, it'll provide better protection (2 stars) at $55 for a senior at Canadian Tire.

The CCM Vector 08 is also a two-star at $70 from Sportcheck.

Unfortunately, there just aren't many highly rated hockey helmets yet (cheap or expensive). These tests made a huge difference for football and bike helmets though (at all price points) and hopefully we'll see a similar trend with hockey helmets as well (and I think we're starting to with the new high end CCMs, which will hopefully work its way down the product stack, although that doesn't help us yet).

edit: best price performance is the Warrior Krown 360 (again, as long as it fits, although a big part of why it does so well is because it has a great adjustment system), but good luck finding it. Beyond that, I'd only truly recommend the RE-AKT 75, Covert PX+, RE-AKT 200, and FL500 at the moment, although I'm hopeful that list will expand as VT tests some new designs.

edit 2: The Covert PX+ is being cleared for $99 at Majer Hockey and hockeySupremacy.
Last edited by Charwinger21 on Jun 6th, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1062 posts
683 upvotes
Waterloo
Stabilo7 wrote: Helmet ratings are not to be trusted. The best helmet is the one that fits properly. A top end helmet that doesn't fit properly is just false sense of security. Get something that fits properly. I would trust a YouTube video for gloves or pads, by helmets should be fitted properly no matter what.
Fit is #1, that is true.
MaDgamEr wrote: Awesome link!

I'm super impressed that this study considers rotational acceleration in its hockey testing... This is a standard of testing that has just in the recent couple years become a standard in the motorcycle helmet industry where helmets can cost thousands of dollars. Super impressed reading this study seeing the ranked results.
The study is very valuable. As a coach and trainer with significant time spent recognizing and understanding concussions I would weight this study heavily and, as noted above, combined it with fit.

A poorly fitting helmet defeats any of that, or any, testing result when it comes to concussions.

Helmets are only certified for direct impact and laceration for CSA/UL.

Concussions have been heavily proven to also be a result of rotation force which is what the VT study focuses on. They started with football helmets due to the heavy impacts and CTE experienced by players and it influenced significant change.

The hockey helmet manufactures bucked the study of their helmets at the onset as the cheapest Bauer 2100 was outperforming their $200 helmets. As they released products that properly take rotational impact into account their support of the science behind the study has grown.
Happy Zoomer customer! $36/800m/5gb.
Apr 13, 2008
225 posts
310 upvotes
Bancroft
MaDgamEr wrote: Awesome link!
As for sweat and blinding, I have yet to discover a hockey helmet that doesn't potentially create this issue under such circumstances! This is not a very valid observation towards any one specific hockey helmet vs any other.
If you watch his video, he shows exactly where the soft spongy material is placed... directly above the forehead! Compression would obviously make it emit fluid.
If I was actually considering this helmet, I would check this spongy material out for myself.