Hot Deals

[spotify] Spotify Car Thing - Get on the waitlist for (Free but with Shipping) US Ac/Address Only - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2021 9:37 pm
[OP]
Dec 22, 2011
590 posts
706 upvotes

Spotify Car Thing - Get on the waitlist for (Free but with Shipping) US Ac/Address Only - YMMV

Deal Link:
Retailer:
spotify
After leaking earlier this month, Spotify launched a page today that lets U.S. residents who subscribe to Spotify Premium get a Car Thing device to use in their vehicle. The website lists the price at $79.99 USD (about $100 CAD), but notes that it’s “available at no cost for a limited time.” People who sign up on the Car Thing list can get it the device for just the cost of shipping.

https://carthing.spotify.com/
:D
82 replies
Nov 21, 2017
253 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Don't know if I will need this, but there is no harm in creating a need. Thanks OP!
RFD is an addiction
Mar 23, 2019
306 posts
219 upvotes
GTA
What's the actual use if you just play Spotify off your phone? Thinking Face Nice find though OP!
Jan 19, 2008
915 posts
354 upvotes
Pierrefonds
Looks pretty cool, I'm just wondering what the chances are that we'll actually get it for free...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6684 posts
5898 upvotes
Are we going to be able to get this even if we have a Canadian account but have access to a US address.
Dec 5, 2016
333 posts
498 upvotes
AndroidVip wrote: What's the actual use if you just play Spotify off your phone? Thinking Face Nice find though OP!
I'm old enough to remember when you could plug your phone into your car's charger AND its radio AT THE SAME TIME. Without any giant dongles either!

lol. This looks to be a much more elegant solution than what I'm used to currently. I'm one of those fools who has a car with bluetooth but the bluetooth doesn't have any codecs for streaming music, just crappy phone call audio.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4455 posts
694 upvotes
*Currently available for US only. Estimated shipping costs $6.99 for continental US and $14.99 for Alaska and Hawaii. Additional taxes may apply.
Banned
Aug 28, 2013
780 posts
505 upvotes
Richmond Hill
so we can ship it to a Canadian address?
Sep 4, 2013
104 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
TouchMyBox wrote:
I'm old enough to remember when you could plug your phone into your car's charger AND its radio AT THE SAME TIME. Without any giant dongles either!

lol. This looks to be a much more elegant solution than what I'm used to currently. I'm one of those fools who has a car with bluetooth but the bluetooth doesn't have any codecs for streaming music, just crappy phone call audio.
Brutal - CarPlay/Android auto is the best thing to happen to car stereos in a while imho.
Jun 10, 2017
72 posts
92 upvotes
Waterloo
It seems like a nice add-on. But is it really necessary? Using Siri can already change tunes/playlists in Spotify. I imagine Google assistant could do the same thing. It would be much more useful if they can somehow integrate Google Maps/Assistant in it lol
Apr 24, 2014
59 posts
91 upvotes
Sydney
But.....why? My phone+CarPlay already does this. Even if it’s in an older car a phone would work just fine?

I’m just not understanding the need for something like this
Jun 14, 2017
302 posts
224 upvotes
Montreal
It doesn’t even play music independently from your phone... you still need to plug in the damn AUX cable. WTF is the point? It’s literally just a permanent screen.
Images
  • CF2131F6-2330-44AF-9165-5B36D369B610.jpeg
1 spot available in my AT&T group buy: 15GB Can+Us+Mex for around $24USD/Month. PM me for details.
Sep 4, 2020
15 posts
12 upvotes
AndroidVip wrote: What's the actual use if you just play Spotify off your phone? Thinking Face Nice find though OP!
you are exactly right, and i bet they know it much more than us :P

In my opinion its them getting into smart speaker market, check out voice assistant section on their page and they know home speaker market is crowded already.
probably they must have data points like people listen to spotify more in car, and less at home as people may have alexa or google at homes.
if this works next might be a home smart speaker of their own brand(sorry if it exists already i didnt know) :D
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1072 posts
617 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Looking forward to music in a car by beaming data directly from satellite signals activated by quantum entanglement in the next 10 years.

No need for those filthy outdated bluetooth tech or those car thingy.
Oct 31, 2010
819 posts
204 upvotes
Ottawa[]/GTA[X]
Sounds like a good concept ... but what's the point of this when users have AA or Carplay which can already load up Spotify or streaming audio via bluetooth from the phone?
Rogers: $60 20GB | Telus: $45 25GB
Aug 29, 2010
150 posts
167 upvotes
BryanS85 wrote: But.....why? My phone+CarPlay already does this. Even if it’s in an older car a phone would work just fine?

I’m just not understanding the need for something like this
Edit: I'm not a lawyer, the below could be totally wrong. Don't assume this device would avoid a ticket for using phone while driving.

For cars without AA / Carplay - If you have a phone holder on your dash, and maybe no steering wheel activated controls, you can use this physical dial without risk of being ticketed by police for touching your phone while driving. It's an analogue dial, like that build into the car stereo system, and you're not directly touching your phone and having to take your eyes off the road.
Last edited by McGus on Apr 14th, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.