Shopping Discussion

Spotify is testing new Spotify Plus tier for $0.99 per month with ads (limited # of existing users)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2021 1:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6570 posts
3369 upvotes
Global Village

Spotify is testing new Spotify Plus tier for $0.99 per month with ads (limited # of existing users)

Has anyone been offered this new Spotify Plus offer yet?
They're saying some users are being offered different pricing.

Spotify is testing an ad-supported subscription tier that will allow users to play songs of their choice, with unlimited skips, for $0.99 a month.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 234992231/
All day I dream about sports
60 replies
Aug 23, 2018
117 posts
87 upvotes
They already play ads with the highest level version ( AD - FREE) so I don't get how this would be any different. Spotify sucks, it was supposed to be paid ad free but now there are "exceptions" to advertisements... absolute garbage.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5800 posts
5111 upvotes
Ottawa
Theparky wrote: They already play ads with the highest level version ( AD - FREE) so I don't get how this would be any different. Spotify sucks, it was supposed to be paid ad free but now there are "exceptions" to advertisements... absolute garbage.
Where do you hear ads at the highest paid level? I can honestly say i haven't heard any.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6901 posts
11497 upvotes
Montreal
Pay and still get ads?

Thanks but no thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6599 posts
4955 upvotes
Ottawa
Theparky wrote: They already play ads with the highest level version ( AD - FREE) so I don't get how this would be any different. Spotify sucks, it was supposed to be paid ad free but now there are "exceptions" to advertisements... absolute garbage.
Hmmm. I'm part of a Spotify family plan and have never encountered ads...am I missing something or is your subscription different than other users?
With Zoomer Wireless !
Dec 24, 2011
760 posts
404 upvotes
Unless you're referring to podcasts that have ads recorded into their podcast (which Spotify doesn't generate any revenue from), I haven't heard of a single ad.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1110 posts
1039 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Pay and still get ads?

Thanks but no thanks.
Just like TV, XM radio and Hulu. I don’t have a problem with this model.
Last edited by sparkaction on Aug 3rd, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1404 posts
318 upvotes
Said212 wrote: Hmmm. I'm part of a Spotify family plan and have never encountered ads...am I missing something or is your subscription different than other users?
I'm scratching my head as well. Also on a family plan, and never encountered any ad.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6599 posts
4955 upvotes
Ottawa
There's a deal here for people that want the ability to skip songs but still don't want to spend $4-7 bucks to be part of a family/duo/student plan. Personally not worth it.
With Zoomer Wireless !
Jun 4, 2018
509 posts
407 upvotes
Ontario
Konowl wrote: Where do you hear ads at the highest paid level? I can honestly say i haven't heard any.
Same here.

Temporel wrote: Pay and still get ads?

Thanks but no thanks.
I'm on Spotify premium and get zero ads on the 3 devices I have connected to my Spotify account.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4851 posts
2230 upvotes
GTA
cstriker045 wrote: Unless you're referring to podcasts that have ads recorded into their podcast (which Spotify doesn't generate any revenue from), I haven't heard of a single ad.
One exception might be JRE as I've definitely heard ads on that show even on a paid plan. I haven't listened to it in a while though so I don't know if it has changed.
Feb 26, 2005
183 posts
65 upvotes
London
I've never heard ads either. I'm curious which plan is currently playing ads.
Apr 20, 2020
168 posts
96 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: One exception might be JRE as I've definitely heard ads on that show even on a paid plan. I haven't listened to it in a while though so I don't know if it has changed.
Never heard an ad on JRE, on the family plan.
Jan 1, 2015
796 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Guess you don't use Spotify huh lol
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3803 posts
2840 upvotes
Ajax
Konowl wrote: Where do you hear ads at the highest paid level? I can honestly say i haven't heard any.
Said212 wrote: Hmmm. I'm part of a Spotify family plan and have never encountered ads...am I missing something or is your subscription different than other users?
thexdriver wrote: Same here.

I'm on Spotify premium and get zero ads on the 3 devices I have connected to my Spotify account.
I think they might be referring to the "pop ups" they come up when a new album or playlist gets launched. Sort of like Netflix "ads" , it's all internal but could be annoying for some.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1220 posts
553 upvotes
How thick is your flame suit?