First 100 people gets free $50 gift card

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 12:32 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 7, 2009
684 posts
275 upvotes
davidclegg wrote: What a gong show at South Centre in Calgary! It was -30 and people were line-cutting like crazy and there was ZERO security dealing with the line. I'm surprised a riot didn't break out. When I got there I counted about 70 people in the line and then by the time I got inside the coupons ended at least 10 people before I got in.

Then to top it all off the "deals" were super weak. Sporting Life is the worst for the "*select styles" or "*prices as marked" shenanigans. Also, why do they insist on tucking every price tag into a well-concealed jacket orifice?
What time did you get there? I was planning on showing up at that location at 6AM for the card, but it was so cold I just decided to forget it. I did end up buying a North Face jacket before 9AM which was supposed to be 50% off but the register only gave me 25% off (had to complain later to get it fixed).
Nov 15, 2015
369 posts
574 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
hockeyfan1990 wrote: Crazy how people go all out just for a $50 gift card, especially at stores like Sporting Life where a shirt costs like $300 lol
Honestly I just reasoned it as a $50+ discount on items that don’t typically go on sale.

I got to Hillcrest at 4:40 and joined the line that already formed outside the entrance as the mall opened at 5:30. I managed to get #20 in line, granted with all the people budding in their family members it became more like 35. The staff were nice and were giving the gift cards to everyone (kids as well). The lines ended up getting crazy but I got a pair of Timberlands at 50% off and a Reigning Champ hoodie that was not on sale but I paired up gift cards towards it.
Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1426 posts
941 upvotes
The 6
wmahmud wrote: Lol you shoulda said sell them online and see everyones panties get in a bunch on this forum
Seriously. Where is the best place to sell them?

I think $140 for $150 worth of giftcards would be fair. What are your thoughts?
May 15, 2010
10 posts
3 upvotes
toronto
Drove my girlfriend to the store at 5 am because he works there. Rather sleep than get the $50 for waiting an hour in a line.
Sep 7, 2009
684 posts
275 upvotes
DrunkenStupor wrote: Seriously. Where is the best place to sell them?

That's not enough discount for store credit IMO. It doesn't seem worth it to lock up $140 to Sporting Life for just $10. Unless the person was already in line purchasing something, but even then if they end up returning it they only get back store credit.

For a place where I am buying necessities (like Superstore or the gas station) I might buy store credit for 15% discount because I know I will always need to go back. But for a discretionary store like Sporting Life I would need at least 25% discount.
Sep 5, 2006
646 posts
459 upvotes
Calgary
holden wrote: What time did you get there? I was planning on showing up at that location at 6AM for the card, but it was so cold I just decided to forget it. I did end up buying a North Face jacket before 9AM which was supposed to be 50% off but the register only gave me 25% off (had to complain later to get it fixed).
I got there at about 6:15 am. Getting there just before 9am to get the deal you wanted was definitely the smarter move.
Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1426 posts
941 upvotes
The 6
holden wrote: That's not enough discount for store credit IMO. It doesn't seem worth it to lock up $140 to Sporting Life for just $10. Unless the person was already in line purchasing something, but even then if they end up returning it they only get back store credit.

For a place where I am buying necessities (like Superstore or the gas station) I might buy store credit for 15% discount because I know I will always need to go back. But for a discretionary store like Sporting Life I would need at least 25% discount.
Thanks for the advice. I am going back to Yorkdale to see if I can meet someone at the cash register to cash my cards. Wish I thought of this earlier but I was so bummed that everything was so expensive.

Cash is still King!
Sep 3, 2007
992 posts
68 upvotes
flightsimmer wrote: Oh boy was Sporting Life Markville quite an experience. My winter jacket got ripped so I went to line up for the $50 gift card/50% off to use on a new jacket. Arrived first thing at 5AM sharp in the morning, there were already 50-70 people lining up outside the mall entrance. By 5:20 line was already doubled to 150, so I was good but there goes the gift cards, right?

Nope, at 5:40ish apparently security unlocked the South entrance first instead of the South-east Entrance where we were at (closest to Sporting Life store) and someone there told another leading to a chain reaction of everyone running 100m to the South entrance to get a spot inside the mall. Whoever ran the fastest and got there first moved up, which sucks for those who actually came the earliest to line up. No idea what genius thought it was fine opening the far away entrance instead, I'm pretty sure people tripped and fell during that stampede. Then again maybe security didn't know or care. Quite literally survival of the fittest.

