Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sporting Life

Mens DESCENTE Swiss Ski Jacket $447.49 50% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2016 11:01 am
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
3332 posts
1540 upvotes
Vancouver
drumheros wrote: "Dermizax Wwb

2,000mm waterproof and 5,500gm2 breathable, durable and soft laminate."

These look like crap ratings for a waterproof breathable jacket. Depending on what kind of exercise you're doing and in what conditions, you usually want to aim for at least 15k/15k ratings on both waterproof and breathability.
not sure about the breathability but the waterproof may be a typo.

http://www.descente.com/swiss_jacket.html
manufacturer website and altitude sports both say "WATERPROOF: - Dermizax 20,000mm"

Most arcteryx jackets use goretex which is 28,000 I believe.
Nov 20, 2008
818 posts
386 upvotes
drumheros wrote: "Dermizax Wwb

2,000mm waterproof and 5,500gm2 breathable, durable and soft laminate."

These look like crap ratings for a waterproof breathable jacket. Depending on what kind of exercise you're doing and in what conditions, you usually want to aim for at least 15k/15k ratings on both waterproof and breathability.
Its a typo, the jacket uses Dermizax EV. Still, nothing special.
Nov 20, 2008
818 posts
386 upvotes
greentea711 wrote: is it that bad? i just bought one.
It's not bad, but for $450 you could probably have gotten a jacket with air-permeable membranes (like Polartec's Neoshell or eVent) or Gore-Tex Pro which are all significantly better (mcuh more breathable). The only Dermizax that can compete is NX, but that's not what Descente used. Like I said earlier, I don't see how it's worth $450.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
cyberspyder wrote: Lol. Arc'teryx is a much better deal because at least you're paying for in house developed fabrics and insulation (main body fabrics, such as gossemera). Descente and Spyder are really just assemblers, yet still command a premium price. Come on, Toray Dermizax EV on a $900 ($450 after 50% off) jacket? Thinsulate? Not even Polarguard Delta or Primaloft PL1. Or even Schoeller, their Swiss neighbours. Fail to see the hype. At best, a $200-$300 jacket, on par with Columbia or North Face in terms of technology.

I suppose if you want to blend in with other skiers, sure, but bang for buck? Hardly. I can go on and on, like no double zips or pit zips etc.

Descente claims to be innovative and technology savvy, but all I can discern is that the technologies they developed are more for aesthetics. Stuff like laser cut holes for embellishments etc. Or stuff that every top tier garment maker has already done, like ergonomic hoods (three panel, etc etc).
Can you recommend a better one in this price range? Is there an Arcteryx that's better for under $500?
Feb 3, 2010
325 posts
495 upvotes
cyberspyder wrote: It's not bad, but for $450 you could probably have gotten a jacket with air-permeable membranes (like Polartec's Neoshell or eVent) or Gore-Tex Pro which are all significantly better (mcuh more breathable). The only Dermizax that can compete is NX, but that's not what Descente used. Like I said earlier, I don't see how it's worth $450.
:( , yea, can you recommend one for ski/snowboard use?
Dec 6, 2012
267 posts
164 upvotes
The Descente ski pants I bought many years ago, for half price of course, are my favourite piece of equipment. At the time, I knew nothing about any of the brand names, and bought them based on fit, comfort, and waterproof rating.
Anywhere down to -15*C or so (-20-ish with windchill), I wear them without a base layer underneath. Above -5C they're toasty warm. I spend a lot of time recovering from wipeouts (never said I was good at skiing, I just like to do it) and my butt has always been kept warm and dry. Highly recommended.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
7248 posts
1322 upvotes
London
fightbriz wrote: Can you recommend a better one in this price range? Is there an Arcteryx that's better for under $500?
Everything the dead bird makes is better, FAR better. Descente are toys in comparison.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
I think it depends what you want and to some extent where you ski. If you are looking at this primarily for skiing then you may be better off with a shell jacket over layers rather than an insulated jacket like this. The problem with insulated jackets is that you can't remove the insulation in warm conditions or if you're hiking sidecountry/backcountry. Nothing worse than working up a sweat and overheating in an insulated jacket (been there, done that). I have both types, and now find I use my shell on all but the coldest days. You can find a high-end Gore-Tex shell (even from the dead bird ;) ) on sale for less than the jacket posted here (but granted, you'll still need the layers which will cost more if you don't already have something appropriate).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
cyberspyder wrote: It's not bad, but for $450 you could probably have gotten a jacket with air-permeable membranes (like Polartec's Neoshell or eVent) or Gore-Tex Pro which are all significantly better (mcuh more breathable). The only Dermizax that can compete is NX, but that's not what Descente used. Like I said earlier, I don't see how it's worth $450.
The reason Dermizax was used was not for its waterproofness and breathability (which isn't terrible btw), but for ease of integration with soft-touch 4-way stretch material. People who are buying Descente (and other "skiwear" brands) do not want the garbage bag effect that comes along with most Goretex Pro/eVent/DryQ membranes. That and the euro manufacturers seem to love Toray products for whatever reason.

