• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2022 6:41 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1283 posts
114 upvotes

Spray can touch up paint?

Is there any place, online or otherwise, where I can buy color matched touch up paint in a spray can? There are tons of places in the US (i.e. https://www.automotivetouchup.com/) that sell the primer, colour, and clearcoat but none of them will ship to Canada due to hazardous item regulations.

It's for an VAG (Audi) colour (Pearl Effect Misano Red, LZ3M) so it's a bit trickier than a standard Chrysler, Ford, or GM colour.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1283 posts
114 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Dealership touch up pen?
Yes, but I specifically want a spray can of the paint.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Search google for an auto paint supplier. They will make you a can, they'll use both your colour code and hit your vehicle with a scanner to get a more exact match/mix from there. A decade ago a spray can like this would cost about $40 to get made by a paint supplier, today might be more like $60 I'm thinking? But you'll have to inquire and see.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1283 posts
114 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Search google for an auto paint supplier. They will make you a can, they'll use both your colour code and hit your vehicle with a scanner to get a more exact match/mix from there. A decade ago a spray can like this would cost about $40 to get made by a paint supplier, today might be more like $60 I'm thinking? But you'll have to inquire and see.
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18146 upvotes
ONTARIO
JohnEnglish wrote: Is there any place, online or otherwise, where I can buy color matched touch up paint in a spray can? There are tons of places in the US (i.e. https://www.automotivetouchup.com/) that sell the primer, colour, and clearcoat but none of them will ship to Canada due to hazardous item regulations.

It's for an VAG (Audi) colour (Pearl Effect Misano Red, LZ3M) so it's a bit trickier than a standard Chrysler, Ford, or GM colour.
https://scratcheshappen.ca/

Based out of Quebec. Perfect oem match when i tried.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
Unfortunately the large majority of them closed down, but CMAX should still be doing spray cans.

They used to be about $35 probably about 4-5 years ago. Not sure how much they will be now.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
CarQuest used to mix paint in spray cans. Dunno if they do anymore as the one in this city closed a couple years ago...

Pearls and metallics are hard to match.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1676 posts
2995 upvotes
+1 for cawthra. single stage paint was still under 30 bucks a can last time i was there.
science is not an opinion contest
Sep 8, 2012
202 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Back in 2015 I was able to order an aerosol can from AutomotiveTouchup (Microfinish), they're in the US and they did ship to Canada. They had a fairly good colour match just based on paint code for a BMW, I had tried I think CarQuest or similar before and their "match" from the paint code was absolutely awful.

At the time I remember seeing recommendations of Cawthra so I'd probably try them first and otherwise you can check if Automotive Touch Up are still able to ship to Canada. With any of the other local places I think you're really likely to get really inconsistent results based on who mixes things up for you.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Years ago I got them at Sherwin-Williams in the west end of the GTA.

I think it was in Mississauga.

They have a scanner that "reads" the color and creates a perfect match, they mixed the paint in the store. This was done for a motorcycle.

I took the fender and they matched the color, and put it into spray cans. It worked out really well.

It is an option in case you need to match a color that is not OEM.

However, I don't know if Sherwin-Williams is still doing it.
52937 posts
18146 upvotes
ONTARIO
CaptSmethwick wrote: Yup. And available through Amazon.ca now. Very fast delivery.
That makes it cheaper then when i bought it since its free shipping on amazon.
Unless they jacked up the price to account for shipping.

Its such a good match… for the first stage of painting, there was just the layers. No sanding or clear coat yet.

When i looked at it from 5 feet away, it didnt seem painted. Unless you really stare closely or purposely looking for it.
So if someone out there is lazy and wants a lazy job… just spray bombing scratches has a ghetto but somewhat presentable outcome. Lol.

So if you take care to do all the proper sanding, layers, technique, clear coat. Your diy body repair will look really good!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
UrbanPoet wrote: That makes it cheaper then when i bought it since its free shipping on amazon.
Unless they jacked up the price to account for shipping.

Its such a good match… for the first stage of painting, there was just the layers. No sanding or clear coat yet.

When i looked at it from 5 feet away, it didnt seem painted. Unless you really stare closely or purposely looking for it.
So if someone out there is lazy and wants a lazy job… just spray bombing scratches has a ghetto but somewhat presentable outcome. Lol.

So if you take care to do all the proper sanding, layers, technique, clear coat. Your diy body repair will look really good!
They did exactly that but it's one cent difference only and I don't have to enter my pay information on somebody else's site.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
To piggy back off your thread does anyone offer a touchup pen like duplicolor? It works really well for small chips. I find the OEM touch up pens don't work as well, when I apply the clear coat separately it causes the paint to run and it's hard to apply evenly, whereas the duplicolor is all in one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)