Expired Hot Deals

[Spotify] Free Google Home Mini for Spotify Premium subscribers (till April 17th)

Nov 14, 2018
26 posts
10 upvotes
EricLo50 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 5:28 am
I have tried that method as well as manually copying and entering the code manually. Tried switching google accounts as well. Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me. Been checking the support forums on Spotify and it seems some people are getting the same error as well.
same here
you got any ideas how to fix this?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2126 posts
614 upvotes
Edmonton
BobSagget wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 2:21 pm
I own both a mini and an echo dot and lately I've actually found the google to be more reliable with my smart devices.
I have a couple smart plugs so far to control a TV and also a light.

Recently the echo dot has been a real pain. I sometimes have to ask it more than once to turn on/off the light because the first time it will just say "that device isnt responding" or something like that. Whereas the google mini never gives me that issue.

Another thing I found is if I say "alexa, is the tv on?" she says "that device doesn't support that". But if I ask my google mini, it says "the tv is not on" (or vice versa). So it DOES support that. I've tried this with 2 different smart plug brands and it always works with google but not with the alexa (the "is it on" question).

I do think Amazon has google beat when it comes to the wake word though. On Amazon you can use alexa or change it to echo or computer.I find those roll off the tongue much better than saying "hey google" every time. Hopefully Google eventually allows us to change the wake word.
Yah, my Alexa's been giving me grief like that lately too. Maybe if Google performs better, Alexa will go up on the old Kijiji.

... it'd be pretty funny if this promo pushed me back to Google Play Music. The song selection is severely limited on Spotify when young impressionable ears are around.
Aug 31, 2014
312 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Andrew765 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:56 pm
Yah, my Alexa's been giving me grief like that lately too. Maybe if Google performs better, Alexa will go up on the old Kijiji.

... it'd be pretty funny if this promo pushed me back to Google Play Music. The song selection is severely limited on Spotify when young impressionable ears are around.
Isn't there an option to stop explicit versions of songs from playing on Spotify?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1711 posts
173 upvotes
Growingupisold wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:59 pm
Isn't there an option to stop explicit versions of songs from playing on Spotify?
yes, on your settings list along with quality, etc...
Dec 27, 2007
17924 posts
9067 upvotes
Kitchener
Mohsinahmad wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:49 pm
What happens if I cancel Spotify subscription after getting the google home min?
Read thread summary!
Aug 31, 2014
312 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto, ON
xMcEdx wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:03 pm
Nobody ordered red or green color? Only black or grey?
Only available in Chalk/Charcoal
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2126 posts
614 upvotes
Edmonton
Growingupisold wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:59 pm
There is, but then it just blocks any song with explicit content. Google Play Music was much better where it just played the "radio edit" version instead of blocking the song all together. I haven't seen any "radio edit" versions on Spotify.

When I turn off explicit content in Spotify over half the playlist disappears!

Sweet little Ariana Grande is dropping f-bombs all over the place.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16275 posts
21990 upvotes
ONTARIO
If you don't plan to keep spotify premium, one other cool thing some people might not know is that every google account is allowed to upload 50,000 MP3s to their google music library for free.

So if you own a lot of MP3s, you can simply upload them to google music one time and then you can play them anytime you want through your mini. I have uploaded a couple thousand so far.

You can even make up your own playlists and then just say "hey google, play my so-and-so playlist" and then it'll cycle through all your mp3s from that playlist.
Last edited by BobSagget on Apr 15th, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 18, 2015
350 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mohsinahmad wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:49 pm
What happens if I cancel Spotify subscription after getting the google home min?
You'll receive a fine and possible jail time
Feb 8, 2019
8 posts
29 upvotes
winenaught88 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:17 pm
Ya that's right... and they have your credit card info so they know who and where you are... Be careful
Apr 10, 2019
25 posts
37 upvotes
Halifax
I can confirm I was able to cancel my Chalk order and 20 minutes later use the same redemption link to reorder a Charcoal one. Changed from may 22 estimated delivery to may 14th.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16275 posts
21990 upvotes
ONTARIO
winenaught88 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:17 pm
I am afraid it's much more severe than that.

You will go to sleep one night and wake up in a google home mini factory in China. Enjoy your new life.
Aug 31, 2014
312 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Fun trick for anybody who's got a cat and already received their GHM... You can say "Hey Google, meow like a cat" and enjoy the endless entertainment of watching yours frantically search for where it is coming from.. Other animal noises work too, quite fun.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1235 posts
261 upvotes
Growingupisold wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:51 pm
Fun trick for anybody who's got a cat and already received their GHM... You can say "Hey Google, meow like a cat" and enjoy the endless entertainment of watching yours frantically search for where it is coming from.. Other animal noises work too, quite fun.
I need to know how to do this on remote speakers.