Spousal RRSP advice

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 4:54 pm
Jul 23, 2011
55 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa

Spousal RRSP advice

I want to open a Spousal RRSP as my spouse is stay at home mom with zero income. Is it good to go with RBC, HSBC or any other good alternative. I want to contribute for next 10 years. Thanks
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3690 posts
2227 upvotes
I went with Questrade, it have free ETF buying.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
OP, do you have existing investment accounts already? It might be useful to go with the devil that you know. At the end of the day, it is what you invest in that matters way more than the investment platform.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Regardless of the reason or type of account, you need to choose the place to open it based on how you want to manage the money.

Sask Pension that is in my signature is great in two ways. The account is a single account where you can make your own contributions or spousal. This allows her the option to make her own contributions in the future if you anticipate her going to work later. Only drawback is the locked in feature, and the lack of investment options.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Apr 16, 2020
129 posts
186 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Regardless of the reason or type of account, you need to choose the place to open it based on how you want to manage the money.

Sask Pension that is in my signature is great in two ways. The account is a single account where you can make your own contributions or spousal. This allows her the option to make her own contributions in the future if you anticipate her going to work later. Only drawback is the locked in feature, and the lack of investment options.
Fairly material drawbacks.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
maketherightmove wrote: Fairly material drawbacks.
depends exactly on what the OP is looking for The problem here is all we know is he wants to open a spousal rrsp. That means anything and everything can count.

Sask Pension us fairly good despite these drawbacks. Low management fee, no minimums and you can deposit with credit card.

Jul 23, 2011
55 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the great advice, I have my relationship with RBC, checking, saving, TFSA and RDSP. But I don’t like to pay huge amount of fee and I have no experience in investing myself. I took a retirement planning course and there I came to know about low fee RRSP. Any insight about low fee RRSP with RBC and where to start. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
EDU1999 wrote: Thanks for the great advice, I have my relationship with RBC, checking, saving, TFSA and RDSP. But I don’t like to pay huge amount of fee and I have no experience in investing myself. I took a retirement planning course and there I came to know about low fee RRSP. Any insight about low fee RRSP with RBC and where to start. Thanks
You're not really going to achieve that with RBC. What exactly are you getting from the relationship from RBC by adding a spousal RRSP? Likely nothing much.

If you are insistent with RBC, you can utilize RBC Investease which is their OK roboadvisor. You can also utilize RBC Direct Investing. You can buy Series D mutual funds which are a bit better than normal or bite the cost of buying stocks and ETFs at $9.99 per purchase and sell. Much cheaper options than RBC so not very competitive options.

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
We have RBC Direct Investing Spousal RRSP's.

It's a good way to balance or adjust the investments going into each Spousal RRSP.

Especially for some households where one has a DB pension, it makes sense to build up the significant other's Spousal RRSP, of course this is depending on how well you know your S.O. or he/she might get a divorce down the road and you will be SOL.

We are DIY but if you don't trade, then there's no fee to contribute.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: We have RBC Direct Investing Spousal RRSP's.

It's a good way to balance or adjust the investments going into each Spousal RRSP.

Especially for some households where one has a DB pension, it makes sense to build up the significant other's Spousal RRSP, of course this is depending on how well you know your S.O. or he/she might get a divorce down the road and you will be SOL.

We are DIY but if you don't trade, then there's no fee to contribute.
Have you ever priced a divorce? It does not matter whose name the RRSP funds are held in. It all gets split down the middle. Happy wife, happy life, right?

BTW, monthly payments from a DB pension is splittable income for taxation purposes regardless of age. RRSP/RRIF withdrawals are splittable when the annuitant reaching age 65.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
will888 wrote: Have you ever priced a divorce? It does not matter whose name the RRSP funds are held in. It all gets split down the middle. Happy wife, happy life, right?

BTW, monthly payments from a DB pension is splittable income for taxation purposes regardless of age. RRSP/RRIF withdrawals are splittable when the annuitant reaching age 65.
Wow, good advice lol. What about the matrimonial home? My tax prof mentioned in Ontario, it always goes to the wife.

Really surprised if it's still the case with all the LBGTXYZ movements.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
will888 wrote: Have you ever priced a divorce? It does not matter whose name the RRSP funds are held in. It all gets split down the middle. Happy wife, happy life, right?

From your pic,I thought you were much younger hhaa. But after your decumulation thread, you must be slightly older than I am.

Or that you are a long term planner in your 20's.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: From your pic,I thought you were much younger hhaa. But after your decumulation thread, you must be slightly older than I am.

Or that you are a long term planner in your 20's.
It is never good to die or get sick on the job. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
will888 wrote: It is never good to die or get sick on the job. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
75% LTD until 65 would be almost heaven for those afflicted with some ailment.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: 75% LTD until 65 would be almost heaven for those afflicted with some ailment.
Good luck with getting LTD. You know the reason why insurance companies offer generous dividends? It is because they are not generous with paying out on claims. As a shareholder, I fully endorse the practice.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
will888 wrote: Good luck with getting LTD. You know the reason why insurance companies offer generous dividends? It is because they are not generous with paying out on claims. As a shareholder, I fully endorse the practice.
I know two friends on LTD. This is not China where human rights don't prevail.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)