• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2021 11:41 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2015
50 posts
16 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

Spouse sponsorship question

My girlfriend and I have met for 5 months. In order to have her continue to stay here, we are planning to get married. And I am going to sponsor her to become permanent resident.
Recently, as we are starting to do the paper work, I feel like she is starting to get a bit too "excited", to a point that I feel like she is pushing me to complete all the paper work as quick as possible. I still choose to and believe our relationship is genuine, but I can't stop thinking that she might be using me to get permanent resident status.

Let's say things do go south at the end. For example, after she gets her PR, I realize she doesn't want to be with me anymore. And she or I want to divorce. What is going to happen in terms of finance? Does she have the right to take half of everything I have? (eg, house, cars, money etc)?

Sorry if I post at the wrong section
16 replies
Nov 8, 2019
18 posts
11 upvotes
Yes she’ll have all the rights of any other spouse if you divorce, with the added bonus that as a sponsor you are financially responsible for her for a given number of years. It used to be 3 years but I think that has increased to 10. You’ll be responsible whether you have split up or not so if she claims any kind of financial assistance from the government you’ll be paying it back.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2779 posts
1478 upvotes
Ottawa
There really needs to be a divorce thread.

If you have equity in your home you will lose half of this as it becomes matrimonial home. She won’t necessarily get half of anything else you brought into the marriage.

It sounds paranoid but I’d consider selling the house and renting. Say you have $500k in a equity and there is what a 50% chance of divorce ? Seems better to take advantage of current strong market and rent for a few years. Yea you might lose out on further growth and have transaction costs but puts you in a vastly better position. All other assets would look at length of marriage and if only two years wouldn’t be financially fatal.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10021 posts
5167 upvotes
Markham
5 months seems too short to marry for PR purpose. 5 years might be.

What's the reason she can't extend stay in Canada?
Last edited by smartie on Jun 10th, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2119 posts
1556 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
@stevenleung As others have said, I would be extremely careful. Not only will you be responsible for your ex-spouse however that would be in terms of a divorce, you are also responsible for her in terms of any government claims and benefits. Honestly, I wouldn't do it this quickly.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Jun 4, 2013
858 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
Depends on how you feel. But I say slow down a bit with CoVID happen the gov aren't actively trying to deport people out. So maybe she can extend her visiting visa or maybe apply for a student visa?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11775 posts
4086 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: @stevenleung As others have said, I would be extremely careful. Not only will you be responsible for your ex-spouse however that would be in terms of a divorce, you are also responsible for her in terms of any government claims and benefits. Honestly, I wouldn't do it this quickly.
+1

I would be very careful that she is somehow using you as a bridge to get PR or citizen.

I wouldn't get marry after knowing her or have relationship with her for only 5 months. There are way too many stories about this and end up sad, especially now you have that feeling that she is pushing you into it.
As far as I know. in some countries, there are classes to teach girls to how to approach a Canadian man, then gain PR or Citizenship and slowly swallow yours and your family's asset.

Be caution.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 27, 2021
95 posts
128 upvotes
....5 months?

Pushing you to complete paper work as soon as possible?

Those are all red flags.... no deals. Time to put a pause on things, and if she gets upset about that, then it's about the PR not about the relationship for her.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7245 posts
1842 upvotes
Toronto
@stevenleung, why not ask her, you will go to her country for sometimes before/after the wedding before you start sponsoring her PR application?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1480 posts
344 upvotes
ORLEANS
she could be pushing you to finish the paperwork quickly because her stay is ending soon. but 5 months is to quick. i knew my gf for 2 years before getting married

do you feel she truly loves you? by 5 months i think you should know her a lot more
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16731 posts
14073 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Good posts here by the others.

I will add another perspective … as an old fart
Who’s seen & lived a lot of life

5 months is diddly
In the big scheme of things

5 months ain’t love
5 months is LUST

And you are BLINDED BY THAT

You are still just starting to get to know each other

Post again in 5 years time
Either you’ll be ready then to get married
All these immigration ducks in a row

Or you’ll be broken up

Marriage should be a life long commitment
That one doesn’t take lightly
It requires sobering thought

Your post here is riddled with doubts / questions
That’s never a good sign

Here’s a thought
Tell her you’ve changed your mind
Marriage is off the table
Cuz this all feels to quick
(Which you yourself said it does … her being far too eager)

Stick with that story

See what happens next

If she’s a gold digger it won’t take long
She’ll move onto someone else

And you … will have dodged a bullet
Sep 16, 2015
460 posts
962 upvotes
Calgary, AB
stevenleung0000 wrote: Let's say things do go south at the end. For example, after she gets her PR, I realize she doesn't want to be with me anymore. And she or I want to divorce. What is going to happen in terms of finance? Does she have the right to take half of everything I have? (eg, house, cars, money etc)?

