• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2022 3:52 am
[OP]
Mar 5, 2020
126 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Sporting Life] Salomon Men's Outbound Prism GTX Hiking Shoe - $104.98

Seems like Sporting Life also has a bunch of other Salomon trail runners on sale at 25% off.
If it's free it's for me!

Save money, live better!
44 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
2526 posts
2232 upvotes
Markham
I am not a shoe person or know about brands and etc..
This shoe looks so cool..
-------
Thank you
[OP]
Mar 5, 2020
126 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kunamvahees wrote: I am not a shoe person or know about brands and etc..
This shoe looks so cool..
It’s all good! Salomon is more known for their hiking shoes/boots but I think this particular shoe would be great for everyday casual use as well (especially with the Gore-Tex).
If it's free it's for me!

Save money, live better!
Jul 13, 2020
139 posts
70 upvotes
selected sizes only between 7.5 and 10.5 (mostly half sizes)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2136 posts
542 upvotes
Alberta
Anyone else golf in trail runners vs golf shoes?

Been golfing 2 year now, and the ones I've been using are starting to wear out. Debating getting "real" golf shoes (single purpose) vs getting another pair of trail runners to double duty.
Sep 24, 2020
86 posts
154 upvotes
Solid price! They don’t look as stale and boring as typical hiking shoes but I wonder if they’re solid for some serious trails. Anyone ever use these?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1959 posts
1134 upvotes
Laval
Chingyul wrote: Anyone else golf in trail runners vs golf shoes?

Been golfing 2 year now, and the ones I've been using are starting to wear out. Debating getting "real" golf shoes (single purpose) vs getting another pair of trail runners to double duty.
Good idea!
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2010
1436 posts
1131 upvotes
Ontario
i used Salomon for over 20 years for hiking, and would be the preference unless a need for something very specialized.
I would take this model for a lite trail in woods, will not take for something serious and that would include stone... - get a mid ankle boot like this one: mid ankle hike
Sep 24, 2020
86 posts
154 upvotes
Isostar wrote: i used Salomon for over 20 years for hiking, and would be the preference unless a need for something very specialized.
I would take this model for a lite trail in woods, will not take for something serious and that would include stone... - get a mid ankle boot like this one: mid ankle hike
Do you think the ones you linked would be suitable for hiking during the summer in the Himalayas? No ice or snow, mind you. Just a simple trek like Annapurna or Everest Base Camp.
May 10, 2016
558 posts
938 upvotes
90210Franchise wrote: Solid price! They don’t look as stale and boring as typical hiking shoes but I wonder if they’re solid for some serious trails. Anyone ever use these?
I've never used these shoes but I've had a couple others pairs of Salomon shoes that I loved. Salomon in general is a good quality brand that I am happy to buy outdoor gear from (particularly shoes). These shoes look fairly light duty, so I'd use them for three season hiking on well maintained trails. The fabric won't stand up well to abrasion so I wouldn't use them on rock.
Mar 4, 2019
91 posts
57 upvotes
I have these shoes and have hiked both Annapurna and EBC. I wear these shoes for light hikes but mostly for day to day wear. I would not suggest hiking either of those trails in the summer. It is their monsoon season and the conditions are horrendous, muddy and treacherous. Mostly of the tea houses would also be closed during the summer months. It is bet to hike in the fall and spring seasons. You probably could get by hiking in these shoes but I would suggest something with more ankle support. There are some decent hills that can get pretty mucky and if you're carrying a heavy pack, you will benefit from more support.
Sep 2, 2014
345 posts
545 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had a few Solomon (including a similar OutPath model) and am currently using the Ultra GTX III for hiking.

This model here looks pretty light-duty (e.g. toe cap and heel cup don't look reinforced). Probably great for forest walks/jogs, but I'd be concerned about long term durability for any major backpacking or scrambling. The sole has deep lugs which wear down super quickly if used on paved surfaces. I also find Solomon fit relatively narrow, and usually blow out at the side of the ball of my foot.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10701 posts
3920 upvotes
I'm pretty sure these were the ones I tried on a couple months ago. Weird fit for my foot, and I've had various Salomons over the years. The heel was too wide and they felt very cardboardish
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1192 posts
880 upvotes
Edmonton
90210Franchise wrote: Do you think the ones you linked would be suitable for hiking during the summer in the Himalayas? No ice or snow, mind you. Just a simple trek like Annapurna or Everest Base Camp.
For a trek to Everest Base Camp, you should be wearing hiking boots.
Jun 12, 2010
587 posts
978 upvotes
I picked up the Outbound GTX-12-BBG08 on clearance from MEC for $53 a while back since my UltraBoosts weren't exactly hiking ready. I swear the shoelaces are braindamaged somehow because they will not stay tied unless I do special knots with them, and the tread can be weird on smooth wet pavement, but they are otherwise one of the best built shoes I've owned. Just a +1 for the brand and something to reference for sale price / model.
Dec 13, 2003
506 posts
426 upvotes
Can someone please recommend a brand of hiking boots for wide feet. I'd love to order these but everything I hear about Salomon is that they're narrow
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1722 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto
kups wrote: Can someone please recommend a brand of hiking boots for wide feet. I'd love to order these but everything I hear about Salomon is that they're narrow
Lowa renegade or if you want something more heavy duty Asolo tps 520. Both comes on wide size and are fantastic hiking boots.
Apr 5, 2021
56 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Thanks for the post! I do a lot of trail running, so picked up a pair of the Nike Trailhorse shoes. Already have a pair, and figure I’ll need another by the spring/summer. Might as well grab one at 25% off.
Nov 4, 2013
124 posts
24 upvotes
kups wrote: Can someone please recommend a brand of hiking boots for wide feet. I'd love to order these but everything I hear about Salomon is that they're narrow
Scarpa is pretty wide. And Salomon shoes are hit or miss for width. Youre best to try them on.
Mar 4, 2019
91 posts
57 upvotes
90210Franchise wrote: Do you think the ones you linked would be suitable for hiking during the summer in the Himalayas? No ice or snow, mind you. Just a simple trek like Annapurna or Everest Base Camp.
Just to be clear though... there will be ice and snow on both Annapurna and EBC. The elevation is upwards of 5500m and it is not a simple trek. It is not technical but there are some challenging sections and the elevation and thin air will make this a challenging trek for most.