Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Spotify

Half-price plan for students (premium for $4.99 CAD)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2017 11:37 pm
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
1902 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto

Half-price plan for students (premium for $4.99 CAD)

Deal Link:
Price:
$4.99
Savings:
50%
Retailer:
Spotify
Spotify's half-price premium subscriptions for students has finally arrived in Canada!

The premium subscription offers the following benefits:
- No ads
- Offline music collection
- premium tier improved sound quality

It's great to see Spotify's student pricing come to Canada for those that prefer Spotify over Apple Music (FYI, Apple Music also has a $4.99 student tier pricing that's been out for a few months now for those that prefer Apple Music > Spotify)

Students simply need to head to https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/student/ to sign up and SheerID handles all the student verification business.

*Note* You can get Spotify premium for student pricing for 1 year, after which can be renewed up to three times for a total of four years
Last edited by dabomb54321 on Apr 19th, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
51 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2011
10166 posts
5555 upvotes
Toronto
Family group deals are better if you can find a group!
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4482 posts
2024 upvotes
better take part of a group-buy here on RFD, for the family plan. It ends up cheaper, but you have to prepay.

can't find the thread (I'm at work)
Oct 26, 2015
595 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto,ON
Family group plan comes to $3 a month per person
I try to buy smart but end up Penny wise Pound Foolish :(
Mar 8, 2010
24 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
Regarding Spotify Family Plan, just a couple of caveats:

- You would be pre-paying the "host" person who buys the membership annually (split 6 ways; around $30-35 CDN, depending on host)
- The "host" must be comfortable sharing their personal home address with 5 members/internet-friends/strangers
- Not sure how far left of legal it is
Jun 12, 2016
715 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
adilio wrote: Regarding Spotify Family Plan, just a couple of caveats:

- You would be pre-paying the "host" person who buys the membership annually (split 6 ways; around $30-35 CDN, depending on host)
- The "host" must be comfortable sharing their personal home address with 5 members/internet-friends/strangers
I've personally setup my own Spotify group recently but did not have to provide my home address to my other 5 "family members" and it is working fine. Whether or not Spotify with catch on to this, time will tell.
Mar 8, 2010
24 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
LauD14 wrote: I've personally setup my own Spotify group recently but did not have to provide my home address to my other 5 "family members" and it is working fine. Whether or not Spotify with catch on to this, time will tell.
Huh. As did I, though I was not the host. At setup, Spotify was asking for "our" home address, and I was unable to enter my personal one at the time. If it's changed now, great!

Edit: here's a recent thread. Use at your own risk, I guess: https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/commen ... mily_plan/
Dec 28, 2008
631 posts
151 upvotes
Rural Ontario
Great timing OP as I've just enrolled in a Masters program. Cheers!
Feb 11, 2008
374 posts
165 upvotes
Halifax
Student pricing plan not available in Quebec !
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5680 posts
3098 upvotes
Vancouver
i still have an active email from my old school from like 10 yrs ago. will that work? i wonder how they verify?
😃
Jun 7, 2013
440 posts
432 upvotes
Mascouche
On my side, what I do is, I buy a 12 month premium code (once a year...) from eBay from any reputable seller. I get roughly 50% rebate, comes down for me to around 6$ per month. Did this so far twice, had no issue (my codes were never cancelled).
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2013
1329 posts
656 upvotes
Chambly, QC
coffenk wrote: Student pricing plan not available in Quebec !
What a band of losers!!
Apple Music is doing student price in Quebec...
Aug 21, 2016
506 posts
839 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks, that was quick, I am already a premium customer, now I pay half.
RFD Effect Is Real
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4482 posts
2024 upvotes
RobertRabbit wrote: What a band of losers!!
Apple Music is doing student price in Quebec...
Are you really THAT mad??

when you can be part of a cheaper group-buy...

I don't understand your logic
Last edited by def47 on Apr 19th, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2004
834 posts
140 upvotes
Milton
The host in my group used a hotel as the home address so either he is pimping the hotel lifestyle or he set it as something so he didn't have to share his real address and as long as all of the group members put in that address. Golden. As much as some orgs may crack down on sharing, they probably consider each member a subscriber and alway looking to inflate their subscriber #s
adilio wrote: Regarding Spotify Family Plan, just a couple of caveats:

Aug 20, 2012
83 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Creating a new group buy for Spotify family ! PM me for spot. Will update here once filled!
It will be $34/year -- payable through EMT (Interact email transfer)

Update: All Spots taken!
Last edited by HamzahTheo on Apr 19th, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
1827 posts
1703 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Any different between Spotify and Google music?
I've been using Google music free trial for 7 months, paid nothing btw
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2207 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
Bad timing for me.. I was looking for this barely a week ago and went the Apple route BC this already existed for Canadians. Was kinda pissed that Spotify wasn't available for us with student discount while it was there in the US

I like the UI of Spotify more so I may switch in the future but for now Apple legitimately earned my business

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)