Expired Hot Deals

[Spotify] Free Google Home Mini for Spotify Premium subscribers (till April 17th)

Apr 3, 2004
170 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I still havent received my code and i ordered on the 9th at 9am via Paypal(everything went through)
Jul 2, 2015
16 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
I purchased on April 10th and i haven’t received any promo email yet.

Can anyone give me a Spotify contact details? When I go to my profile in Spotify it mentioned that you will receive an email regarding the GHM, but nothing yet...
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1633 posts
126 upvotes
GVR
Is charcoal available for order? I want grab a second but can it be done with same name address but different accounts.
Oct 26, 2012
545 posts
722 upvotes
BaptisteD81634 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:33 am
hoo honey ... :)
I really don't like posts like this. People have used Wireshark and set up a Pi-Hole to monitor DNS and it only transmits data out after an OK google phrase was sent out. Not sure how else data would get to Google if there's no packets otherwise. No, Google hasn't hidden any embedded sim cards into these to transmit data away from your Wifi network because it is both unfeasible and there has been many teardowns on YouTube - someone would have found something. Also no, it's not going to save all the recordings before OK Google and send it along with the OK Google phrase to Google all at once when triggered, because there's hardware limitations and you would notice that your Google Home is trying to send 100mb+ to Google in one shot.

I too am wary if using devices like this, but I haven't really seen evidence other than skepticism about being mic'd up. But truth is, if you have a smart phone you should be more worried about the device you carry everywhere with you with a mic, camera, and GPS along with multiple methods of sending data out. More-so than a mic connect to a wall in your house.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1144 posts
606 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I just received mine.... should I get another one.... no where in my house to place it though :)
Feb 2, 2017
427 posts
418 upvotes
Its sad that they used Canada Post to deliver! I checked Google Maps and it was a 19 minute WALK from their place. They could've just got Uber Eats instead of CP to deliver it lol
Last edited by l1197493 on Apr 12th, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1411 posts
421 upvotes
Montreal, QC
chevyz07 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:52 am
I just received mine.... should I get another one.... no where in my house to place it though :)
put it in the office?

and my guy just stop by. ghm in my hands Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Jan 15, 2005
254 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Folks, i think Patience with the delivery/shipment is needed.

Ordered through existing spotify account after upgrading from Free to Premium - April 9th 2.28pm
Code Delivered for GHM to inbox - April 9th 2.29pm
Claimed code in google store - April 9th 2.30pm
Google store order status changed to Ordered
Canada Post Tracking number generated (status at CP- item Processed (Missisauga))- April 11, 9.30am
Google Store status Changed to Shipped. CP status change dto Out for Delivery - April 12. 9.25 am

Eagerly waiting for the Google home Mini - Since 9.25am Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Apr 3, 2004
170 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Ceylonboy wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:55 am

Ordered through existing spotify account after upgrading from Free to Premium - April 9th 2.28pm
Canada Post Tracking number generated (status at CP- item Processed (Missisauga))- April 11, 9.30am
Google Store status Changed to Shipped. CP status change dto Out for Delivery - April 12. 9.25 am

Eagerly waiting for the Google home Mini - Since 9.25am Smiling Face With Open Mouth
yea but you got your code like a min after ordering.. Ive waited a day and still no code. Shipment i can wait a week or two. Just want to know if i got the deal or do i have to chase spotify for a code
Aug 5, 2012
238 posts
109 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ceylonboy wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:55 am

If you live in a house, wait for your GHM on your driveway or building entrance if you live in a building. Otherwise, CP will just leave you a pickup slip to pick up after 5:00pm. JK
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
1802 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
jcon wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:21 am

It's odd that you think that Alexa is only listening when it's "awake".
weedb0y wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:26 am

Per my read, it's always listening but only sends to mothership when the 'awake' word is triggered. Other content is not uploaded..
Yes, this is what I meant. It doesn't record unless you "awake" it.
Mannina90 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:35 am
You can turn on the activation indicator sound under Accessilibilty in your Google Home app. They both have hot mics for the exact same reason. There's nothing "scarier" about Google's implementation.
Oooo, thank you! I figured there had to be something, but I haven't played around with it. That was just my initial thoughts on it. The AI on Google is way better.
Dec 27, 2007
18482 posts
9645 upvotes
Kitchener
AstonM wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 8:35 am
When google knows your location, what you’re searching, your order histories, your family and friends names and addresses and phone numbers, then it’s worth a whole lot to sell those data points to a company
You have a very valid point yet assuming that a smart speaker is whats standing between Google and achieving that goal couldn't be further detached from reality.
There is a difference between legit privacy concerns and tin foil hat paranoia, and most "selective criticism" about smart speakers (virtual assistants) that doesn't make the same argument about smartphones falls in the latter category.
Jan 15, 2005
254 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
roosterOON wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:08 am
If you live in a house, wait for your GHM on your driveway or building entrance if you live in a building. Otherwise, CP will just leave you a pickup slip to pick up after 5:00pm. JK
I just got it. Thanks to our old school cp guy always knocks and annonces mail man. I live in building.