Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Spotify

Free Google Home Mini for Spotify Premium subscribers (till April 17th)

Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
2173 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
jcon wrote:
It's odd that you think that Alexa is only listening when it's "awake".
weedb0y wrote:
Per my read, it's always listening but only sends to mothership when the 'awake' word is triggered. Other content is not uploaded..
Yes, this is what I meant. It doesn't record unless you "awake" it.
Mannina90 wrote: You can turn on the activation indicator sound under Accessilibilty in your Google Home app. They both have hot mics for the exact same reason. There's nothing "scarier" about Google's implementation.
Oooo, thank you! I figured there had to be something, but I haven't played around with it. That was just my initial thoughts on it. The AI on Google is way better.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
AstonM wrote: When google knows your location, what you’re searching, your order histories, your family and friends names and addresses and phone numbers, then it’s worth a whole lot to sell those data points to a company
You have a very valid point yet assuming that a smart speaker is whats standing between Google and achieving that goal couldn't be further detached from reality.
There is a difference between legit privacy concerns and tin foil hat paranoia, and most "selective criticism" about smart speakers (virtual assistants) that doesn't make the same argument about smartphones falls in the latter category.
Jan 15, 2005
264 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
roosterOON wrote: If you live in a house, wait for your GHM on your driveway or building entrance if you live in a building. Otherwise, CP will just leave you a pickup slip to pick up after 5:00pm. JK
I just got it. Thanks to our old school cp guy always knocks and annonces mail man. I live in building.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
chevyz07 wrote: I just received mine.... should I get another one.... no where in my house to place it though :)
Then no Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213937 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

So how does this thing work? *lol* I got it just to give it a whirl...

Ju Leon...
Nov 24, 2014
386 posts
368 upvotes
Isla Nublar, Costa R…
l1197493 wrote: Its sad that they used Canada Post to deliver! I checked Google Maps and it was a 19 minute WALK from their place. They could've just got Uber Eats instead of CP to deliver it lol
you can also walk 19 mins there and pick it up yourself!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
They must be really back logged. Ordered mine 2-3 days ago and it still hasn't shipped.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
1300 posts
2445 upvotes
idontwantausername wrote: You must think so highly of yourself that you care so much that google selling your question to some company when you said “hey google what’s the weather like today?”...
You are absolutely incorrect. Maybe for the weather it's a bit more complex to explain, but for example using routines like "OK Google Turn off all the lights" every night at a specific time or "OK Google good night" for a night time routine, you are giving them data of when you sleep. And while YOU are insignificant, having 1,000 Google homes within a same city and 70% of them tend to sleep from the hours of 9-10:30 for example, that is very significant and valuable information for advertisers. Data mining is very real. Big Data and analytics play a big part of advertising and big business.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
EbonyRose wrote: I may stick with Alexa due to privacy concerns.
You sure about that ?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... iews-audio
Apr 30, 2014
188 posts
125 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I signed up on 10th April for premium account, then used the link to the offer. When I login it says "Thank you so much! You've already successfully registered your interest in this offer.", but no email confirmation with code. When clicked on Check Availability it says "We're sorry but you're not able to redeem at this moment."

Is anyone else facing this long delay in getting email confirmation with code?
Jul 26, 2013
949 posts
952 upvotes
CALGARY
northstarbd wrote: I signed up on 10th April for premium account, then used the link to the offer. When I login it says "Thank you so much! You've already successfully registered your interest in this offer.", but no email confirmation with code. When clicked on Check Availability it says "We're sorry but you're not able to redeem at this moment."

Just wait for the "we're sorry but we ran out of stock" email in 3 days from now
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
idontwantausername wrote: You must think so highly of yourself that you care so much that google selling your question to some company when you said “hey google what’s the weather like today?”...
You're pretty clueless if you think they're not doing this. They listen to everything and display ads based on your conversations and sell your data to others.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
fatcowxlive wrote: And while YOU are insignificant, having 1,000 Google homes within a same city and 70% of them tend to sleep from the hours of 9-10:30 for example, that is very significant and valuable information for advertisers
And they can't deduce the same information by mining smartphone activity records?
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1246 posts
265 upvotes
northstarbd wrote: I signed up on 10th April for premium account, then used the link to the offer. When I login it says "Thank you so much! You've already successfully registered your interest in this offer.", but no email confirmation with code. When clicked on Check Availability it says "We're sorry but you're not able to redeem at this moment."

I'm in this boat too.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
baz5 wrote: You're pretty clueless if you think they're not doing this. They listen to everything and display ads based on your conversations and sell your data to others.
And they aren't doing that on your phone? tablet or PC or whatever other connected device you ever used (including the device you just used to make the post above)?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener

Read the thread summary.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
aasoror wrote: If you think that Google still needs a GHM to make money of us (as far as the privacy violation goes) then the joke is on you.

Of course they are, are you that clueless?

Tracking voice commands isn't really any different than tracking web searches or browsing history.

That makes everything okay? lol Wow

The only valid concerns are regarding mischiefs (GH sending audio extracts that aren't voice searches without the end users knowledge, practically spying on owners) if you think Google would intentionally engage in espionage then an Android phone would carry the very same privacy violation risk.

Whatever you think Google can deduce accessing a typical household voice commands stream is absolutely nothing compared to what they can deduce analyzing the photos submitted willingly to Google by the same household members via the Google Photo app on the phones they carry.

It's a market penetration campaign, for every GHM sold there is an Echo dot not getting sold, a GH probably getting sold and an Echo probably not getting sold, not to mention these devices are vehicles for other "paid" services (Google YT music, Google Play Music .. etc) so having footing in your household (even by throwing away a $10 cost GHM is just a strategic move to get hooked up with other services that will make them money down the road).
Couple replies in bold. I can't believe how clueless you guys are, it's unreal. If you don't know about blatant privacy issues from Google, FB, and others, you need to step off RFD for a few minutes and educate yourself. I mean I literally called it saying they could be giving these away for free and now they are.