Sorry if I post at the wrong section
You will have to sign a 3 year undertaking, which makes you financially responsible for her for the first 36 months after she becomes a landed immigrant; she cannot collect government funds during that period. If she does not have an income when you divorce and your income is significant, you will find yourself making spousal support payments.

My advice: If things don't feel right, call it off.
Dec 12, 2005
623 posts
133 upvotes
Richmond
For spousal sponsorship, you have to be married or on a common law relationship. With 5 months into relationship, most likely you will be denied. Also, part of the application process, you have to provide proofs that you are in a genuine relationship. Something to think about. Like the poster above, if in doubt, don't.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4035 posts
1938 upvotes
Toronto
stevenleung0000 wrote: My girlfriend and I have met for 5 months. In order to have her continue to stay here, we are planning to get married. And I am going to sponsor her to become permanent resident.
Recently, as we are starting to do the paper work, I feel like she is starting to get a bit too "excited", to a point that I feel like she is pushing me to complete all the paper work as quick as possible. I still choose to and believe our relationship is genuine, but I can't stop thinking that she might be using me to get permanent resident status.

Let's say things do go south at the end. For example, after she gets her PR, I realize she doesn't want to be with me anymore. And she or I want to divorce. What is going to happen in terms of finance? Does she have the right to take half of everything I have? (eg, house, cars, money etc)?
As another poster mentioned, getting married after only 5 months will be a red flag for IRCC and may cause extra scrutiny into the PR app. If the PR officer processing your app thinks the relationship is not genuine and only for PR purposes, they may ultimately deny it.
Depending what country she is from will also affect it. From a country like USA or UK, it will be far easier. But if she's from a poorer country where people have more incentive to get Canadian PR, the app will be more heavily scrutinized.
Also the type of wedding you do will be important. They will look at norms from her country, such as if a big elaborate wedding with lots of family is typical. If you then get a quickie courtroom marriage done here, that's a huge red flag. You will need to submit all kinds of proofs of your relationship and wedding ceremony as part of the PR app.

Of course you can only submit a PR app after you are officially married, or have lived with each other 12 months to become common-law.

If you end up divorcing then you would follow Ontario family law rules as to division of assets, spousal support, etc. This is separate from her PR status. She would be able to keep her PR status and eventually citizenship as long as she continued to meet the residency obligation (not too long ago they used to have a "conditional" PR which would potentially void her PR in cases of divorce within 2 years, but this rule was removed).
Jun 4, 2013
858 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
rob444 wrote: As another poster mentioned, getting married after only 5 months will be a red flag for IRCC and may cause extra scrutiny into the PR app. If the PR officer processing your app thinks the relationship is not genuine and only for PR purposes, they may ultimately deny it.
Depending what country she is from will also affect it. From a country like USA or UK, it will be far easier. But if she's from a poorer country where people have more incentive to get Canadian PR, the app will be more heavily scrutinized.
Also the type of wedding you do will be important. They will look at norms from her country, such as if a big elaborate wedding with lots of family is typical. If you then get a quickie courtroom marriage done here, that's a huge red flag. You will need to submit all kinds of proofs of your relationship and wedding ceremony as part of the PR app.

Of course you can only submit a PR app after you are officially married, or have lived with each other 12 months to become common-law.

If you end up divorcing then you would follow Ontario family law rules as to division of assets, spousal support, etc. This is separate from her PR status. She would be able to keep her PR status and eventually citizenship as long as she continued to meet the residency obligation (not too long ago they used to have a "conditional" PR which would potentially void her PR in cases of divorce within 2 years, but this rule was removed).
That when I apply PR for my wife she was on a working VISA but there are still lot's of things you have to to fill out. I did several excel sheet
One to show all the details when we meet, each time we go out, with who what activities, date time prof(IE movie tickets, concerts tickets, picture of us, Receipts of places we ate etc etc)
One to detail when and where we meet each other friends and family again with prof such as pictures
One details of the firends and family we meet what relationship.

Everything have to be detailed. Also I have to write a long ass letter explaining why the marriage is small coz we held to separate marriage one in Canada and one back at my wife home country and how it is very difficult to invite guest and relatives to both country.

So I am guessing IRCC will look at the OP's case pretty hard as in trying to find every little detail. Oh and when the OP apply they are going to want to details such as prof of income, employment letter, bank acct info, if they ar eliving together they will need to have prof such as phone bills with her and his name, bank statement his and her name, utiliites bills, etc etc.

I paid a lawyer to do it. Of course you can it yourself but as usual the gov like to use very confusing wording on what you actually need to provide and the having a lawyer make things so much easier.