Shopping Discussion

Spotify is testing new Spotify Plus tier for $0.99 per month with ads (limited # of existing users)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2021 1:57 pm
Feb 11, 2015
216 posts
648 upvotes
Winnipeg
Theparky wrote: They already play ads with the highest level version ( AD - FREE) so I don't get how this would be any different. Spotify sucks, it was supposed to be paid ad free but now there are "exceptions" to advertisements... absolute garbage.
this guy is probably a Tidal shareholder Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van
Good lordy :rolleyes:

Podcasts on spotify either insert pre-recorded ads, OR can insert ads that are tailored to the user (i.e a podcast will play me an ad about fishing lures since i go to a bunch of fishing websites). Just like websites do with their banners... Podcasts dont care if you're paying spotify $100/month, they'll put whatever ads they want in their shows.

Premium users still dont have to deal with ads between all the songs in the spotify library.
Last edited by kingkelly on Aug 3rd, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3057 posts
1504 upvotes
How does ads with "unlimited skips" work? I never knew there was a limit to skips, you just get ADS after so many skips.

This is an awful tier of service.

They should have included the higher fidelity music too.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1192 posts
350 upvotes
Sounds like, Unlimited skips and unlimited ads :p
Premium family is like $3/month/pp so why punish yourself listening to ads
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
I kicked out the Spotify sub when they automatically changed my sub from student to regular without asking for permission or sending me any kind of notification. Crap move.

Now I just use my free Amazon Prime one for music and use Spotify for podcasts. All podcasts now have their own internal ads plugged in so premium users will hear them too. They are typically not very long or frequent but almost always gag-worthy. It sucks to lose all the library and playlists but that's the nature of streaming, you just rent never own, which is why at 10/month its not worth it.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2004
1211 posts
740 upvotes
Theparky wrote: They already play ads with the highest level version ( AD - FREE) so I don't get how this would be any different. Spotify sucks, it was supposed to be paid ad free but now there are "exceptions" to advertisements... absolute garbage.
Found the guy that has never used spotify paid
Mar 6, 2018
250 posts
235 upvotes
This is FUD and not true.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1324 posts
1277 upvotes
Tried all the music services and Spotify is hands down the best in terms of finding you music based on your taste. That said the bitrate of the songs are pretty crap even on the highest quality streaming settings.
Jan 25, 2020
226 posts
1170 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: I assume you meant you can listen to JRE on Spotify free tier? I thought Spotify paid him like $100M to be exclusive on their platform?

Used to listen to JRE here and there but he turned me off after the whole COVID thing.
They did pay him but it's still free
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
lol

I can have Spotify with ads for free, or I can pay $0.99 and have ads smh
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Jun 25, 2005
849 posts
522 upvotes
$3 a month for Family subscription … works well but not attached to it. Spotify lags on the Apple integration with the Apple homepod.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1733 posts
789 upvotes
zylonite wrote: Tried all the music services and Spotify is hands down the best in terms of finding you music based on your taste. That said the bitrate of the songs are pretty crap even on the highest quality streaming settings.
They're adding cd quality lossless streaming soon just don't know when exactly. Supposed to be sometime this year. Would be even better if they did hi-res audio.
Nov 22, 2017
307 posts
372 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I pay 17 USD a year for fully fledged Spotify. I simply got a friend in India to make an account for me. Paying just for the ability to skip is not worth it IMHO.
Mobile: $39.18/month 80GB/5G (Koodo) ($55/month - $13.95/month credit + $1.875/month activation fee - $3.75/month lower plan for last 9 months of term) & Pixel 8 for $240 ($10/month)
Internet: $77.90 - 1000/100 Mbps (Lightspeed)
Spotify: $20 USD/year
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1546 posts
997 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
redkulat wrote: I think they might be referring to the "pop ups" they come up when a new album or playlist gets launched. Sort of like Netflix "ads" , it's all internal but could be annoying for some.
There is a setting to disable this though.
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
why is this even here... it's not even a service being offered to the public... its just a limited test being done by prob like 500 ppl around the world and maybe in Alaska or something.

"As the site notes, even if Spotify does go ahead with the launch, there’s no telling when that might happen – the service sometimes tests ideas literally years before it finally launches them."
Last edited by Guest2274885 on Aug 4th, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1546 posts
997 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
Xtrema wrote: I assume you meant you can listen to JRE on Spotify free tier? I thought Spotify paid him like $100M to be exclusive on their platform?

Used to listen to JRE here and there but he turned me off after the whole COVID thing.
I refuse to listen to a podcast on Spotify. I can’t stand that they fill my screen with them.

As for JRE I listen to the clips on YouTube. Not sure how he’s able to still post them there.
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1942 posts
3072 upvotes
VANCOUVER
trilobites wrote: Sounds like, Unlimited skips and unlimited ads :p
Premium family is like $3/month/pp so why punish yourself listening to ads
I guess because not everyone is comfortable doing sketchy things like abusing loopholes to take advantage of something that you are not supposed to. Why not just save the $3 and get the modded app or pirate the songs instead?

As for the deal, this ad supported plus unlimited skips is exactly what I wanted. no way I'm paying $10/month for Spotify premium and not being able to skip Songs or listen to what you want is annoying. This seems like a perfect plan and I'll be s signing up once my 3 months free premium is over. Listening to an ad every few minutes is perfectly fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: I cancelled Spotify last month and I am using YouTube Music Premium (free from pokemon go) and Amazon Music Unlimited (with Disney+ offer). I have to say I actually miss Spotify and will probably go back to it once my YT and Amazon expires. The integration of those two on Android Auto is either nonexistent or garbage implementation.

Spotify just works well between all my home devices and in the car.

If you pay for Premium Spotify and still hear ads on podcasts, then that was intentionally encoded in by the podcaster, not Spotify.
I hear "Wealthsimple Trade" ads during JRE all the time. This is a Canadian targeted ad. There is no way Joe Rogan would put it in deliberately. It is a Spotify ad. Plus lately Joe Rogan has been recording and inserting his own ads (Express VPN?) into the podcast too. I don't get why even a Premium user like me has to hear this, if this is exclusive Spotify content...
Dec 21, 2003
316 posts
337 upvotes
Niagara Region
ph00p wrote: How does ads with "unlimited skips" work? I never knew there was a limit to skips, you just get ADS after so many skips.

This is an awful tier of service.

They should have included the higher fidelity music too.
I just canceled my Premium account and got the following prompt from Spotify before confirming the switch to the free account:
If you cancel, you’ll change to our free plan on 8/25/2021. Here’s how your listening will change on that date:

You’ll hear ads about every 15 minutes.
You won’t be able to play any song, any time on mobile.
You can skip only 6 times per hour.
0 of your downloaded songs will be available offline.
I plan to live forever!...so far so good.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
Thrasher wrote: I hear "Wealthsimple Trade" ads during JRE all the time. This is a Canadian targeted ad. There is no way Joe Rogan would put it in deliberately. It is a Spotify ad. Plus lately Joe Rogan has been recording and inserting his own ads (Express VPN?) into the podcast too. I don't get why even a Premium user like me has to hear this, if this is exclusive Spotify content...
This explains it well

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2020-01-08 ... dcast-ads/
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other- ... -p/5024321

Basically, podcast hosts have the option to put in "Streaming Ad Insertion" or SAI, which is how it can be targeted towards canadians.
teksavvy sucks