• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2017 11:43 am
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
543 posts
290 upvotes

Sports Mouth guard

I'm looking to buy a sports mouth guard made by a dentist as I'm sparring in Muay Thai and my current mouth guard feels awful in my mouth. I'd like to just go ahead and get one made for myself by a dentist but they're all charging $250+. I found one dentist for which I missed a promotion by a week, they were charging $35 for the exact same product as all the others. Anyone know any other dentists which will do this for cheaper? I don't have insurance from work either, unfortunately.
4 replies
Jan 14, 2010
245 posts
96 upvotes
Where do you live? We have a lady that does it for our club. She's like $40-$50 per custom guard in Thornton, Ontario.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
543 posts
290 upvotes
Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up finding a dentist that did me a favor (for no apparent reason) and did it for $35 last night.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4401 posts
6793 upvotes
Ontario
My dentist told me the lab fee cannot be discounted as it is a service by another entity. The actual guard itself has a different cost.

Teeth do shift so dentists are concerned that you get fitted based on what your current teeth positions are, not based on older lab fittings.

I too don't have insurance. But as you are in a physical contact sport, you do realize if you lose teeth due to ill fitting guard or a knockout, your speech and eating will be affected. Have some vanity.
2020 quest to find Portuguese smoked paprika 💡
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
543 posts
290 upvotes
Ciel wrote: My dentist told me the lab fee cannot be discounted as it is a service by another entity. The actual guard itself has a different cost.

Teeth do shift so dentists are concerned that you get fitted based on what your current teeth positions are, not based on older lab fittings.

I too don't have insurance. But as you are in a physical contact sport, you do realize if you lose teeth due to ill fitting guard or a knockout, your speech and eating will be affected. Have some vanity.
What's this reply in reference to? I went to a dentist and got fitted for a dental mouth guard. The reason for this post was for exactly what you said in your last sentence.