I'm not saying it is the best from a technical perspective, but it has its uses and corresponding market. Not everyone wants to sport a technical shell and then layer accordingly, they just want to throw on a jacket and go.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
524 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Only Medium and XL size left now. The difficult thing is to make sure you get your correct size. It seems that it is a slim fit.
Aug 11, 2009
172 posts
42 upvotes
cyberspyder wrote: Lol. Arc'teryx is a much better deal because at least you're paying for in house developed fabrics and insulation (main body fabrics, such as gossemera). Descente and Spyder are really just assemblers, yet still command a premium price. Come on, Toray Dermizax EV on a $900 ($450 after 50% off) jacket? Thinsulate? Not even Polarguard Delta or Primaloft PL1. Or even Schoeller, their Swiss neighbours. Fail to see the hype. At best, a $200-$300 jacket, on par with Columbia or North Face in terms of technology.

You talk technical features and materials, I have no idea how those translate to warmth and breathability, its even admitted in forums that discuss such things that the only meaningful real world comparisons are still anecdotal and the Military testing and white papers are not sufficient for comparison as they do not take into account all the materials and differing constructions.

I am not sure its hype, its features, aesthetics, and they have decent breathability and are 'warm enough'.
I was a ski instructor in Ontario and Quebec for many years wearing this http://www.norwaysports.com/phenix-pegasus-jacket-mens/ 10,000mm waterproof, made in China, and with the lowly thinsulate you refer to its still looks almost brand new after 6 years.

The Descente swiss jacket I referred to has 20,000mm 'newer' more breathable insulation, armpit vents, and bla bla bla is technically superior. Bottom line even my 6 year old Phenix jacket never allowed any penetration from rain or snow it was rarely my body that got cold, my face would freeze long before that. I don't intend on swimming in my jacket nor am I going to Ski in -30 degree weather either, neither of those are fun no matter how good your jacket is.

I think at higher end tier of Ski Wear, they are all warm, water proof, and breathable the numbers are meaningless to me, it should come down to style, fit and price and you can take your pick. In Montreal I tend to see more Arcteryx than Descente both on the hills and in stores but I highly doubt its because of the technical details.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1637 posts
270 upvotes
+1, I have a Spyder (so so) and an Arcteryx (great), I also have a outdoor research shell which I love for fit but it seriously lacks durability... and I think my next piece will most likely be a canadian made Arcteryx again. I will also throw Kjus in the mix for high end ski year, if I can get a sub $500 price on them, just to satisfy my curiosity. To clarify, none of my outer jackets is warm. I layer up and mostly use the outer shell for water and wind proofing.

There is a very thin line between high end and luxury ski wear. I see rich ladies and their diamond studded fur lined one piece vs the more technical stuff. I much prefer to have my money going into the R&D than the gold zipper!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
Error2 wrote: +1, I have a Spyder (so so) and an Arcteryx (great), and I think my next piece will most likely be an Arcteryx again. I will also throw Kjus in the mix for high end ski year, if I can get a sub $500 price on them, just to satisfy my curiosity.