By 7AM the line was from front of store to mall entrance plus it wrapped around, so yea maybe 300-500 people.

The gift card doesn't state any expiry so I would assume it would last forever, but better to use it during the sale. Despite lackluster of boxing day deals this was worth lining up for :D
I encourage you to go to their website and share your experience with them. Honestly, it was such a dangerous situation. So many people fell and could've been seriously injured.
Officially joined the ranks of Deal addicts across the country - 12/12/07
Once you get the first taste of great deals you can't stop...
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
Keiki wrote: I encourage you to go to their website and share your experience with them. Honestly, it was such a dangerous situation. So many people fell and could've been seriously injured.
x2

Perhaps raffle off the GCs to existing customers who's bought something from them in 2017.

This is why most US retailers are having their BF deals online now instead of "in store" only. Less hassle for the malls and the retailer itself, less chaos, less people to pay (OT).
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2050 posts
1882 upvotes
^^ I was wondering what was happening at Markville. I saw the Snapchat video of people running in from the other entrance and was so confused. I would have been very angry.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8238 posts
1205 upvotes
TO
The lining up frenzy is I think common in Canada. I was watching how people lined up early to be at best buy Eaton centre, like at 5am. Why? Lol aren't deals available online and also year round on RFD?

I get there lining up for $50/100 gift card but man....I salute those people who line up in -30 wind chill
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9099 posts
7420 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
A smaller stampede happened at Hillcrest too. Tons of people were already lining up at the entrance inside the mall. However closer to opening time, someone started lining up at the exterior entrance innocently thinking there were the first in line, and then a line started forming. At 7, they were informed that the door inside the mall was already opened and a stampede started rushing in. Some even tried to reason with the staff that the ad states lineup is supposed to be at the exterior entrance. Of course the staff had no sympathy.

The great thing about lining up at Hillcrest this morning was H&M, located right beside Sporting Life, was also giving away up to $300 gift certificates (lowest amount I believe was $10, which most people got) to the first 100 people. When I arrived at Hillcrest and saw that the lineup has obviously passed 100 people, I changed game plan and lined up at H&M instead, which by then had only about 20 people in the line. There was confusion there as well, as people were lining up at the wrong entrance and the entire line needed to be reversed. Of course neither H&M staff nor security was willing to help out on this. Luckily the line was still not that long when the mistake was discovered.
Nov 25, 2017
52 posts
57 upvotes
What would you do for a Klondike bar...errm $50 gift card? Would you get trampled? Don't shoppers in the states lose they're life on black friday when they get trampled.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6449 posts
5868 upvotes
Calgary
DrunkenStupor wrote: Seriously. Where is the best place to sell them?

Nope.
Aug 30, 2008
180 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
Off topic: Does Sporting Life allow for items to be returned for credit if they are unworn, but the tags have been cut off (but still kept just in case)?
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13480 posts
9469 upvotes
changturkey wrote: Off topic: Does Sporting Life allow for items to be returned for credit if they are unworn, but the tags have been cut off (but still kept just in case)?
Try it out but sporting life is always a hassle to return something. For such a big store they have a shitty return policy. I also dislike this whole waiting outside in -25C crap but that’s more on retailers than them.

Could not pay me to wait outside in the cold for hours to help them clear their stock.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11433 posts
7841 upvotes
GTA, ON
JayLove06 wrote: Try it out but sporting life is always a hassle to return something. For such a big store they have a shitty return policy. I also dislike this whole waiting outside in -25C crap but that’s more on retailers than them.

Could not pay me to wait outside in the cold for hours to help them clear their stock.
Sporting Life IMO has the WORST return policy for a large retailer. Anything discounted more than 30% is non-refundable (though store credit is possible) even if the product is brand new, still in original packaging or original condition, regardless of time-frame. I for one try to avoid this store because of it.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2355 upvotes
xlc_88 wrote: ^^ I was wondering what was happening at Markville. I saw the Snapchat video of people running in from the other entrance and was so confused. I would have been very angry.
I wanna see this video.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2050 posts
1882 upvotes
bombdiggity wrote: I wanna see this video.
You can try to find it on Snapchat. Not sure if it's still there as videos usually last 24 hours.

It was filmed from inside the mall and shows a majority of people running to SL (and a few to H&M).
Apr 8, 2015
230 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I witnessed the people running into the store and was in shock, I cant believe some people go to that level to get a little something for free - complete embarrassment and you can see the type of people they are by just looking at them.