Expired Hot Deals

[Sporting Life] Arcteryx Men's Beta AR Jacket $349.99 [YMMV] (ON)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2018 6:03 pm
Aug 23, 2018
18 posts
1 upvote
Good Good price for the jacket. Very high quality. I got mine for around the same price and it's well worth the money for Rainy areas like Lower mainland / West coast.
Mar 13, 2017
285 posts
264 upvotes
I 'invested' in this jacket in 2013 - it feels as good as new and I use it in winter (out shell) and during any rain throughout the year.

Few quirks that I don't like about the jacket:
- The seam tapes seem pretty weak: I take good care of the jacket and I've had to send it back twice for seam tape coming apart. This was at different locations on the jacket. (shipping for fix is my own cost and takes way too long - about 6 weeks).
- DWS coating doesn't really seem to want to stay on - I've used the Granger's DWS spray and have had limited luck. I've tried another one since and it seems to be working better..
- Breath-ability is quite poor: I've used this shell for hikes and I get soaked from my own sweat. (Note that this could be better with the newer GoreTex Pro materials). The pit-zips help a bit but still very uncomfortable in muggy weather.
- Doesn't have a snow gaiter at the hem and is a little short so not ideal for skiing. Still works but expect snow up your jacket.

Like others have said, this is a great all-round jacket. It fits me well and has ample room for layering with an Atom LT or other mid-weight layer.
I also find the material to be quite resistant to abrasion, elbows/shoulders - so the jacket looks quite new after 5 years of use.

Price-wise, this deal is great! I bought it on sale for roughly $380 in 2013.
Well worth the $$$ in my opinion however, keep in mind that there's a chance of repairs for certain issues in the future..
Apr 27, 2008
79 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
The Beta was just revised for fall 2018 so they are clearing out the past season. I've had two Beta ARs over the past few years (large and then a medium), I gave the large to a friend a couple years back and sold the medium last fall to upgrade to an Alpha SV (while they are still made in Canada). The Alpha SV addresses the one shortcoming that I saw with the Beta, the short front end.

The revised Beta AR also addresses this shortcoming as it has been extended a bit.

Great jackets, really liked mine, and now every much loving the Alpha. One thing to note though, the Alpha SV is not as multipurpose as the Beta AR, which is a bit thinner and can truly be worn as a year-round rain jacket. The Alpha SV is a 3 season shell at best and I've since added an Alpha FL (made in china) to the collection for warm rainy days (anything above 10 degrees Celsius).
Apr 27, 2008
79 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Jimmydeals wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 4:03 pm
- Breath-ability is quite poor: I've used this shell for hikes and I get soaked from my own sweat. (Note that this could be better with the newer GoreTex Pro materials). The pit-zips help a bit but still very uncomfortable in muggy weather.
Ironically, the pit zips work against you re: breathing. As it was explained to me by a former MEC textile designer, for Gore-Tex to work optimally at shedding steam, it needs to heat up in the jacket, by opening the pit zips you're introducing cool air which slows down the process. This is why most light-weight gore-Tex shells don't have pit zips, you don't need them. Also, if you're not using tech wash and you try to re-dwr your jacket, you are effectively adding DWR to the inside of panels, which reduces breath-ability. Unfortunately, I don't know of any solution other than running the jacket in the dryer in order to reactivate the factory DWR treatment.