There is a very thin line between high end and luxury ski wear. I see rich ladies and their diamond studded fur lined one piece vs the more technical stuff. I much prefer to have my money going into the R&D than the gold zipper!
Kjus makes very nice jackets, the fit if you are looking for a athletic, trim cut cannot be beat. Very, very overpriced though IMO. You can find them 50% off during summer sales where retailers blow out gear from the previous season. Even then, you're looking at well over $500 for their higher end products.
Aug 29, 2012
292 posts
250 upvotes
SURREY
It's getting harder to find canadian made arcteryx clothing. I've got a sabre, Beta LT and beat LT hybrid made in china and a atom LT made in Bangladesh. All these jackets were bought within the last 2 years.

Back to the point of warmth when it comes to ski/snowboard jackets. I've got an arcteryx sabre which is designed for snowboarders. It's great at everything I need it to be but warmth. If the temperature is above freezing, I usually just wear a t shirt underneath. However, I didn't buy the jacket to keep me warm. I have other layers that help with that.
Dec 23, 2015
325 posts
985 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I ordered mine on Boxing Day it's warmer then most ski and snowboard jackets is fitted to your body but has incredible range of motion
Would reccomend at below $500 cost
at $900 I wouldn't feel justified
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
165 upvotes
toronto
Ski jackets are for skiing or other winter sports. Currently these jackets do not come close to replacing a down jacket for walking around a city in -20 degrees. I recently bought a Helly Hansen Juniper Ski Jacket (when it was 50% off, at $250 or so) because it looked great, was extremely flexible and thin but was my butt freezing as soon as temps dipped to anywhere near zero, even with its PrimaLoft technology. Just put on my Gotham Jacket and was feeling toasty, no comparison. Returned the HH for full refund before the 60 days were up. Even at $250 these jackets are overpriced IF you're only going to use them for casual strolls and expecting to keep warm when winter hits. For skiing or other intense snow activities they are the only game in town due to the slim size, plus your body already generates more warmth due to the exercise.
Dec 23, 2015
325 posts
985 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
lear wrote: Ski jackets are for skiing or other winter sports. Currentl these do not come close to replacing a down jacket for walking around a city in -20 degrees. I recently bought a Helly Hansen Juniper Ski Jacket (when it was 50% off, at $250 or so) because it looked great, was extremely flexible and thin but was my butt freezing as soon as temps dipped to anywhere near zero, even with its PrimaLoft technology. Just put on my Gotham Jacket and was feeling toasty, no comparison. Returned the HH for full refund before the 60 days were up. Even at $250 these jackets are overpriced IF you're only going to use them for casual strolls and expecting to keep warm when winter hits. For skiing or other intense snow activities they are the only game in town due to the slim size, plus your body already generates more warmth due to the exercise.
Descente regular price $500 jackets compare with what you describe
This jacket in particular has 40gram thinsilate throughout and is a replica of the Swiss ski team jacket made by descente
So it won't compare to a down filled but for lightweight warmth waterproof and breathability this is top notch
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
You can't compare this jacket to the garbage sold at Sport Chek (Helly Hansen, TNF, Columbia, etc).

Down is not the be all end all either, especially those cheaper products that do not have water resistant treatments applied.
Dec 30, 2015
35 posts
21 upvotes
Wendake, QC
manicdvln wrote: Canada Goose jackets are all marketing. If you want the warmest jacket, it's synthetic proven by US Navy seals.
Hum... not (really not) sure
That's why my friend which done the everest and others uses feather insulated jackets.
Yes, synthetic is better for sports like Skiing or for Navy Seals, but definitively not the warmest.

I own severall jackets likes Arcteryx, North Face, Colombia, Millet, Salomon AND Canada Goose and my warmests are definitely thoses with feather BUT are not thoses I use for active sports.

So, NO it's not just marketing as you say.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)