• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2020 2:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3228 posts
743 upvotes

Sportchek and Clearance items

With the number of sales Sportchek had... I'm wondering what are people's experience...

I had bought hockey sticks that I used the F&F sales at $157. However, a few days later, they put the items on clearance for $20. I was able to call into Sportchek customer service... but the guy on the phone said, they don't match their own clearance item price as per policy and wouldn't provide a credit.

I mean, I get it if I bought it from another company but this is their own pricing change...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
8 replies
Jan 4, 2007
251 posts
111 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: With the number of sales Sportchek had... I'm wondering what are people's experience...

I had bought hockey sticks that I used the F&F sales at $157. However, a few days later, they put the items on clearance for $20. I was able to call into Sportchek customer service... but the guy on the phone said, they don't match their own clearance item price as per policy and wouldn't provide a credit.

I mean, I get it if I bought it from another company but this is their own pricing change...
Buy at 20 then return the 150 after stores open.
Dec 15, 2006
938 posts
539 upvotes
Ottawa
CrazyJo82 wrote: With the number of sales Sportchek had... I'm wondering what are people's experience...

Buy at the new price and return the ones purchased at F&F?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3228 posts
743 upvotes
the item is already sold out and not in stock
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16674 posts
6934 upvotes
I think you would have more validity to your request if they had stock. If they have no stock of an item it seems unreasonable to get a pricematch - otherwise you would always pricematch the clearance price, when the clearance price is often meant to simply get rid of inventory (e.g. seasonal stock, new model, etc.).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3228 posts
743 upvotes
But it seems a bit wrong to put it on clearance so quickly after a sale. They reduced the price for a sale and a few days later puts it on clearance, I checked the website 4 days after I made the purchase... If they did a clearance price 30 days after, I am definitely not arguing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1609 posts
2301 upvotes
West
CrazyJo82 wrote: But it seems a bit wrong to put it on clearance so quickly after a sale. They reduced the price for a sale and a few days later puts it on clearance, I checked the website 4 days after I made the purchase... If they did a clearance price 30 days after, I am definitely not arguing it.
You can argue this about any item. Sales rotate and update constantly based upon a variety of factors - length of time, amount of stock, updated versions, etc. You just got unlucky with your timing. It's not "wrong" to clearance something after a sale. How is one supposed to put anything on clearance/sale, in that case? Logically speaking, there will always be a customer who has bought an item just prior to any price drop.

It may not be right, but the person on the phone is usually bound by company rules/policies, not common sense. There's probably a good reason for this, as the front line CSRs aren't meant to have much power in the way of decision making. Next time, just play their own game with them; the company can pay for its nonsense policies. Re-order the items and return the first order when able. It's a shame not many credit cards provide price drop protection anymore.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3228 posts
743 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback.

The person on the phone told me "I have the ability to do refund. I refunded $80 on a fitbit to a customer the other day." And having work done in frontline phone support, I don't know how true that is. Although, it felt like he just didn't want to deal with it. He just told me to just send he screenshot by email and wait for them to do something. Face With Rolling Eyes
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16674 posts
6934 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: But it seems a bit wrong to put it on clearance so quickly after a sale. They reduced the price for a sale and a few days later puts it on clearance, I checked the website 4 days after I made the purchase... If they did a clearance price 30 days after, I am definitely not arguing it.
It would seems reasonable that an item, which is no longer being carried (the intention of a clearance item) will receive price drops until it is gone. That's the nature of a clearance item and not a regularly stocked item.

I think your logic is reasonable if it's an item they are going to carry, not an item they no longer plan to carry. For an item they plan to carry you could easily get a raincheck (at many stores) or price adjustment. But when dealing with clearance items it seems unfair that you can go in and get a price match when inventory no longer exists and you might be pricematching against a single item they attempted to sell simply to get rid of it.